Cake or pie? You choose...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 15:18:45 (permalink)
i don't have a strong preference either way. It depends on what kind of pie or cake we're talking about and where it came from. I'll take my mom's pound cake or cobbler over any other pie or cake, homemade or store-bought. However, a good commercially produced german chocolate cake or cherry pie can be better than some of the home-made pies and cakes I've had.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 15:21:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Pie, pie, PIE!! (Well, actually, since tiki mentioned COBBLER, my grandmother's blackberry cobbler was my original favorite dessert.)

You can keep every cake that's ever been made; I won't fight anyone over a cake.

-------------

Maynerd, because of our "discussion" last week, I got a wild hair and drove up to Hico last Saturday to pick up a couple of cases of Dublin Dr. Pepper and eat at Koffee Kup. Had the chicken-fried steak and their homemade onion rings (OMG - ) !!!

For "dessert", I bought a whole Fresh Strawberry Pie to go. I brought it home on Saturday night, and by midday Sunday, my wife, daughter and I had finished it off. And it was a BIG pie!

I also found that they have a website: http://www.koffeekupfamilyrestaurant.com/about.htm

Bushie, I'm Key Lime Pie green with envy!
BTW where in Hico did you get the Dublin DP?

That Strawberry pie a special of the day? I don't see it on their on-line menu.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 16:00:28 (permalink)
The one "cake" I like is made from chocolate wafers and whipped cream. These chocolate wafers are sort of like the cookie part of an Oreo, but thinner and larger in diameter. They are a little hard to find.
You layer these wafers with whipped cream (preferably home made) in between until you create a "log". Cover the log with the remaining whip cream. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours. The whip cream soaks into the cookie wafer making it moist. It's delicious.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 16:04:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

The one "cake" I like is made from chocolate wafers and whipped cream. These chocolate wafers are sort of like the cookie part of an Oreo, but thinner and larger in diameter. They are a little hard to find.
You layer these wafers with whipped cream (preferably home made) in between until you create a "log". Cover the log with the remaining whip cream. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours. The whip cream soaks into the cookie wafer making it moist. It's delicious.

My mother used to make that. I'd completely forgotten about it. She called it Ice Box cake. And it was the only thing she ever made that was actually edible.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/09/24 22:58:28 (permalink)
To me, there isnt anything better in this world than a large slice of blueberry pie. Unfortunatly, I cant eat the berry pies anymore due to terrible heartburn (pumpkin too) so now i'm relegated to peach and apple. Not that thats a bad thing I suppose.
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/09/28 12:25:19 (permalink)
Pie- definitely pie- I love fruit pies, especially with streuselly toppings, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, peanut butter pie, toll house pie, cream pies. I could go the rest of my life without a piece of cake, but a pie? I love a good pie.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/12/23 14:16:41 (permalink)
Pie, always, except rhubarb.
MiamiGirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/12/23 16:03:44 (permalink)
MMMMMM...key lime pie from Joe's Stone Carb in Miami. The original--no green food coloring here. Also, a fresh banana or coconut cream pie.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/12/23 18:46:20 (permalink)
would have to depend on the occassion.. birthdays-- definitely CAKE.. but holidays-- pie.. especially pumpkin and mince meat.. and blue berry and apple and.........
guess i like pie more than i thought..hahah

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/12/23 21:00:35 (permalink)
My Italian Mother bakes the best pies, best cakes and best pastries.......unfortunately her daughter did not inherit the "cool hands" it takes to make fine pastry. (I once made a fresh strawberry tarte.....oh, the berries and the pastry cream were very good but the tarte crust was like cardboard and when one tried to push the fork through it, it went shooting off the plate and onto the floor!)
So when at Mom's I usually ask for her Blue Ribbon (State of PA) apple pie, or the lemon meringue, or the banana cream, or the "Harvest Pie" (pears, apples, cranberries).......oh lawdy, the list goes on and on.
For cakes, my favorite is her Easter Cake......but then there are the pastries and biscotti and hazelnut torte and nut rolls........
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/12/26 05:47:18 (permalink)
Can't decide...should I pick Carrot Cake or Pecan Pie?
The heck with it, I'll just make one of each, and a Sweet Tater Pie if I've got time.
Lavanda
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/04/30 15:49:14 (permalink)
Would ya'll PLEASE STOP that !!!!!

If I keep reading this will have to break down and bake!

I usually prefer cake, but only by a smidgen, and sometimes depends on who is making it!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/05/01 00:46:36 (permalink)
Pie. My mother's sour cream apple.
Browniebaker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/06/21 14:56:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by FoodLover2003

quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

I'm a pie guy. Pecan, Chess, Peach, and now I'm into Sweet Potato. Never met a pie I didn't like. I may take a drive out to Hico Tx. to the Koffee Kup diner to get a piece of pie on Bushie's recommendation.

Hi Maynerd! :) What is Chess pie?

It's about time someone answered you! Chess pie is from the South, but it's nothing short of heaven on earth. You wouldn't know it, to hear the list of simple ingredients. Poured into an unbaked pastry crust is a filling made by mixing togther plenty of butter, a few eggs, plenty of sugar, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract and/or vinegar, and the tablespoon or so of cornmeal that makes it authentically Southern.

Then there's chocolate chess, buttermilk chess, lemon chess, pecan chess, coconut chess, etc. -- you get the picture.

Try some. It's good!
aharste
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/06/21 15:31:13 (permalink)
I automatically want to say cake, but now that I think abou it, when we're on vacation in the Southern U.S. or up in Northern MN, I order pie whenever I can.

I have very fond memories of finishing my breakfast with a slice of still warm chocolate cream pie from Margie's in Asheville, and my first slice of chess pie at the Boone Tavern Hotel in Berea, KY

Although, homemade white almond cake with vanilla frosting, or red velvet cake w/cream cheese frosting . . . Mmmmmmm. It's the frosting I fall for every time.
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/06/21 15:34:20 (permalink)
CAKE!! Italian creme cake comes in first then the strawberry creme cakes you find in Chinatown.
Cupcakes are cool too, the only pies i care for are pumpkin, boston creme, and French Silk.
stephiegirl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/06/23 10:06:57 (permalink)
I love a good cherry or peach pie with crumbly topping, but I have to say that a good, moist chocolate cake with the fluffy white frosting that you use hot water to make also makes my mouth water. I also make a really great cake called Better Than Sex cake where you bake a chocolate cake, pokes holes in it when it's cool and pour a caramel ice cream topping and sweetened condensed milk mixture over the cake and let it soak in. Then you spread Cool Whip over the top for your "frosting" and sprinkle crushed Heath Bars over top. It is pure Heaven!!
Browniebaker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2005/06/23 13:24:25 (permalink)
For my birthday last month, my two kids wanted me to have a cake so they could help me blow out my candles. To them it's not a birthday without a cake.

So I dutifully concocted what I thought would be my dream cake: a three-layer sweet-potato spice cake with coconut-pecan frosting in between the layers, and frosted with cream-cheese frosting on the top and sides. It was delicious. I ate half the cake, and then it hit me: I had created all my favorite pies in the form of a cake. What I really wanted in this cake was sweet-potato-pie-with-pecan-pie-with-coconut-chess-pie-with japanese-fruit-pie.

Next year, I'll have a pie instead. The hard part will be deciding which pie.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1