CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
2008/11/16 01:12:03 (permalink)

CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure

Yes folks - I'm BAaaaack

This pictures was taken as I set out to find some great bbq around the Panama City/Bay County area. I knew there was great BBQ out there. I have been to a few spots and was looking forward to eating there again and sharing it with YALL.

Just look at that BLUE SKY, it had rained everyday since I got here, so this was a good sign, Sunny and 65 degrees. What a day to start this bbq adventure.

My intentions are to hit 4 BBQ shacks in the Panama City/Bay & Gulf County areas in one day. All 4 located within a 70 mile round trip of Mexico Beach, FL.

My first stop was a little run down BBQ shack in the Millville area of Panama City. I had seen this place for many years and my Grandmother lives less than a mile from it and had NEVER eaten there in the 15 years she has lived down here.

I first stopped there several years ago while my father was having heart surgery, I needed a place to eat cause the hospital food was

So I tried it and they offered a Chicken sandwich for $4.00, I got it and HOLY COW in the to go box was 1/2 a BBQ chicken and 2 slices of cheap white bread.

I ate it and fell in love with the place and had eaten there at almost every visit since.

Glenn's BBQ - (Millville)Panama City, Fl

I did some research and found out the original owner had passed away some time last summer. (I remember seeing the sign under new mgmtlast fall around thanksgiving) The new owner changed the way things were done and the business failed within 3 months.
I GOT TRAVELINMANNED!!

So trying to put this out of my head I quickly headed over to my #2 stop of the day. I knew they were open because the other day when driving down from Indiana I went by and there were TONS of cars around.

So I headed over to:

JR's Ribshack - 281 N Star Ave, Panama City, FL

This place is a blue collar haven, when i pulled in the parking lot there were 2 city trucks, 2 cable company trucks, an electrician's van, and several other construction type vehicles.

Walking into JR's ribshack, you know you have come to a place where REAL BBQ is made. The smell of smoked meat meets you at the door and says "Welcome, come on in and enjoy"

The menu at JR's Ribshack

The daily special was 1/4 smoked chicken (white or dark) and 4oz of chopped smoked pork shoulder and fries for $5.89.

So I ordered that and a side of potato salad.

Here are some of my dinner companions

The interior of this place was hometown, neighborly. There were pictures of local little league teams that JR's had sponsored, different athletic programs sponsorhsips, hunting garb, hand colored pictures from the little visitors to JR's. The place just felt like HOME.

A picture of Jeff Foxworthy signed and addressed to JR's having the best BBQ.

The table top says it all!

Dinner is served

Now the choices for sauce here, the yellow bottle was a TN sweet sauce. The clear bottle was a milder version of the sweet sauce but had a hint of vinegar and just a hint of heat. The red bottle was XXX HOT, thick and sweet with some MAJOR heat.

The chicken was smoked perfectly, tender and juicy with a great bit of smokiness.

The chopped smoked pork shoulder was tender, good smoke ring, bits of burnt ends and yummies. VERY GOOD STUFF.

The fries were fresh and hot.

The side (8oz) of potato salad. It was a "mashed potato" salad lots of mustard but little else in the way of flavor. A bit of a disappointment.

My waitress was johnny on the spot with the 32oz refills of Iced Tea. It was good and clear, went down way to fast.

I was still saving room for dessert, the sign at the front door said the dessert of the day was fresh apple cobbler with ice cream.

I chose that, but was told that the last of the cobbler was just served to the table with all the construction workers. So I went with Plan B..... Anyone.....Anyone.

You guessed it - FRESH HOMEMADE BANANANANA PUDDIN

EAT YOUR HEART OUT BB!!

I was quite full after that and for only $10.83.

I got back into the car and headed the 25 miles to my next BBQ destination.

Red Roof BBQ in Wewahitchka, FL

The sign said OPEN, the sign in the window said OPEN, the door LOCKED and the lights off.

I had been TRAVELINMANNED AGAIN!!!

So onto my next stop, but first a stop by a fully engulfed pick up truck and wait for the local fire dept to put the fire out..........
Or maybe to sweep up what's left......

We sat there on the road for 15 minutes before the fire dept showed up, they were then more worried that the truck fire had started the rows of pine trees on fire, so they quickly doused the beginnings of a forest fire, and let us move on down the road.

(The truck was a TOTAL loss!!!!)

I arrived at Port St. Joe, FL - home of the FL state constitution's convention, home of the St Joe Company, the largest land owner in the state of FL.

AL

I saw this and thought of you

The St Joe Line only recently was taken over by CSX.

Ok back to BBQ

My final stop of the day.

Paul Gant's BBQ - By the overpass on US 98, St. Joe, FL

The pit was still smokin when I pulled in always a good sign.

I was still full from the earlier stop at JR's so I chose a chopped smoked pork sandwich, chips and tea for $5.00

As you can see the compartment of the clamshell styrofoam container was FULL of smoked pork, burnt ends and bits.

OMG - This is what smoked pork should be like, tender, smokey, succulent. The sauce wasn't needed, but it was sampled, a home brew slightly thin, sweet and vinegary yummmmmm.

