Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

California, Here We Come!

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 252
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
Re:California, Here We Come! Mon, 08/12/13 8:38 PM (permalink)
BB, That is one impressive burger.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:California, Here We Come! Tue, 08/13/13 2:26 PM (permalink)
    CTD - That is why they make YOGA pants stretchy 

BB - That is one mighty fine looking burger.  Cliff I agree with you about the VIVID setting on the camera. The pictures were good, but...

I need to visit yosemite, hell I need to visit quite a few more national parks before my list is complete.

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Tue, 08/13/13 6:57 PM (permalink)
      Tuesday April 23rd, 2013 (cont.)

Located right in the center of downtown Sacramento is Sutter's Fort State Historical Park

which goes back to 1839.  The inside living area is considerably bigger

than some of the other forts I have visited in the past few years.

There were quite a few guides in period costumes

demonstrating what life was like at the time.  And since there was a big tour group of kids, the guides were being kept busy answering questions.

In the doctor's office, they had a cannister for leeches. 

Makes you appreciate living now.

To gather all the kids together they rang a bell, which was an attention getter.  This photo

of a young man holding his ears from the noise is my favorite accidental photo of the trip.  If he thought the bell was loud, the next demonstration would far surpass it.  A group of young men went through a long list of tasks necessary for firing the cannon, while the woman at the microphone explained the actions behind her.  Just before they lit the fuse,

they asked us to yell as loud as we could, "Fire in the hole"!  Even though I knew it was coming, the shock of the noise made me move my hands, which is why this photo

is off center.  Let me tell you, it was loud!  And that is a rather small cannon.

As cool as the cannon was, my favorite part of the visit to the fort involved some of the kids.  A few of them were also dressed in period costumes

and they were assigned roles to play.  They would come up and be interviewed, all the while pretending to be some historical figure associated with the fort.  This young lady 

was particularly knowledgeable and entertaining.

We spent a fun 1 1/2 to 2 hours at Sutter's Fort.

Now that we had time to get our appetites back, it was time for lunch #2.  One of the places reviewed on Roadfood in Sacramento is called the Pasty Shack.  Pasties?  In Sacramento?  We have enjoyed them in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and in Butte, Montana, but Sacramento?  Hide your eyes wanderingjew, because we were intrigued enough by the review to make Pasty Shack our next stop.  I can see his face of disapproval from over 500 miles away.

Pasty Shack

does not have their own parking lot.  There is a small strip mall next door, but that looked like an invitation to have your car towed, so we parked down the next side street.  As for the sign above the door, that just means that pasties were served to the athletes at the most recent Olympics in London.

The inside is small,

with just a few tables and a counter in the back where you place your order.  There is some interesting pasty signage around the interior. 

The menu,

with full descriptions are also easily viewed on the walls.  As you can see two of them are only available on certain days and Tuesday is not one of those days, so we had four different pasties to choose from.

Johnny went Bavarian,

which contained ground beef, onions, chopped red & white cabbage, bell peppers and special seasonings.  These were on the larger side of other pasties we have eaten and make for a substantial meal.  Johnny thought his was wonderfully moist and liked that it was steaming hot.  I went chicken pasty. 

Besides the big chunks of meat, it also had mushrooms, peas, corn, onion and potatoes.  This was like eating a really good chicken pot pie.  We both really liked these very much.  To drink, we had a "Hey, they have Sprechers!" moment.

The man who runs this place is extremely nice and seemed to enjoy having us in his shop.  I liked him immediately because he is a dead ringer for the dad of an ex-girlfriend.  The guy loved me, unfortunately more than she did!  

The owner told us that they provide pasties to all the restaurants in the area and they sure seem to do a good business.  We spent a good amount of time here chatting, with a constant stream of people running in to get pasties to go.  We learned that he and his brother also own the bar next door, but he is the one who makes the pasties.  After we finished eating, he sent over some fresh out of the oven apricot bars

for dessert on the house.

