Cake or pie? You choose...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
2004/05/04 14:40:01 (permalink)

Cake or pie? You choose...

Given the choice, which do you prefer when offered dessert?

I personally prefer pie. Cake seems like more of a 'special occasion' dessert; pie to me seems like something you could have on a daily basis, much more simple. Few things are better than a nice slice of warm blueberry pie and a steaming cup of coffee after dinner...

47 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 15:00:36 (permalink)
    Pie ... No cake ... No Pie .... No I meant cake .... No I really meant pie !!!!!!!

OK .... If I have to choose ... then I really like pie the best. Either Pecan or Chocolate !!!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 15:04:51 (permalink)
    what about Boston Creme Pie? Wouldnt you be having both?

I think I prefer pie or pie like things (tarts, etc) Much more variety and lighter, especially desirable in the summer with all sorts of great fruits.

I remember an old saying froma book I once read. this was written in the early part of the century and was mainly about the merits of eating outdoors:

"I'd rather eat pie outside than cake in the house"
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 15:17:51 (permalink)
    I choose pie over cake any day. I like coconut cream pie, peanut butter pie, lemoon meringue pie, and then I like cobblers. At Thanksgiving, I LOVE pumpkin pie. Yes , I'll choose pie any day over cake.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 15:37:24 (permalink)
    I'm a pie guy. Pecan, Chess, Peach, and now I'm into Sweet Potato. Never met a pie I didn't like. I may take a drive out to Hico Tx. to the Koffee Kup diner to get a piece of pie on Bushie's recommendation.
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 16:27:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

Given the choice, which do you prefer when offered dessert?

I prefer embarrassing myself and asking for a small helping of BOTH! Darnit, don't be so cruel as to make me choose!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 16:37:56 (permalink)
    So far at least I'm in the minority. I'm not very fond of pie crust, so I'd rather have cake any day!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 16:39:28 (permalink)
    So far at least I'm in the minority. I'm not very fond of pie crust, so I'd rather have cake any day!
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 16:40:35 (permalink)
    Like cake very much...LOVE pie.

A truly moist cake, though, makes it a close call.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 16:48:34 (permalink)
    Now are we talking real pies and cake here,---storebought pie is almost always better then mix cakes--but if its scratch vrs scratch---well thats a horse if a different color----so----Monday---Pie,Tuesday --cake,Weds--pie ala mode!,Thurs---cake alamode!, Fridayice crea on the porch under the stars---the cake and pie is gone!! Sat ---Cobbler!!!! Sunday----hmmmm looks like time to get more ckes and pie!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 17:42:07 (permalink)
    Pie, pie, PIE!! (Well, actually, since tiki mentioned COBBLER, my grandmother's blackberry cobbler was my original favorite dessert.)

You can keep every cake that's ever been made; I won't fight anyone over a cake.

-------------

Maynerd, because of our "discussion" last week, I got a wild hair and drove up to Hico last Saturday to pick up a couple of cases of Dublin Dr. Pepper and eat at Koffee Kup. Had the chicken-fried steak and their homemade onion rings (OMG - ) !!!

For "dessert", I bought a whole Fresh Strawberry Pie to go. I brought it home on Saturday night, and by midday Sunday, my wife, daughter and I had finished it off. And it was a BIG pie!

I also found that they have a website: http://www.koffeekupfamilyrestaurant.com/about.htm
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 17:44:19 (permalink)
    I usually favor pies. My all time favorite - French Apple which I can rarely find. I ordered a "French Apple Pie" and when I saw it I discovered it's what my mom always called Dutch Apple Pie (with the crumbs on top and no top crust). The French Apple I like has two crusts and icing on the top one. Have you seen a French Apple pie, lately? Maybe it's a thing of the past.

Favorite cake is Black Forest Cake -- yum yum
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 18:25:17 (permalink)
    If I have a choice I'll take the chocolate one.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 18:40:26 (permalink)
    Definitely Pie, either apple (NO CRUMB TOPS!) or peach or buttermilk.

served cold please..be it pie or cobbler, I don't like warm desserts.

This may shock some of you but our now defunct super Kmart store used to make the best apple pie I've ever tasted.

The only way I like cake is mixed together with ice cream.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 19:45:25 (permalink)
    I vote ----PIE 98 times out of 100. Not putting down cakes at all...I like them also. But if the choice be made, let it be pie.

Of the store-boughts (fresh) I would vote for the COSTCO Pies-Extra Large and quite good, especially Pecan, but the mixed 3-berry is great also.
    Of the store-boughts (U-bake)- Mrs. Smith's 46oz Pumpkin Custard and the M C Razzleberry.
    For me the choice is always difficult when I go to the Moonlite BBQ After chowing down on all the meat items It is hard to really concentrate on the desserts. Regular Pecan Pie, Choc.Fudge Pecan Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb, Coconut Cream, Lemon, Apple, and Peach (in season), then the Peach and Blackberry Cobbler. The soft-serve machine is within easy reach of the dessert tray! Someday i think I will skip the BBQ entirely and just pig-out on the pies.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 21:00:24 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Bushie
    [I also found that they have a website: http://www.koffeekupfamilyrestaurant.com/about.htm
    [/quote

What a cool looking little place. What pies they have. If ever I find myself in the middle of the lone star state...
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/04 22:42:35 (permalink)
    Pie and then for desert Cake. Rex in Hot expensive San Diego. Thank the Gods for airconditioning.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 00:24:11 (permalink)
    Make mine pie, especially warm blueberry a la mode. If you like pie I recommend the book "American Pie: Slices of life (and pie) from Americas Back Roads" by Pascale Le Droulec. The author drove the length and breadth of the USA in search of pie and in the process finds some pretty interesting people. Each chapter includes at least one pie recipe, haven't tried any yet but they sound wonderful.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 00:57:43 (permalink)
    Oh My, I pick pie. At the Spruce Street Sandwich Shop in Ogallala, NE, Homemade sour cream raisin can't be beat. MC'S Razzleberry is the best store bought.

