Caliche's Frozen Custard

Author
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
2004/06/16 01:56:12 (permalink)

Caliche's Frozen Custard

Here in Fresno we just acquired one of these places which I believe is based in New Mexico. I'm not a custard afficianado but it sure tasted good to me. The best part was the offering of green chilis as an ice cream topping or mix in! I had vanilla custard with key lime pie filling and green chilies... ok, it sounds wierd....but YUM! And the gal at the counter got all excited because I was the first person to try it. They've got a healthy number of mix ins and/or toppings (60), which they will put in or on your vanilla or chocolate custard. As for the custard itself.. as I said, I'm not an afficianado but it was very creamy and rich.
They also serve hot dogs in 21 basic configurations which you can fiddle with to your liking.. the dogs themselves were 100 percent angus beef and mighty tasty on their own. You have a choice of whole wheat or sesame hot dog bun to put them in. My hubby had a "frito dog" (think Frito Pie on a hot dog) and it was darn good. The place is decorated in bright pink and blue neon 50's kitsch.
Has anyone here eaten at the ones in or around New Mexico?

2 Replies Related Threads

glenncox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Caliche's Frozen Custard 2004/07/08 10:23:23 (permalink)
    My wife and I used to go to Cruces just for the Gizmo. Found that making your own caliche was more fun. Now, I'm a big fan of the caliche with reeses pbc and hot fudge. They just opened one up in Alamogordo, NM (where we live). The original name was Scoopy's, but had to change in order for them to franchise. Name changed, but food still great. Congrats on getting one in California. I hope they open more so people can enjoy the same great food and service they provide here.
    zziggy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Caliche's Frozen Custard 2006/05/29 15:48:59 (permalink)
    We ate at a place with "caliche" (delicious frozen custard) in Roswell a couple of months ago. Sorry but can't remember the name. You can look it up in their online phone book. Good luck.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1