Cake for Bake Sale

Author
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
2004/04/19 10:34:42 (permalink)

Cake for Bake Sale

I have been asked to make a cake for our Senior Citizens bake sale this weekend and can't decide what to make. Any suggestions? I want something that will transport easily but really looks pretty enough for someone to want to purchase. I also want it to taste really good.

20 Replies Related Threads

chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/19 11:15:46 (permalink)
    I think that a small sign indicating that it is NOT a box mix cake would make it a best seller! Lots of coconut frosting wouldn't hurt either.
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/19 11:19:34 (permalink)
    Emsmom,

Anything in a Bundt pan. One of my favorites is a chocolate rum cake recipe that I got online:
    http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/ChocolateRumCake.asp I use amber or dark rum, and it's best if you make it a day or two ahead so that the flavors soak in.

If rum cake is too racy, here's a recipe I just tried for our Easter dinner, and it was a big hit (from the "Taste of Home" magazine):
    Marble Chiffon Cake
    1/3 cup baking cocoa
    1/4 cup boiling water
    3 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp vegetable oil

In a bowl, combine cocoa, boiling water, the 3 tbsp sugar and the 2 tbsp of oil; whisk until smooth. Cool.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups sugar

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and the 1 1/2 cups of sugar.

7 eggs yolks
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Whisk egg yolks, water, and oil; add to the dry ingredients. Beat until well blended.

7 egg whites
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form; fold into batter.

Remove two cups of batter; stir into cocoa mixture. Mix 2 tsp grated orange peel into the remaining batter.

Alternately spoon the batters into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Swirl with a knife. Bake at 325 degrees for 70-75 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Invert the cake pan and let cool. Use a knife to pry the cake away from the edges of the pan, and release the cake from the pan. Place the cake, right-side-up, on a serving plate.

GLAZE:
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    3 to 4 tbsp orange juice
    1/2 tsp grated orange peel

Combine the sugar, butter, and enough orange juice to reach desired consistency. Add orange peel. Spoon over cake. (I just melted some chocolate and mixed in some orange peel and poured that over the cake, instead of making this glaze.)

JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/22 00:00:54 (permalink)
    If you bake w/ any regularity, invest in one of those new rose-shaped bundt pans and bake any recipe you want in it, dusted w/ powdered sugar or drizzled w/ a glaze. It's a unique presentation and always impressively beautiful. I bet those seniors have never seen anything like it!
    chezkatie
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/22 07:36:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JaneDough

If you bake w/ any regularity, invest in one of those new rose-shaped bundt pans and bake any recipe you want in it, dusted w/ powdered sugar or drizzled w/ a glaze. It's a unique presentation and always impressively beautiful. I bet those seniors have never seen anything like it!

Jane, I am laughing my head off................I am a senior and bought this pan months ago. My daughter in law had to have a cake for fellowship hour and forgot until late the evening before so this "senior" went to work and baked a cake in it, dusted it with powdered sugar and she was off to church with it. All the YOUNG gals wanted to know how it was ever made!
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/22 08:49:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by JaneDough

Jane, I am laughing my head off................I am a senior and bought this pan months ago. My daughter in law had to have a cake for fellowship hour and forgot until late the evening before so this "senior" went to work and baked a cake in it, dusted it with powdered sugar and she was off to church with it. All the YOUNG gals wanted to know how it was ever made!
    Chez, that IS funny! Like anything else, it all depends on your POV. I'm an "in-betweener" (age-wise), so I guess I'm still young enough to be impressed with it, and just old enough not to be. (or vice-versa )
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/22 09:48:03 (permalink)
    Buy a container of Hershey's cocoa (powder) for baking. The recipe on the box for Perfectly Chocolatey Chocolate Cake (I hope that is correct) is for a two layer chocolate cake and frosting. I have made it a few times. Easy to make cakes and frosting. It always gets rave reviews. You can decorate the frosting any way you like.

