California BBQ

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: California BBQ 2007/05/30 00:53:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sauceman

I've never been anywhere near the place, but I've heard some barbecue folks I know praise Memphis Minnie's BBQ Joint, 576 Haight Street, in San Francisco. The owners attend most all of the Southern Foodways Alliance activities and are very knowledgeable about the art and science of barbecue.

Fred Sauceman

Memphis Minnie's is owned by the brother-in-law of one of my best friends whom I've known since elementary school. He did his research by travelin' & tastin'. (I mentioned a central Texas trip he took on another thread.)

I've not eaten there, either, but I've been given bottles of his sauces, and they are delicious.
A Creole Cook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: California BBQ 2007/05/30 17:09:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I don;t remember if I mentioned this before, since it's been aehile...Hogley Wogleys has good brisket, but their sides are bo-ring.

As for Phillip's, I just wrote up the Crenshaw location...

http://kikimaraschino.blogspot.com/2007/05/attention-customers-do-you-know-what.html

Yes, Phillips moved in this location I think last year.

Actually, it had been the home of LEO'S BBQ for since the 1960's. I heard the folks had problems with illness, and on top of that Phillips stole some of their thunder/business in the past years, but back in the day the place to go for ribs was LEO'S. They had good sides too!

If you get an opportunity, give Woody's a visit. It is not in the best location, but folks do not bother you. All are there for the same thing, good BBQ! LOL They are located on Slauson just east of Crenshaw, and have been there for decades. In fact, It is rumored that Woody helped Phillips get started in LA, and they are actually related.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: California BBQ 2007/05/31 04:22:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie
Memphis Minnie's is owned by the brother-in-law of one of my best friends whom I've known since elementary school. He did his research by travelin' & tastin'.

Can you teach him about Southern prices as well as southern Q because Minnie is all California in that department?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
RE: California BBQ 2007/05/31 09:33:03 (permalink)
Rachel Ray did one of her very fast moving "infomercials" on Tasteing BBQ recently on Food Network. She bounced from Coast to Coast to a gazillion places in the 30 minute show. I did notice that there were several SoCal places on her agenda. I would have to view the tape two or three times to make notes on the names and locations as most of them were unfamiliar to me.

Also, The 30 minute show of "Dives, Dumps, and Diners" (not correct, but you know the series...) visited BBQ places last week. Again there were some in CA..and not all targeted at the Santa maria Roasted Tri-Tip. He talked about the Giant Beef Ribs that we learned to appreciate in Austin last winter. He also did a great segment on Louis Muellers in that show.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
RE: California BBQ 2007/05/31 09:55:57 (permalink)
I can't stand that guy on Diners and Dives, can't stand him to the extent I have to turn the set off. It looked like they wanted to throw him in the Fire at Louie Mueller's.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: California BBQ 2007/06/03 11:15:28 (permalink)
Yes, Creole Cook, I plan to hit every bbq in la before this year is over. Keep any advice coming. Soul Food too. I grew up in Wilmington and spent plenty of time in Inglewood, Long Beach, and around Crenshaw. I'll go anywhere for a good meal. And I walk with respect.

You are not related to the Creole Chef restaurant are you? If you are, I have one heck of a coincidence for you.

EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: California BBQ 2007/06/03 11:25:13 (permalink)
I also noticed I had already written a short blurb on the cecil's in the valley:

"Yesterday I was driving home along Ventura Blvd looking for a place to stop for lunch. I noticed Mr Cecil's California Ribs, a satellite of its main location on Pico. It was pretty empty for lunch rush, with about 3 tables full, one server and one cook. The music was great - Bowie and the Violent Femmes. I asked the server about it and she said it was her I-Pod. Great stuff. The interior was a combination of that hip industrial look from the late 80s, with exposed ductwork and a silver swirly overhang above the small open kitchen, mixed with a kind of "country" charm. I perversely liked that the walls were decorated with large photographs of adorable pigs and cows, Like, "We are so cute and happy. Admire the wonder of our being while gnawing on our bones."

The server was really friendly and helped me make my selections. I liked that she encouraged me to get the giant 20-dollar sampler platter if that was what I wanted, in spite of it clearly being way too much food. No judgement here. I opted instead for the catfish bites, with a side of baby back ribs and cornbread. I like that you can order a side of almost anything on the menu, including ribs.

The catfish bites were disappointingly tiny, more like catfish nibbles. In that arena, Stevie's plump nuggets totally kick their ass. But they were delicious, non-greasy, and came with an unusual tartar sauce. It didn't seem to have visible pickle or relish, but was full of some kind of chopped green herb. It was too mild to be recognizable - Parsley? I asked the server what was in the tartar sauce. She asked the cook. She returned, offering, "Bacos, jalapenos, cilantro and anchovies.' What? What what what? I asked, "Bacos? Like bacon bits?" She said, "I guess." We both looked over to the cook, who was watching our exchange and shrugged good-naturedly at me. It made me think how genius it would be if they just got tired of everyone asking for ingredients, and just started rattling off strange, random items. "Uh, yeah, it has ketchup, sesame oil, peanut butter and Campbell's cream of celery soup." If those were really the ingredients, they are masters at balancing flavors.