BUT

I could be tempted by a home made red velvet cake!!

The Lady
    forurlungsonly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 01:30:48 (permalink)
    I'll have to disagree with tiki in that I almost never like store-bought pies but think cakes from mixes are just fine, and often better (moister) than many from-scratch cakes I've eaten. I'll chalk it up to the fact that my mom makes awesome pie crusts and the most amazing apple pies. When you grow up on that it's hard to do store-bought. I hate the gooey fillings in commercial pies. That said, I prefer cake, anyway. I love German chocolate with coconut pecan frosting, or a simply yellow cake with chocolate. As for pies, apple, I prefer crumb toppings, but two-crusts will do.

My mom's filling (THE best!) is simply apples (usually Empires) sliced rather thinly, cinnamon, a little sugar, and a few pats of butter on top. She stacks the apples really high, slicing them right into her bottom crust, and then layers a thin, flaky crust over the apples. Best apple pie, really!
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 04:59:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I vote ----PIE 98 times out of 100. Not putting down cakes at all...I like them also. But if the choice be made, let it be pie.

Of the store-boughts (fresh) I would vote for the COSTCO Pies-Extra Large and quite good, especially Pecan, but the mixed 3-berry is great also.
    Of the store-boughts (U-bake)- Mrs. Smith's 46oz Pumpkin Custard and the M C Razzleberry.
    For me the choice is always difficult when I go to the Moonlite BBQ After chowing down on all the meat items It is hard to really concentrate on the desserts. Regular Pecan Pie, Choc.Fudge Pecan Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb, Coconut Cream, Lemon, Apple, and Peach (in season), then the Peach and Blackberry Cobbler. The soft-serve machine is within easy reach of the dessert tray! Someday i think I will skip the BBQ entirely and just pig-out on the pies.

Thank you for reminding me of the Costco pies.. so big..so yummy~! I prefer the strawberry rhubarb from there.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 05:06:21 (permalink)
    Pie. Pumpkin. Every birthday going on 40 years. That's the ticket.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 07:25:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Thank you for reminding me of the Costco pies.. so big..so yummy~! I prefer the strawberry rhubarb from there.

ME TOO! ME TOO!---Janie and are both BIG fans of there strawberry-rhubarb---but there is,unfortunately, no Costco near us---oh well---guess i will just have to settle for those pies from the Amish bakery at the farm down the road!!!What a shame!!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 07:30:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by forurlungsonly

[purple]I'll have to disagree with tiki in that I almost never like store-bought pies but think cakes from mixes are just fine, and often better (moister) than many from-scratch cakes I've eaten.

AHHH---i see that you need to come on down and meet the chuch ladies--beleive me---NO mix cake can compare to the rich,moist and elegantly decorated multi layer masterpieces that come from the kitchens of southern black church ladies!!!!!!and those rum soaked mountains of sweet from my Italian aunts werent so shabby either!!!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/05 09:50:46 (permalink)
    I agree with the poster about cake mixed with ice cream. I always get dissappointed in ice cream cakes, which to me should be half ice cream, half cake. Not many places do that anymore. Instead they are all ice cream, which is okay, but does not have that combination of textures.

Frozen cake is excellent too, and I freely admit my weakness for the Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes. No need to defrost for me!

Browniebaker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 13:08:01 (permalink)
    I'm a birthday-pie type of person, myself. I just can't think of a cake that beats a pie. The closest cake would be Hummingbird cake (chopped bananas, chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and a little cinnamon in the batter, with cream-cheese frosting, for the information of you non-Southerners), but that can't hold a candle -- a birthday candle! -- to any of my five favorites: chess pie, Japanese fruit pie, buttermilk pie, sweet-potato pie, and pumpkin pie.

Today's my 40th birthday, and yesterday I baked myself a cheesecake. Cheesecake arguably originated as a pie -- note the crust. Can't wait to have a slice tonight!
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 13:31:00 (permalink)
    My birthday pie today is going to be Shoo-Fly
    minilops
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 13:36:20 (permalink)
    Pie, pie, PIE!! (Well, actually, since tiki mentioned COBBLER, my grandmother's blackberry cobbler was my original favorite dessert.)

Bushie,
    I was wondering if you might share your grandmother's blackberry cobbler recipe? Our blackberry bushes are loaded with berries and I need a good cobbler recipe. Oh, pie and cobbler over cake any day!

Thanks,
    Allison
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 14:11:21 (permalink)
    Yes, I have to agree-Cobbler is the best. We have a local cafeteria that offers about 3 different types of cobbler every day. Nothing is as good as warm cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Is cobbler a Southern dish. Do you guys up north have cobbler served in your restaurants
    quote:
    Originally posted by minilops

Bushie,
    I was wondering if you might share your grandmother's blackberry cobbler recipe? Our blackberry bushes are loaded with berries and I need a good cobbler recipe. Oh, pie and cobbler over cake any day!

Thanks,
    Allison
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Cake or pie? You choose... 2004/05/27 15:03:10 (permalink)
    PIE...Homemade apple made with my own gravenstien apples hot with a slice of old Vermont Cheddar...Strawberry Rhubarb...Fresh Blueberry and a pie that I have just tried out here on the North California coast it is called olallie berry pie, baked at a great roadfood place called Duartes in Pescadero Ca. If only every day could be a PIE day what a wonderful world it would be.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1