Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

California BBQ

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 76
mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 1:40 AM (permalink)
Greasy ribs and the sides were like cafeteria food.

It won't get another try from me.

In Culver City is a place that's name escapes me. It's where Washington Bl and Washington Place cross the second time by Centinella. The seating is upstairs on top of the place and the Santa Maria type grill is outdoors.

For a small local chain, Woodranch is great! They have smashed sweet potatoes that I could eat for dessert. You can cut their tri-tip with a spoon.

The lemondrops just aren't big enough.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
    RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 9:50 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by Merwinkle

Thanks for all your suggestions. My husband and I are marking all these places on our maps.

MP ribs are pretty decent compared to something like Armadillo Willy's -- I cannot abide jalapeno peppers in BBQ sauce. But yes, one's standards adapt to what is available.

Everyone is probably right that I should save my barbecue fix for when we visit home and be happy with California specialties, but it gets hard sometimes. The worst is the number of friends who've dragged me to "soul food" places, all of which turned out to be nothing more than yuppie bistros.

Well I guarantee you neither Flint's nor Brother In law's are "yuppie bistros". Years ago I worked in Oakland at the Naval Supply Center and had an African American secretary who used to go to Flints often for ribs at lunch time. She would bring them back to the office and we'd share them, but she wouldn't let me go with her because she deemed it unsafe. I thought then and still think she was exagerating but ?? Brother In Laws is a small, plain place reminiscent to me of places in New Orleans or elsewhere in older southern cities. Although it's in a mixed neighborhood that even includes a share of yuppies, the staff and many of the customers are African Americans from the nearby Fillmore neighborhood which has a good bit of public housing.

Not to be too "blunt" about it, but to escape yuppiedom you may have to leave Palo Alto and, perhaps, even San Mateo County which makes a good case as the world capital of yuppiedom (the only competition may be to the north in Marin). But be assured that authenticity (if not pulled pork) does existed in the poorer hoods or the urban cores of Oakland, SF and possibly (I have no experience) San Jose.

I used to eat at all those Oakland places. Acceptable, but not jaw dropping. Before Crack took over West Oakland, I never felt unsafe up or down San Pablo, Peralta, or other streets. Our friends lived in a old Victorian looking out at the Nabisco plant and 880. Maybe your uniform would've thrown em for a loop, but if you knew your Cue, they loved you in Flint's. I know what Merwinkle's talking about though, BT. Somehow as a concept, southern "Soul Food" and BBQ get combined into 1 synthetic cafe which doesn't execute either one very well.
    What's mostly missing in Ca. Q is fragrant wood, something to kick in the flavor.
    At the very Northern tip of Ca. in Yreka, there's a BBQ shack on the west side frontage road of I-5 north of the Hwy3(south)exit. I am never driving by at a time when they are open , but maybe we'll take one for the team, drive over and check it out.
    Mar52: what business does your brother own in Medford?

mar52

RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 10:06 AM (permalink)
      My cousin is a kids dentist. He's been there for years.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 10:09 AM (permalink)
        Has anyone had Cecil's BBQ in LA?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
          RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 10:21 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by mar52

My cousin is a kids dentist. He's been there for years.

cool. I just knew someone was related. Doctoring seems to be the main industry here.
          Bill

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
            RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 12:20 PM (permalink)
            BT, what's the name of that Brazilian "BBQ" place that's on Market near Franklin? Merwinkle might enjoy that. I can't remember the name.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 3:36 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by michaelgemmell

BT, what's the name of that Brazilian "BBQ" place that's on Market near Franklin? Merwinkle might enjoy that. I can't remember the name.

Don't know but I'll look next time I go by. There used to be a Brazilian nightclub on the corner (Market and Gough, actually) but it got burned out and now it's Chinese or Japanese or something. And down a block there was a pretty good regular Brazilian place serving good freijoada but not BBQ. Also, I noticed there's now a Churrascaria next to Bistro Clovis. Is that the place you mean?

