The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Calabacitas Burritos

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Calabacitas Burritos Mon, 07/31/06 11:55 PM (permalink)
I have begun my annual summer vacation in Santa Fe (NM) and went to a new Roadfood type place that has been written up in some newspapers: El Parasol. There are two locations, one on Cerrillos Rd. in Santa Fe and one in Espanola Valley (the local comment is: "God is everywhere, but his address is in Espanola")
Small take-out place(plus one bench to eat), great food.

The special today was calabacitas burritos with green chile: a fabulous vegetarian slobbering thing with squash, corn, green chile and cheese. Yummmm.

I was wondering if this was a personal creation of the place, or if anyone on RF has tasted it before?

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
    RE: Calabacitas Burritos Tue, 08/1/06 1:28 AM (permalink)
    Nah, calabacitas burritos are a standard all over central New Mexico.

Easy enough to do on your own this time of year, too: just about every time I fire up the grill in July and August, I put one of the Dutch ovens on it filled with fresh corn, squash, onions, tomatoes and green chile, plus a little salt and seasonings. Braise until sludgy. Consume happily.

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
      RE: Calabacitas Burritos Tue, 08/1/06 6:52 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by NYNM

I have begun my annual summer vacation in Santa Fe (NM) and went to a new Roadfood type place that has been written up in some newspapers: El Parasol. There are two locations, one on Cerrillos Rd. in Santa Fe and one in Espanola Valley (the local comment is: "God is everywhere, but his address is in Espanola")
      Small take-out place(plus one bench to eat), great food.

The special today was calabacitas burritos with green chile: a fabulous vegetarian slobbering thing with squash, corn, green chile and cheese. Yummmm.

I was wondering if this was a personal creation of the place, or if anyone on RF has tasted it before?

Sounds awfully good. What kind of squash is meant by calabacitas - tatuma? What kind of cheese and chile?

I used to love a tatuma, jitomate, onion and serrano pepper dish from Diana Kennedy's cookbook but haven't made it in several years. Always better when reheated but I never thought of using cheese on it or making burritos with it.

NYNM

RE: Calabacitas Burritos Tue, 08/1/06 8:13 PM (permalink)
        This morning we went to the Santa Fe Farmer's Market, which is quite the place" for fresh foods. Many of the farmers are old Hispanic families who have lived in the area for like 400 years. They had a special kind of squash on sale that was green (different shades) and round, sort of like a small melon. The sign said "French Squash". They usually use this for calabacitas, but of course you can use any knid of summer squashm green yellow, zucchini, etc. I'm nt sure the kind of cheese, it was a yellowy-orange color.

If anyone gets to Santa Fe in the summer, go to the Farmer's Market: great stuff, chiles, cider from Spanish families, chile goat cheese, goat's milk chocolate fudge garlic oil, lavender herbs, raspberry-red chile-ginger jam, homemode honey soaps and lotions, by "Anglos" Indian pies (apricot, apple), cookies and horno bread brough by Navajos, also lamb, baked items, fresh coffee....mmmmmm

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
          RE: Calabacitas Burritos Tue, 08/1/06 10:05 PM (permalink)
          Damn you're making me hungry. Years ago there used to be in the markets here that catered to Hispanics a squash labeled tatuma. It varied in shape from slender like zucchini to round like a melon, was usually a paler green than zucchini and sometimes even striped. Nowadays when I see that it's just labeled 'Mexican zucchini.' I guess that's what they're using. A little more flavor than zucchini, I think.

NYNM

RE: Calabacitas Burritos Wed, 08/2/06 3:37 PM (permalink)
            Yeah, that's probably the squash. I bought three, picked different shades for "artistic reasons": very pale greeen, medium green with speckles and darker green (but lighther than zucchini). Almost too pretty to eat!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com