One of the quirky things about this place is that the owner liked to include himself into photos with famous people.  I saw this

and told him I recognized everyone except this guy and I pointed.  He said, "That's me!"  Here he is

hanging out with Seal Team 6!

BTW, in my notes is the following:   GPS liked pasty not pasty.  Yeah, I have no clue what that means.

Pasty Shack
      4746 J Street
      Sacramento, CA
      916-454-9630

Much more to come.... 
      <message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 08/13/13 7:07 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:California, Here We Come! Tue, 08/13/13 8:21 PM (permalink)
        Sprecher!!!!!!!!!!!Awesome! Gotta love gps-we were an hour west of Oshkosh-and the gps said we were on the pickle highway-really? We were lost.......

Michael Hoffman

Re:California, Here We Come! Tue, 08/13/13 9:09 PM (permalink)
          Hey, the kid on the far left stole my favorite dress-up suit from when I was 10.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
            Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 12:38 AM (permalink)
            Those pasties look wonderful.

The Pasty Shack is now on my want lists.

Wonder if they ship frozen pasties.  I'd definitely buy several.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
              Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 2:57 AM (permalink)
              BB, the hits just keep onnnnn comin'!!  Beautiful pics and great write-up.  The pancakes and desserts at Bette's look swoonworthy.  And those pics on the way to Yosemite and while you guys were there, wow!!  I see what you mean though with that setting.  The colors are so bright and vivid that they almost have a Thomas Kinkade quality to them. 

So much pie and donuts.  I'm at work right now and all I can think of is hopping on the train to get my fix of some classic sinkers at the 24-hour Donut Pub! 

Sad to hear of the loss of the original Squeeze Inn but times must change and by the looks of things, the quality is still top-notch! 

Sprechers seems to be making it's way across the U.S.  The Travelin' Man and I found some of their root beer at an ice cream shop in the East Village in NYC a number of months ago and it went down smooth!

I was surfing online yesterday, putting together a list of new places to check out for my next trip to Boston and a Jewish deli named Zaftig's Delicatessen in my old neighborhood of Brookline serves breakfast all day and has a "San Francisco Joe's Special" on the menu!  Who knew?!
              Can't wait to read the rest...
              <message edited by billyboy on Wed, 08/14/13 8:27 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 8:04 AM (permalink)

Inspired by the legendary ChiTownDiner, we plowed ahead towards lunch #3!  This would be yet another burger joint, Nationwide Meats

Have to admit, that is a terrific name for a Roadfood restaurant.  The inside is fairly large, with plenty of booths and tables.  The décor consists mostly of Coca-Cola memorabilia,  

although the art on the wall, was eye-catching. 

You order at the counter in the back and the man who waited on us bore an uncanny likeness to the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.  Although he never smiled, he wasn't really unfriendly.  Here is the menu:

We decided to get two items and then share.  The French dip

came on a real nice ciabatta roll, with quite a bit of thinly shaved beef.  The meat could have been moister, but I guess that is what the cup of au jus on the side is for.  Not bad, but certainly not in the class as Philippe's.

The burger though was something special.  Actually, they call these French ground steak burgers.  Considering how much we had already eaten, we just got a single, with cheese,

though I would love to know what one of the quadruples looks like.  The bun is lightly toasted, but still soft and unless you specify otherwise, the burgers here come with lettuce, onion and tomato.  The sauce you see seems like standard thousand islands dressing.  All of that is fine, but it is the meat here that stars.  It is loosely packed, juicy and it really does taste like they freshly grind their own steak.  One of the best burgers I have eaten in recent memory.

We were also big fans of the extra-thick cut fries,

which were perfectly crispy on the outside, but still had a creamy interior.  For the second time today, we were provided dixie cups to hold ketchup for dipping.  Less successful were the milkshakes,

mine pineapple, Johnny's lemon.  He said his shake wasn't very lemony and mine was just average.

Nationwide Meats
                1930 H Street
                Sacramento, CA
                916-444-3286

At this point, we were now full and checked into the hotel to relax for a few hours.