BT

RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 3:38 PM (permalink)
                Just noticed Memphis Minnie's ad in the yellow pages: "A Swine Place to Dine". How can you not love that?

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                  RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 5:04 PM (permalink)
                  This is real good downhome barbeque, in the East Bay. Jerry Brown goes here for BBQ.

http://eandjbbq.com/index_everettandjones_main.html

Also excellent BBQ brisket in Santa Maria very very good.

BT

RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 6:22 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by santacruz

This is real good downhome barbeque, in the East Bay. Jerry Brown goes here for BBQ.

http://eandjbbq.com/index_everettandjones_main.html

Also excellent BBQ brisket in Santa Maria very very good.

Are we accepting CA born and bred Jerry as a BBQ expert?

mar52

RE: California BBQ Fri, 05/13/05 8:24 PM (permalink)
                      Been to Mr. Cecil's a few times. Limited menu which I think is expensive for what you get.

Not spectacular.

mwr

• Total Posts: 8
                        RE: California BBQ Tue, 05/17/05 12:56 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Merwinkle

I'm from Georgia, spent time in North Carolina and Texas, and I miss barbecue out here in California! Anybody know of any good barbecue out here? I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I'll drive 100 miles for a good restaurant. The ribs at MacArthur Park in Palo Alto are pretty decent, but most of the other local "barbecue" is awful, and I have yet to find any pork that is even edible.

You're in for a treat. Several people have mentioned Memphis Minnie's in SF (576 Haight, between Steiner and Fillmore, 415-864-7675) but for some reason or other they haven't been there. Well, they and you have missed by far the best barbecue I've had in the Bay Area, and as good as any I've had in Kansas City (I grew up in Missouri) or Texas (less experience). It's the real thing. The ribs and brisket may be the best I've ever had, and the pulled pork is great also. The neighborhood is funky but fine, and "everyone" goes to Memphis Minnie's.

carey2k

• Total Posts: 2
                          RE: California BBQ Wed, 10/12/05 5:07 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by mar52

Been to Mr. Cecil's a few times. Limited menu which I think is expensive for what you get.

Not spectacular.
                          I thought the sauces are Cecil's were just okay, the beef ribs were very good in my opinion and their mango, pineapple and orange ice desserts are a great finish a bbq meal.

mwr

• Total Posts: 8
                            RE: California BBQ Wed, 10/12/05 5:30 PM (permalink)
                            There's a new (moved) place in Mountain View called Uncle Frank's. It's also the real thing. I prefer MM's, but some people prefer Uncle Frank's.

Uncle Frank's
                            2135 Old Middlefield Way
                            Mountain View
                            650-964-4476

I've been once to Cliff's Bar-B-Q & Seafood in SF on Bayshore across 101 from Candlestick Park. I put this blurb on chowhound.com...They have four kinds of pork ribs, and beef ribs. We had the baby backs and the “Alabama” ribs which he said were “St. Louis” style. To me they were regular “spare ribs”. Both kind of ribs very good, right up there with the best I’ve ever had. The brisket was sliced very thin and I thought a bit tough and chewy and without a lot of flavor. Maybe it was just because it was sliced so thin, don’t know. The chicken was very good, but I usually don’t order chicken at real barbecue places, preferring to eat thing that require the special care of long slow smoke-cooking. The sauce, available in four levels of hotness, was a thin runny type, and not my preferred style. The beans were the best non-sweet beans I’ve had (I prefer some sweetness). The slaw was great, a very light mayo type of dressing with a lot of flavor.

Cliff's Bar-B-Q & Seafood
                            2177 Bayshore Blvd
                            Cross Street: Blanken Avenue
                            San Francisco, CA 94134-2455
                            415-330-0736

Antihound

• Total Posts: 36
                              RE: California BBQ Sun, 10/16/05 2:40 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

ED
                              Is that the one on Sepulveda that claims a link to "Texas BBQ"? or the one further up Sepulveda near the 118 that claims to be "Missouri Style"? We used to get to them both now and then.