The only drink they had was SWEET tea, so I had a glass (WOW, I had not had someting with sugar in it for a VERY long time, the tea was good but it was definately SWEET tea)

So all in all I don' think I did too bad

2 GREAT STOPS - JR's Ribshack and Paul Gant's BBQ
1 Stop closed for no reason Red Roof BBQ
1 Stop closed for good - RIP GLENN'S BBQ

27 Replies Related Threads

TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 05:48:13 (permalink)
    Yum, cravings now for BBQ at 547A LOL. What the heck is a chicken fritter, any idea (stop #1 menu)? I'll have to share these with my mom, she lives down in that area, great pics!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 07:36:32 (permalink)
    Travelmanned twice! Ugh! Looks like you survived. Woderful photos of the food. Makes me want to revisit the panhandle again.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6349
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 07:37:13 (permalink)
    Jr's looks like the bargain of the universe....wow....I'd like to travel through that menu!!!!
    crew84row
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 12:17:54 (permalink)
    Hey CK,

Don't forget the Mullet Festival in Pancea next Saturday!

Somebody will probably have some Q there.

Crew
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 12:25:40 (permalink)
    Don , is 5:30 or 6:00 OK for dinner at Hunt's Seafood the day after Thanksgiving ?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 12:42:37 (permalink)

Don,
    Thanks for the RR Photos of that St.Joe's 2-6-2 and Tender. It's a beauty !!

Sorry you lost 50% of the attempts at BBQ, but on the other hand batting .500 is considered pretty good, Isn't It??
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 14:40:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

Don , is 5:30 or 6:00 OK for dinner at Hunt's Seafood the day after Thanksgiving ?

Either time will work for me, you decide
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 14:42:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TnTinCT

Yum, cravings now for BBQ at 547A LOL. What the heck is a chicken fritter, any idea (stop #1 menu)? I'll have to share these with my mom, she lives down in that area, great pics!

it is a breaded chicken patty
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 15:21:57 (permalink)
    That is some mighty fine looking BBQ, now I am hungry
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 16:15:23 (permalink)
    CajunKing - mighty fine looking pork on that last stop. How was the pudding?
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 16:17:09 (permalink)
    Don,how about 5:30 ? That would be great for me & Paul . I hope that time is OK for Joe & Rinda .....
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 17:02:16 (permalink)
    Well, you're off and running again Donald. The food at both places looks delicious and the prices at JR's are a real bargain. Great pics as usual.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 20:05:11 (permalink)
    CajunKing,
    GREAT trip report! Sorry you were rained out twice, but you made two other home runs, it seems.
    That part of Florida is south south Alabama on a certain level, so finding real Southern food should be a cinch there... easier than in, say, Polk County, on down the peninsula.
    You're makin' me HONGRY!
    Wishing I Were On 'Cue, Ort. Carlton in Pitless, Piteous Athens, Georgia.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8657
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 20:39:05 (permalink)
    If only I could see blue sky........
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 20:49:50 (permalink)
    Wish the restaurants around here would offer pulled pork.

We have lots of tri tip and what they think is brisket.

You are indeed privelidged. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/16 20:51:04 (permalink)
    Wish the restaurants around here would offer pulled pork.

We have lots of tri tip and what they think is brisket.

You are indeed privelidged. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/17 00:00:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

CajunKing - mighty fine looking pork on that last stop. How was the pudding?

Dense, full of flavor and bits of 'nana - they way it should be.

I almost got the 16oz size to go.

My bloodsugar level was through the roof anyway that night.

I am headed back that way sometime this week, taking my granny on an early birthday meal.

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/17 01:32:21 (permalink)
    Prices look like the Depression..Either one..Take your pick...
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5213
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/17 09:43:50 (permalink)
    Any idea why JR's no longer sells beer?

"The new owner changed the way things were done and the business failed within 3 months."

Ties right into Joerogo's thread about how running a restaurant is so easy that anyone could do it...

Brad
    Tumbleweed365
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/17 10:19:45 (permalink)
    Ohhhhh, you're killing me, I can't wait to get back down there !

We went to a play at the little restored theater in Appalach. and Paul Gant
    catered the dinner before the play. It was a wonderful spread, great food,
    and the nicest family.
    Paul wasn't there that night but his family were a joy to talk to.

I've seen the train many times. As the daughter of a RR father ( Norfolk and Western then), I love anything related to the old trains.
    We went on a nature specific boat trip on the Appalachicola River and got to see, from the water, the very old, very heavy RR bridge turn sideways to let boats thru. A very impressive sight when that big thing rumbles to life.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/17 22:42:26 (permalink)
    I dunno Don... You're making me crave 'Q more and more every time you do a report... Which by the way was a nice one... Again!! Thanks..

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/20 09:06:29 (permalink)
    CajunKing, Your front page news. Great trip report and review.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/21 19:00:02 (permalink)
    Absolutely lovely. I love Florida and GOOD BBQ, and you're so fortunate to have both at once. Thank you so much for sharing this report. I love BBQ trucks and shacks! We're SO bereft here in my part of New Jersey with maybe a few exceptions (and they wouldn't be open now...it's going down to the 20s tonight...again.)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10485
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2008/11/22 08:40:37 (permalink)
    Fantastic looking banana pudding, one of my real weaknesses. Excellent job on the review, too, CK!
    ai4gf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2010/01/07 10:50:14 (permalink)
    I love Paul Gant's!  Couple of notes:  I am pretty sure they are only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  They close on Saturday as soon as the BBQ runs out, so get there early! 

They also serve greens (collards?) on Thursday only.

Best BBQ I've had.  I like the ribs and the boston butt (pulled pork).
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2010/01/07 11:53:42 (permalink)
    I missed this the first time, two for four huh?  Well at least the two you got were goodies.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: CajunKing's Florida Panhandle BBQ Adventure 2010/01/07 12:30:54 (permalink)
    Cajun King,
      I was pleased to see this report, but miss your updates. Are you headed back to the Gulf Shore this winter?  We miss your travel reports.
    AL
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1