It takes a little time because you need to allow the cakes to cool completely. I make them the night before.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 05:15:17 (permalink)
    I will give up my sainted mother's easy apple cake recipe:

2 eggs
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 cups flour
    2 tsps cinnamon
    2 tsps baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    5 medium red apples, peeled and cored
    1 cup walnuts

Put apples in food processor or blender and blend til small chunks
    Dump apples and everything else into bowl and blend well.
    Bake at 350 in a 9 x 13 inch pan for about 45 minutes or until firm in middle.
    Frosting:
    1 box powdered sugar
    1 box cream cheese
    1 tsp vanilla
    a little milk
    blend together until smooth
    frost cake and top with more walnuts.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 08:48:52 (permalink)
    Jane, (or anybody) have you ever tried those pliable silicone baking pans? What is your opinion on them? Thanks
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 15:45:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Jane, (or anybody) have you ever tried those pliable silicone baking pans? What is your opinion on them? Thanks

I have a silicone bundt pan, I've used it several times and I'm not that happy with the way it browns (or doesn't brown)... it's very uneven in my experience. So it's easy to clean and store, it's performance in the oven isn't satisfactory.
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 16:30:37 (permalink)
    Barbara, I have so much baking equipment and so little storage space that I haven't bought anything new in a long time. If I don't already have it, I probably don't need it! Sorry that Jennifer had a bad experience with the silicon stuff, but glad I read about it 'cuz now you saved me from wasting my money on it. I DO, however, recommend the silicon pads to line cookie sheets. NOTHING sticks to them, and they're reusable almost to the point of being indestructable, unlike all the trees we lose to parchment paper.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 16:44:00 (permalink)
    Jane is right about the silicon pads. We make tuiles at the restaurant and the only thing that's guaranteed they will NOT stick to is a silicon pad. They're made in France and indestructable. Just wipe them with a clean towel and keep on baking.
    chezkatie
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 16:48:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Jane is right about the silicon pads. We make tuiles at the restaurant and the only thing that's guaranteed they will NOT stick to is a silicon pad. They're made in France and indestructable. Just wipe them with a clean towel and keep on baking.

Another vote here............they are just wonderful! I cannot believe how well they work and so easy to clean.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/23 19:02:28 (permalink)
    Let me add my vote for the Silpat type products..also the silicone hot pads instead of the usual cloth ones... I am also a recent convert to baking stones..
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/24 10:53:46 (permalink)
    I got for Christmas a silicone mitt for your hand. I wanted it to help me carve the hot turkey. I always seem to need something to cover the hand that is holding the slices. I haven't tried it yet. I have the silpat thing. Used it once. Can you go to the very edge, or just to the border?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15222
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/24 11:03:30 (permalink)
    Ladies,
    Where is the thread about the 'Cat Box Cake' that drew so many comments last year sometime? As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought of that and laughed for ages!

Found it...here's the link-- http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1747&SearchTerms=+CAT+BOX
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/24 19:47:12 (permalink)
    Perfect for a "Fear Factor" theme party! Add flower pot cakes w/ gummy worms, too. Positively YEEECCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/25 09:41:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Ladies,
    Where is the thread about the 'Cat Box Cake' that drew so many comments last year sometime? As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought of that and laughed for ages!

Thanks Mr. Mayor for reviving that thread, I hadn't seen that before.

So, Emsmom, what did you end up taking?
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/26 09:24:05 (permalink)
    I ended up making a 7 up sheet cake with a boiled pineapple coconut icing. Their bake sale was a success. I think that they made about $500.00 on it. My husband brought home a pecan pie from it. It was pretty good, but I don't think of pecan pie in April as much as I do in November and December
    quote:
    Originally posted by ahmicchick

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Ladies,

Thanks Mr. Mayor for reviving that thread, I hadn't seen that before.

So, Emsmom, what did you end up taking?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/26 11:34:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

I ended up making a 7 up sheet cake with a boiled pineapple coconut icing.

Sounds good---i'd have bought it!!
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cake for Bake Sale 2004/04/26 12:13:57 (permalink)
    Yum, me too!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1