Much more to come..... 
                <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 08/14/13 8:05 AM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 8:30 AM (permalink)
                  Sutter's Fort is a great place to visit, and combining that with a visit to the Cal. State Rail Museum in "Old Sacramento" is a full day of outstanding exhibits and displays.

About Sprecher's... We love the stuff  and while the Orange Creme and Root Beer are very good, their Cherry Cola is our favorite soft drink.

Your report, even though done "long after the fact" continues to incite strong memories of visits to that historic area.  Thanks, Cliff and Johnny, I appreciate your sharing this adventure with us.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                    Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 8:54 AM (permalink)
                    This is a great story of how Roadfood places become Roadfood places. They started cooking steaks and giving out samples to sell sides of beef. In time people told them to open a restaurant and sell steak sandwiches the rest is History...............Every town should have a burger place like this.......Great report BB

Thus, Nationwide Meats Steaks and Burgers was launched.  He continued to buy Harris Ranch hind quarters but now trimmed and ground the choice steak and hand-formed the burger patties.  They were an instant success.
                    Nationwide Meats/ Burgers/ Sandwiches (whatever name you prefer) has continued to have a loyal following.  In early 2000, Frank described it this way: “I’ve had customers move away and come back 10 years later to say that the burgers are still superb,” Gonzales said with pride.  “Some of our customers come into town and this is the first place they come, sometimes by cab right from the airport.  I have one customer that drives here from Santa Rosa just for lunch.”
                    Frank passed away in 2004 but his standards for making the best burgers out of the best beef still stands with his son, John, at the helm. John loves his work and his customers.  “We use nothing but the best you can buy.”  The best, John describes, includes purchasing an entire hind quarter of U.S.D.A. Choice beef, hand trimming and course grinding the choice-meat, then hand forming the patties.  Potatoes are bought in 100-pound sacks, cleaned and cooked with the skins, The french rolls (buns) are baked and delivered fresh daily, shakes are made with the freshest fruit available.

Come on down for the best burger in town!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                      Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 9:05 AM (permalink)
                      BB, did you happen to ask the Pasty Shack owner if he's from the upper Midwest?  The pasties and Sprecher sodas make me wonder if he has some connection to Wisconsin and/or Michigan.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1957
                        Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                        buffetbuster

Tuesday April 23rd, 2013

When we checked in at Yosemite Bug, they told us that the office opens at 8:00AM.  So when I told him that we would be gone by then and inquired what we should do with the keys, he seemed puzzled.  He asked, "You really might be gone that early?"  Um, yeah.  Finally after consulting with another employee, he told us to just leave the key in the room and added he will still write a note to the morning crew to make sure I don't get charged for another day.  Is this really the first time this has come up?

One of the reasons we wanted to leave so early was that we were headed to Sacramento and had a lot to squeeze in.   Such as the Squeeze Inn.

First stop once we arrived in town was Marie's Do-Nut Shop

It is a small building on a busy street and while Johnny was on an important phone call from home, I went up and ordered a half dozen through the window.  The lady who waited on us was very friendly and patiently answered all of my questions about which donuts were which.  Let me tell you, these are some great looking donuts! 

Our half dozen included a plain cake,

apple fritter, boston cream,

glazed, maple cruller and a blueberry cake.  Hindsight is always 20/20, but how in the world did we walk away without getting one of those cinnamon rolls?  All of them were delicious, but the apple fritter and the boston cream were the standouts.  We snacked on those as we drove around, as if we weren't going to eat enough over the next two days.

Marie's Do-Nut Shop
                        2950 Freeport Boulevard
                        Sacramento, CA

Much more to come.....  

Marie's is very good, I ate my fare share over the years when I lived in Sacramento,
                        but you missed a very good bakery just across the street, Freeport Bakery

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 11:20 AM (permalink)
                          annpeeples-
                          Pickle highway?  Love that!  Sounds like a highway most Roadfooders would enjoy driving.

