Cake: Applesauce for Oil as sub

Author
bandman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2004/05/02 17:16:28 (permalink)

Cake: Applesauce for Oil as sub

I made a cake last week using egg beaters for the eggs and applesauce in place of the oil. As I figure it, the cake which was about 13 grams of fat per serving dropped to about 3.5 grams of fat per serving. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the cake, although delicious, was not quite cooked all the way through. It was also a little more dense than a normal cake.

COuld some of you experts help me out here. Should I increase or decrease the applesauce (used in place of oil) or should I cook it a little longer? Maybe a change in the baking temp would make a difference? You folks tell me what to do and I'll give it a try.

I have a heart condition (I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass 10-weeks ago). I am keeping my diet at 20-25 grams of fat per day, but I really miss eating a good piece of cake for dessert now and then.

By the way, just by dropping the fat grams in my diet I have lost 46-pounds in 10-weeks. I hope I can find a way to bake and still stay on my diet. I have 38 more pounds to lose to reach my goal of 200 pounds!

4 Replies Related Threads

ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Cake: Applesauce for Oil as sub 2004/05/02 17:55:19 (permalink)
    I've had good luck using prune and apple puree, found in the baby food section of the store. I can't recall where I learned that prune puree gives baked goods many of the same attributes as fat and oil. When I first started making this substitution, I didn't have much luck if I replaced all the oil with the puree, so now I replace about 3/4 of the oil with it.

I also have had success replacing half the sugar with Splenda.

If you learn of any good tricks, keep us posted!
    bandman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Cake: Applesauce for Oil as sub 2004/05/02 19:23:34 (permalink)
    I made the excat same cake tonight increasing the temp a little and I also used miniature bundt pans (Nordicware 6 to a pan). It came out perfect with the exception that it rose just a little above the tops of the little cups. My daughter and I cut the overage off and ate them as warm cookies!!! Man!!!! It was good to have a piece of cake again!!! Now I just need to control myself not to eat it too often!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Cake: Applesauce for Oil as sub 2004/05/03 11:10:40 (permalink)
    I agree that replacing 3/4 of the oil makes a better cake than replacing all of the oil. I've found that cakes made with applesauce don't keep as well, either. They tend to get soggy after a day or two. It helps a little if you can drain some of the liquid from the applesauce before it goes into the mix. I've got a little gadget for making yogurt cheese that also works for draining applesauce. You need a VERY fine mesh.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cake: Applesauce for Oil as sub 2004/05/04 08:54:00 (permalink)
    I've substituted applesauce for oil when making cupcakes. They do well
    since I usually serve them to my Sunday School children the next day .
    Also, I always use less oil than called for when I do make cupcakes with oil.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1