California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
2011/10/22 17:08:40 (permalink)

California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i

Yet ANOTHER idea is a trip up California Hwy 49...

In the very scenic world renowned Sierra Nevada mountains...in historic places, in the mountains & gulches, small towns and boomtowns along the pioneer "Golden Chain Highway" of the Mother Lode goldrush country...

Breakfast in Coursegold...???
Lunch in Sonora...???  Doc's Texas bbq...???
Desert in Murphy's ...???  Try the pies...
Dinner in Columbia...???
Munchies in Mariposa...???
Dinner in Coulterville...??? 
Lunch in Angels Camp...???
Dinner in Jackson...???
Lunch in Placerville...???
Dinner in Nevada City...???
Dinner in Downeyville...???
Lunch in Loyalton...???
Pork in Portola...???

NOMINATIONS:  would anybody like to be a Regional Guide...???

STOPS & ITINERARY:  Suggestions of places to eat...???  What route versus time of day to plan well timed meals (breakfast at breakfasttime, lunch at lunchtime, dinner at dinnertime, etc)

My initial thoughts are to start at the southern end in mid to late May (but BEFORE the Memorial Day Weekend tourist onslaught) and work our way north...possibility of encountering SNOW in May.

ALTERNATIVE is to do it in the FALL (after Labor Day) to see Fall Colors, again trying to avoid the summer crowds...

Links for California Hwy 49:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_49
http://www.historichwy49.com/mainmap.html
http://highway49.org/site/pages/home.cgi
www.malakoff.com/goldcountry/maintcgc.htm
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/drives/ca49.htm
www.viamagazine.com/destinations/northern-gold-country

Do you know of any good places to eat, sleep, & be merry alongf this route (or nearby)...???

post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/10/22 17:17:54

6 Replies Related Threads

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i 2011/10/22 18:16:09 (permalink)
    http://www.washingtonhotel.net/   I would urge you to take a detour about 25 minutes out of nevada city and check out/ stay at the amazing washington hotel...a unique  little town and the hotel is as authentic old west as you can get
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i 2011/10/26 03:13:24 (permalink)
    That looks like an interesting place, not that far from N.C....

The off season menu seems to be Eggs, Burgers, Pizza and Mexican...???

The horsehoe tournament seems like a nice afternoon pasttime...

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    Re:California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i 2011/10/29 22:33:25 (permalink)
    I've taken that trip/route several times. But then I moved out of Fresno 13 years ago. Any info I have would be far out of date. I love going into old town Mariposa. My Dad drove a refrigarated delivery route that included Mariposa. I had my 1st sasparilla there and a great time with my dad. God I miss him.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i 2011/11/09 14:21:27 (permalink)
    Years ago I did Cal Hwy 49 from end to end, so I'm due to do it again...

The challenge is to find places I've eaten at before...sometimes the memory gets foggy, and sometimes places change hands and are renamed...I don't keep a log book...

And there's always new places to discover...(I'd weigh 500 pounds if I stopped at every food joint I drive by)...

One resource that I sometimes use is TV programs...one of my favorites is a PBS show called California's Gold (by Huell Howser Productions)...I don't know how widely this is seen outside California...The show often spotlights towns in the Sierra, and many of these towns change very little...

I'm a mountain man type, so these small towns are a favorite for me to visit...but there are also times I drive on backroads that have NO services of food available, such as when I drive up the Beckwourth Trail on my way up to the railroad yards...

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i 2011/11/09 15:14:04 (permalink)
    Love Huel Howser -great resource and such a quirky ,enthusiastic guy `its a rock ! its AMAZING".. 
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:California Hwy 49 "Mother Lode" Gold Country Food, Foto, Fun Frolic...???i 2011/11/15 15:39:17 (permalink)
    Huell is a great host...

His primary audience is school children...a non commercial tv station produces and distributes it, and you've seen the teachers associations that endorse it...so he'll emphasize and repeat key words...he could make a horse turd sound interesting...!!!

But folks of all ages can learn from it, and I place high value on that...good content and production values as a tv magazine...

I often draw inspiration from California's Gold, Eye On The Bay (KPIX-TV), and DDD (the spikey haired Guy)...and in times past Evening Magazine and Mac & Mutley before they folded (Eye On The Bay is a successor to Evening Magazine) Evening Magazine was later syndicated & franchised out as "PM Magazine"...

Even though I'm a native of this here state (CA) and have been lots of places...there's SO many more to explore with camera and picnic basket before jumping in my grave...and I often draw ideas from these shows...

I have a map of Calif...marked with an orange highlighter pen on EVERY road I've been on...and IF I get hit with boredom, I can always grab this map and hit the road and look for a place not yet traveled...

I'm trying to rememebr the name of the place in Murphy's that the great pies...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1