Michael-
                          There are probably quite a few people in forum who would love to see what you look like in that suit again!

mar52-
                          The Pasty Shack definitely does sell frozen pasties.  If I remember properly, a good portion of the customers were buying frozen ones to go.

ScreamingChicken-
                          I never came right out and asked him if he was from the UP or Wisconsin, but did mention that these seemed out of place in Sacramento.  Here sure did not sounds like he was from the Upper Midwest.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                            Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 11:40 AM (permalink)
                              BB-so now WE have an accent? And honestly-that's what the gps said-but alas, no pickles.
                            <message edited by ann peeples on Wed, 08/14/13 11:42 AM>

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                              Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
                              What's "French ground steak?"  How's it different from regular ground beef?

Those pasties looked so good.  Savory pies!!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 12:05 PM (permalink)
                                The chicken pasty looks better than any I ever had when I lived in Michigan!

Michael Hoffman

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                  ann peeples

BB-so now WE have an accent? And honestly-that's what the gps said-but alas, no pickles.

Oh. yah! Wisconsinites have an accent.

Michael Hoffman

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                    love2bake

It's really viande de cheval.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                                      Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                      love2bake

The French Steakburger is made with U.S.D.A. Choice certified quality steak, freshly ground and topped with our signature thousand island sauce. Each French Ground Steakburger is made with a 1/3 pound patty. We cook each patty to the perfect temperature on the flat top grill to seal the juices for best flavor. We add red onions, tomatoes and lettuce and top the whole thing off with a wholesome french roll, soft and chewy; that's what holds the sandwich together perfectly throughout the meal.

now you can sleep tonight

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                                        Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                        pnwchef

love2bake

The French Steakburger is made with U.S.D.A. Choice certified quality steak, freshly ground and topped with our signature thousand island sauce. Each French Ground Steakburger is made with a 1/3 pound patty. We cook each patty to the perfect temperature on the flat top grill to seal the juices for best flavor. We add red onions, tomatoes and lettuce and top the whole thing off with a wholesome french roll, soft and chewy; that's what holds the sandwich together perfectly throughout the meal.

now you can sleep tonight

Thanks, pnw!!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                                          Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                          BB, now I have to call them to see if the ship! 

I forgot to mention that I thought that the leech crock said lleechef on it.

I never knew that Sacramento had so much to offer. 

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                            ann peeples

BB-so now WE have an accent?  

That's okay Ann, I don't have an accent either!
                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 08/14/13 3:42 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                              billyboy-
                                              You are right, the vivid photos do remind one of a Kinkade painting.  Unfortunately, there will be a few occasions coming up where the only photos I took of something interesting were with that setting.  A few will be used, but others will be bypassed because I don't want the readers to feel they are on an acid trip! 

Since you brought up the Donut Pub, thanks so much for sending that box full of goodness down to Baltimore with TTM.  I can assure you they disappeared with honor!  My favorites may have been the donut holes.

If you do try the Joe's Special in Brookline, please report back and let us know how it was.

MayorAl-
                                              100% agree about Sprecher's.  I am a root beer man, but that cherry beats the root beer hands down.  Have you tried the grape?  And thanks so much for the kind words.  Better late than never!

chefbuba-
                                              Thanks for the tip on Freeport Bakery.  After viewing the website, it does look like we missed out on a really good place.  I just don't know how we could have squeezed it in, since we were already making five food stops a day.  Looking forward to your comments on some of the other places we visit.
                                              <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 08/14/13 3:41 PM>

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                                Just an outstanding report and pictures!! Thank you so much for taking us along!

Ralph Melton

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                                  buffetbuster, have you tried the cheeseburger with cheese skirt at the Middle Road Inn near Pittsburgh? I wonder how it compares to the cheese skirts you've listed. (I tried it once and wasn't impressed, so this isn't necessarily an endorsement.)

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/14/13 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    Ralph, the cheese skirts are nothing new to me since there are three different restaurants just in my small town who also make them.  Only here they are called "old-fashions".  I like them and order them about once a month.  I wasn't aware of a place called the Middle Road Inn or that they offer these types of burgers.  May have to check it out.  Thanks!