The ribs were just what you would expect...if I had been craving ribs I would be satisfied. But they were not a spectacular life-changing experience, like, "I must return here for ribs fortnightly for the rest of my life." The cornbread confused me. Usually you have a kind of dry, crumbly, cast-iron cornbread or a cake-like sweet cornbread. Cecil's has the texture of a cake, but no sweetness at all. It was kind of disconcerting.

I would definitely go back if it were in my neighborhood, or if I were driving past again. But it does not warrant a special trip"

..and I dont like that diners, dives guy either!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
RE: California BBQ 2007/06/03 11:25:38 (permalink)

I agree he is two brick off a full load...but He does hit some places I have either been and enjoyed, or would like to visit shortly. Of all the BBQ reviews I have seen or read, his was the first to point out (more than once) the quality of the BEEF RIBS.
I guess even a multi-colored hair dye guy can have a redeeming quality !
craven.sean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: California BBQ 2007/06/06 18:36:30 (permalink)
Howdy, all. This is my first post, so let me know how I'm screwing things up...

Anyway. Barbecue in the SF Bay area (which seems to be the subject, as opposed to California BBQ.) My instinct is to warn you away from Everett & Jones. I'm of the opinion that while barbecue sauce is a wonderful thing, properly made barbecue is good enough all by itself that you start wondering if you really need the sauce. My last meal at E&J was a platter of sauce with some meat submerged in it. That meat was hiding. It was ashamed, and rightfully so.

My favorite place used to be in Concorde and has since moved to Lafayette. It's called Bo's. I have to warn you, they serve high-end sourdough bread rather than white sponge, and the beverage case is loaded with all kinds of lethal and delicious Belgian ales. Don't mistake class for a lack of soul. The sauce comes on the side, and is superfluous -- but tasty. It's all about the meat. The brisket at its best is like smoke-flavored meat butter. You just want to smear it on the bread...

Myself, I scored a smoker for five bucks at a yard sale and have been resisting the temptation to do nothing but smoke meat ever since. Next time I want to do a corned beef and make hot pastrami sandwiches.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4042
RE: California BBQ 2007/06/06 19:35:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by craven.sean

Howdy, all. This is my first post, so let me know how I'm screwing things up...

Myself, I scored a smoker for five bucks at a yard sale and have been resisting the temptation to do nothing but smoke meat ever since. Next time I want to do a corned beef and make hot pastrami sandwiches.

Welcome, craven.sean. I have to say, smoking my own pastrami has really spoiled me. The taste is delicious! Good luck!
dmalfet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: California BBQ 2007/10/24 15:31:11 (permalink)
Jumping in a little late..

When we lived in Concord, I loved Barney's Hickory Pit. It's not traditional BBQ..The sauce is the thing here.
The ribs are tender, served with fries, a pickle and a half a hamburger bun under the meat.There's other stuff on the menu but I never had anything but the ribs

I think the ribs are cooked over wood, The used to be anyway. The sauce is a little different. Sort of a cross between BBQ sauce and gravy. Indescribable..and so VERY yummy!
I have BEGGED for the recipe..lol..I now live in upstate NY, and I long for this stuff..
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: California BBQ 2007/10/24 20:06:30 (permalink)

Unfortunately, a lot of California IS BBQ right now.

truttman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: California BBQ 2007/12/02 19:31:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Merwinkle

Anybody know of any good barbecue out here? I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I'll drive 100 miles for a good restaurant. The ribs at MacArthur Park in Palo Alto are pretty decent, but most of the other local "barbecue" is awful, and I have yet to find any pork that is even edible.

Try "Big Mac's BBQ Shack" in Marysville, CA at the intersection of North Beale and Hammonton/Smartville Roads. Simple place, simple menu, but their BBQ is outstanding. Especially the brisket. Next time I go I'm going to try the half rack of ribs. THe restaurant is kind of new, but they've already proven themselves to the locals.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: California BBQ 2007/12/02 19:44:52 (permalink)
hey come to Sacramenty for some fgreat BBQ at Sandra Dees downtown-funky but comfortable,the food and portions cannot be beat...have eaten there a few times,had them host of batch party ,and have had them cater-after each time cannot wait until the next...check out there menu here-have not had the chicken and waffles yet,better head downtown soon
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: California BBQ 2007/12/02 19:48:22 (permalink)
http://www.sandradeesbbq.com/home.html woops forgot to add the link...really worth looking at, and good blues will play while you browse too
goodeatsfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: California BBQ 2007/12/11 21:04:01 (permalink)
theres an ok place in venice CA called baby blues BBQ its kinda expensive but not bad
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1