Calabash

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2005/08/05 10:28:24 (permalink)

Calabash

I remember eating "calabash" seafood along Myrtle Beach area. I've not seenit listed as such anywhere else, but to my mind "calabash" was just a fried seafood. But I'm not for sure. Would someone set the record straight as to what calabash seafood means.

16 Replies Related Threads

the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/05 10:43:18 (permalink)
    Had it a few times in the Carolinas. As I understand it, it means local seafood, lightly crumbed or floured, (no heavy beer batter), and fried quickly. Has some spice, but not overpowering. The flavor of the fish seems to come through

Most often, I've had shrimp, and yep, it's pretty good.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/05 10:43:20 (permalink)
    You are right. Calabash is an area just across the North Carolina border from South Carolina. Calabash is a little village. For some reason they became popular with fried seafood.

I'm not a real big fan. I would much rather have boiled shrimp and steamed oysters. The fried flounder is the only thing that is a big hit with me.

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/05 13:38:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

You are right. Calabash is an area just across the North Carolina border from South Carolina. Calabash is a little village. For some reason they became popular with fried seafood.

The little village of Calabash is home to 23 outstanding seafood restaurants, and little else. People drive in from Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, and other locations to fill up most of these establishments just about every night during the Summer (and other season to a lesser extent). Their way of frying seafood became so well known and popular across the Carolinas that "Calabash Style Shrimp" is listed on menus at seafood restaurants throughout North and South Carolina. I love that place, especially the "Dockside" restaurant. Southern fried seafood and hushpuppies. YUM! And you can watch the fishing fleet come in while you eat.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/05 15:34:56 (permalink)
    Some local seafood- mostly not. Almost every place serving the same spread, fried. It's funny when you go to these tourist traps the vultures fight over the non-local crablegs. Some of these places have vans with cool fibergass lobsters and stuff on their roofs thogh.lol. I've spent a good part of the last 15 years in Pawleys Island SC and steer clear of the Calabash places even in Calabash. Overated.
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/05 15:46:02 (permalink)
    Oyster Po-Boy at Seafood Hut in Calabash. Happy mouth.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/06 15:17:53 (permalink)
    Hillbilly got it right and the rest got it wrong.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/08 05:00:18 (permalink)
    I agree on the Seafood Hut. It's one of the smaller restaurants, still serving it's seafood the true Calabash way. Many tourists pass on by for the bigger places on the water. Keep on going, I say, it makes it easier for me to get into the Seafood Hut!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/08 09:25:24 (permalink)
    I agree. The Dockside is my favorite also. We have been going to Calabash every year that we go to the beach-about 30 years or so.
    That is always part of our vacation-going to Calabash to eat. The places in Myrtle Beach that say "Calabash Style" as just not quite as good as eating in the Calabash village
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

The little village of Calabash is home to 23 outstanding seafood restaurants, and little else. People drive in from Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, and other locations to fill up most of these establishments just about every night during the Summer (and other season to a lesser extent). Their way of frying seafood became so well known and popular across the Carolinas that "Calabash Style Shrimp" is listed on menus at seafood restaurants throughout North and South Carolina. I love that place, especially the "Dockside" restaurant. Southern fried seafood and hushpuppies. YUM! And you can watch the fishing fleet come in while you eat.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/08 11:16:07 (permalink)
    Incidentlly, "Calabash style" at locations outside of Calabash are seldom anything close to being as good as the fresh catch coming directly into the kitchens at the Calabash locations.

And Jeepguy's comment, "some local seafood, mostly not", might apply to "Calabash style" places, but the places I have eaten in Calabash sure seem fresh to me. Watching the boats unload gives me a high level of confidence that it is fresh, especially the shrimp-oyster-flounder combo that I usually order. Crab legs don't lend themselves to Calabash (fried) style cooking, so they are probably not local but just on hand for those who don't appreciate fine southern fried seafood.
    creek rat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Calabash 2005/08/08 22:15:50 (permalink)
    Hillbilly is right again and knows good food! You MUST go to the little village of Calabash to sample real Calabash type food. Stay away from the "Calabash style" restaurants in the Myrtle Beach area. They are for the most part horrible.If you like scallops you must try Ellas they are awesome. Also even if you don't care that much for hush puppies just try Ellas thy will make you a believer. All the restaurants in the village are good to excellent.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Calabash 2008/05/13 08:37:47 (permalink)
    Roadfood.com to the rescue!

I was talking on the phone with my buddy who moved to Raleigh, and he mentioned something called "calabash". I said, "Yeah, that's some kind of gourd." He said it's some kind of fried fish.

I googled calabash, and didn't notice anything that looked like fish (lots of gourds, though). I tried it here, and, sure enough, there was a calabash thread.

Here is a picture of Calabash seafood from the Calabash Seafood Hut:

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Calabash 2008/05/13 11:28:52 (permalink)
    Then again there was always Mrs. Calabash, wherever she was. Chow Jim
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Calabash 2008/05/13 11:49:36 (permalink)
    ...only Jimmy D. knew.
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Calabash 2008/12/02 08:32:26 (permalink)
    uh....I believe you are confused about the Roadfood.com forum you posted on...Calabash is a preparation style for seafood...found on the eastern shore of NC.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Calabash 2009/02/10 09:04:29 (permalink)
    No, they are not confused. Thy story goes that Jimmy D ate in Calabash NC on vacation and from then on he would end his shows by saying. Goodnight, Mrs Calabash, whereever you are
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Calabash 2009/02/23 10:45:15 (permalink)
    I have posted about our recent delightful lunch at Ellas in Calabash on the "Fried oyster" forum. But I forgot to mention that Gail had the fried scallops and loved them. Believe me, when Gail, who is a scallop maven, says they were good they had to be outstanding. 

BTW: Dockside was closed at lunchtime and the Seafood Hut looked more crowded than Ellas. 

Calabash is not that easy to find - especially when you are looking for it on a South Carolina map. A very small highway sign announces the turnoff onto hwy 179 - a sign we might have missed if we had not lucked out and stopped at a gas station a few miles back toward Myrtle Beach (a total horror of a one-time nice little seaside vacation spot if I ever did see one) and asked directions. Besides the very explicit directions the two employees of the gas station recommended to us a pizza joint and said that while they were aware of Calabash's fame , they never ate seafood so could not name  single restaurant in that town. 

Cheers, John 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1