The Missouri Style is called the Bear Pitt. Huge portions at good prices.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Hogly Wogly and their prices are higher than most BBQ places.

As for that stupid comment by somebody else, about Phillips being in the worst part of LA and needing to be "brave" to go down there. Just because most of the people in the area are people of color doesn't mean that the area is not safe. I've been to Phillips (Crenshaw and Leimrick Park locations) many time and I have had no problems at all.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
                                RE: California BBQ Tue, 10/18/05 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Antihound

quote:
                                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

ED
                                Is that the one on Sepulveda that claims a link to "Texas BBQ"? or the one further up Sepulveda near the 118 that claims to be "Missouri Style"? We used to get to them both now and then.

The Missouri Style is called the Bear Pitt. Huge portions at good prices.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Hogly Wogly and their prices are higher than most BBQ places.

As for that stupid comment by somebody else, about Phillips being in the worst part of LA and needing to be "brave" to go down there. Just because most of the people in the area are people of color doesn't mean that the area is not safe. I've been to Phillips (Crenshaw and Leimrick Park locations) many time and I have had no problems at all.

Not a stupid comment, Antihound. Having grown up in that area of Los Angeles (we used to walk to Leimert (not "Leimrick") Park when I was very young---my family used to live on what is now known as Martin Luther king Blvd.---I think I'm a pretty good judge of what are considered safer and less-safe areas in L.A. It doesn't necessarily imply that the majority of people are bad or that it's only people of color. But if you at all follow the news, you'll see that those are not exactly safe areas. If you can go down there and feel safe----great! Maybe you haven't seen all the things I have, since I worked near that area for years. I watched one of the places I worked for in flames during the riots------from my rear view mirror as I drove up La Brea Ave. at 3AM after work.
                                Areas change though, and that could be one of them. One of my favorite places is M&M Soul Food. Years ago the area was considered very unsafe, but these days it's pretty nice. I go there often. The community took hold and got the area straightened out and these days it's a pleasure to go there. If Phillips is as you say, in a safe area these days-----I'll be more than happy to meet you for some ribs there one lunchtime!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                  RE: California BBQ Wed, 10/19/05 8:37 AM (permalink)

For the person claiming L.A. is lacking good BBQ, check out BBQ King on Sunset.

Ribs USA in Burbank on olive has kick-ass beef ribs, but not much else.

There is also a new place that just opened in the Echo Park area. Our first meal was really good, but we'll have to see if it is consistent or not.

PS....M&Ms is heaven on earth!!!!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: California BBQ Fri, 10/28/05 3:51 AM (permalink)
                                    Merwinkle, if you haven't already you've got to try some California BBQ. Tri-tip done over an oak coal fire. Now there is some fine Calif. BBQ.

MikeS.

Mattken85

• Total Posts: 16
                                      RE: California BBQ Sun, 11/27/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                      I suggest making your own bbq it's not that difficult. Use a basic charcoal smoker and find yourself a good sauce (or make one) You will enjoy making your own food more and you can try different things to alter the taste to suit you. Plus its sure as hell beats driving 100 miles for good bbq

JohnnyP

• Total Posts: 13
                                        RE: California BBQ Sun, 07/9/06 3:49 AM (permalink)
                                        I love the beef ribs at Lucille's, but they seem to slip in two or three skimpy ribs when I order the full rack. You also have to watch that they don't pawn off black, dried out old ribs on you.

The ribs are served separated, and stacked like kindling. I doubt that they are from the same rack, though. When I order a rack, I want to see the whole rack. I understand that some people need help separating the ribs, but the way they serve them, it gives them the chance to mix in a few bad ones, and put the good ones on top.

I sent back a whole rack last year. When the server brought them, I could see that they were way overdone. Bone showing everywhere, etc. I was just staring at the food, thinking "what a gyp", so before the server could get away, I blurted out "could you get me a fresh rack, that's not so WAY overcooked?"

They whisked away my platter, and in a few minutes, a fresh one appeared, with seven juicy, medium rare, double cut ribs. My wife and our two guests (me too) oohed and ahhed. They were so big, I shared them with the table. Our guests said 'That's what I'm getting next time!"