And I always appreciate your kind words agnesrob!
                                                    <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 08/14/13 10:47 PM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/15/13 6:55 AM (permalink)
                                                      With regard to lunch #3, the beef sandwich does look a little dry.  As it's really a cousin of the Chicago style Italian Beef sandwich, I like mine "wet" which is dipped in the Italian beef juice to really soak it through.  Sweet and cheese are occasional options for me also. 

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/15/13 8:13 AM (permalink)

The last time we were in Sacramento, approximately a decade earlier, we found a great ice cream shop.  Since then, I have thought about this place many times, hoping to get back, but could not recall the name.  Through a little research, I figured out that is was Vic's. 

Before our dinner, we thought that ice cream should come first. 

Vic's is family owned and looks like it has been here for a long time.  The inside

is sparkling clean, with both booths and counter seating.  Sorry about the blurry photo of the menu board,

but it is the only one I took and I wanted people to see the nice variety of available flavors.

My two choices were a scoop of peppermint and a scoop of mint chip.  My first reaction was: 

that sure is an awful lot of food coloring.  I am not a big fan of vivid setting looking ice cream!  Johnny's favorite flavor is toasted almond, so he ordered a scoop of that and one of cherry amaretto.  After I got the obligatory photos, Johnny asked the friendly young man waiting on us to add some hot fudge sauce to the top of his. 

That is yet another thing I admire about my cousin Johnny, he is an idea man!  The hot fudge was actually more like a thin chocolate sauce and we both thought the ice cream was ordinary at best.  

So is this ice cream parlor not making as good of a product or has my taste changed over the years?  Regardless, it was a nice little stop, but next time back in Sacramento, we would probably try somewhere else for ice cream. 

Vic's
                                                        3199 Riverside Boulevard
                                                        Sacramento, CA
                                                        916-448-0892 

Johnny is a fan of the tv show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and he came prepared with a list of restaurants he had seen on the show.  One of the places that intrigued him was Jamie's Broadway Grille.  

What what he had seen, this place was famous for not having a sign, but when we pulled up they did have a sign in the parking lot.  Regardless, it would have been easy to find anyway.  The inside is not particularly big, with both a bar and a separate dining area.  We were asked if we had reservations, which, of course, we did not.  We were seated immediately anyway in what appeared to be the only open table.  

One of the nice things about Jamie's is that you can order half portions.  Considering how much we had already consumed on this day, we decided that was the way to go.  Johnny went with the half of the garlic steak sandwich, which is one of the dishes he saw on the show.  It came on a lightly toasted soft bun and the beef was perfectly tender and ultra-garlicky.  This was a big hit with both of us.  I should mention that the inside was very dark and there were several tables right next to us.  The only way to get a decent shot would have been to use the flash, which I considered obtrusive.  

Strangely, the food did not come out all at once.  By the time my food made it to the table, a few nearby tables cleared out, so I was able to get photos.  My entrée was the half portion of the hot turkey sandwich.  

They use real roasted turkey, both white and dark meat.  The mashed potatoes were certainly the real thing and along with the dark gravy, this was even better than the sandwich.  A small cup of cranberry sauce came on the side.

Johnny and I also split an order of the extra-crispy onion rings,

another item we thoroughly enjoyed.  Despite being very full when we arrived, there was no leftovers!

Jamie's Broadway Grille
                                                        427 Broadway
                                                        Sacramento, CA
                                                        916-442-4044

It was back to the hotel for the night.

Much more to come.....     
                                                        <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 08/15/13 8:15 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/15/13 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          I so hot open-faced sandwiches like your picture!  Were the onion rings sweet like a vadallia or regular?  They looked grease free! 

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/15/13 1:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            CTD-
                                                            I am also a big fan of open face sandwich, especially turkey and meatloaf.  With lots of gravy!  Now I need to have a hot turkey sandwich for dinner tonight.

The onion rings were not the least bit greasy and on the sweet side, but I can't say for sure they were vidalia.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 252

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com