EliseT

RE: California BBQ Thu, 09/28/06 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by GeorgeVW

Chris'n'Pitts closed almost two years ago. Pulled Pork in L.A. is virtually non-existent (Carolina style barbecue doesn't really exist here, as far as I can tell). There is one place in Venice (Baby Blue's) that a friend who's a food writer has recommended to me, but his description of the pulled pork sandwich sounded more like lightly smoked, then steamed pork than a shoulder that's been sitting in a pit for 18 hours. As for Piedmont style finishing sauces and slaw? Forget it. I'm forced to fire up my own pit a few times a year, have some friends over and do a half dozen shoulders or so if I want the real thing.

We were really excited to try PIG on LaBrea, but we were really disappointed with their pulled pork, even thought they are a Tenn place. You're right, it's best to make at home.

almost40

• Total Posts: 9
                                            RE: California BBQ Sat, 10/7/06 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                            If you are in the San Jose area, an excellent place for BBQ is Sam's BBQ on S. Bascom Ave in Campbell. Yuuuuummmmmm!! I always get their bbq pork sandwiches, and they have award winning sauce they sell by the bottle also!!!

TheHotPepper.com

• Total Posts: 322
                                              RE: California BBQ Sat, 10/7/06 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                              http://www.cbbqa.com/ <-- drop a note to these guys and ask them.

spicoli

• Total Posts: 68
                                                RE: California BBQ Tue, 10/10/06 6:48 PM (permalink)
                                                Cliff's in SF just closed unfortunately. I always thought it was the best BBQ in town, but no more, alas...

Quincy's in Milpitas isn't bad at all.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                                  RE: California BBQ Thu, 05/24/07 6:08 AM (permalink)
                                                  Memphis Minnie's in San Francisco. My daughter (from Dallas) and my son (from Austin) rave about it. And believe me, there are no more fussier eaters than these two.

Stacy

• Total Posts: 4
                                                    RE: California BBQ Thu, 05/24/07 6:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    IF you have to stay 100 miles from Palo Alto, Flints is probably the best Roadfood type of experience, having been there for generations.

BT

• Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                      RE: California BBQ Thu, 05/24/07 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by twinwillow

Memphis Minnie's in San Francisco. My daughter (from Dallas) and my son (from Austin) rave about it. And believe me, there are no more fussier eaters than these two.

It is good. I lived for 4 years in North Carolina and 10 years in north Florida and I've been a BBQ-lover all that time and I agree: it's good.

BUT, Q lovers from the south will probably be shocked by the prices and I am saddened by the fact that it's almost the beginning and end of SF BBQ. There are other places (Big Nate's, Brother-In-Law's), but especially if you love pulled pork the way I do, they are kind of a disappointment (BBQ around here for most people tends to mean ribs and chicken and sausage and brisket--not pulled pork). Minnie's has good pulled pork.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
                                                        • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                        RE: California BBQ Thu, 05/24/07 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'll second BT on the pulled pork. I had it at Memphis Minnie's on one of my visits and thought it was excellent. And it's located in a neat area too!

A Creole Cook

• Total Posts: 34
                                                          • Location: Los Angeles, CA
                                                          RE: California BBQ Mon, 05/28/07 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          Phillips is a good place for Ribs, chicken and links. They are located in Leimert Park and on Centinella just east of LaCienega, however I have found that Mr. Woodys on Slauson is better than Phillips.

In Oakland/Bay Area there is Evertt and Jones BBQ on University & San Pablo in Berkeley.

Good eating!

EliseT

RE: California BBQ Tue, 05/29/07 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                                            I don;t remember if I mentioned this before, since it's been aehile...Hogley Wogleys has good brisket, but their sides are bo-ring.

As for Phillip's, I just wrote up the Crenshaw location...

http://kikimaraschino.blogspot.com/2007/05/attention-customers-do-you-know-what.html

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 76

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com