Calling out all Roadfood vetrans!

Author
BradJ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/05/21 08:31:06 (permalink)

Calling out all Roadfood vetrans!

Hello all,

I have a question to ask. What would you say would make a truely successful hot dog cart? What must it have? What must it avoid? Where should it be located? What brands are good/stay away from. Finally what are some of your favorite things about eating from hot dog cart? Also, if you had your own cart what would you be doing that no one else would be doing?

Thanks All!

8 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 09:36:33 (permalink)
    I want an all beef, 5 or 6 to the pound, charcoal grilled. And must have brown or deli style mustard. Give me that and almost nothing else matters, except cleanliness.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 09:41:59 (permalink)
    I really agree with signman about the cleanliness! Also have great customer service. Give your regulars something special now and again! Do something different like have music playing softly or something! Good Luck!
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 09:47:08 (permalink)
    Make mine grilled, not boiled , and give me a choice of Cincinnati chili or the stuff with beans. And please, be clean!

Oh and a catchy name never hurts!
    THIS IS MY 500th POST! I'm moving up in the echelon of Roadfood Society! I AM A DOUBLE! Congrats to myself!
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 09:49:35 (permalink)
    Yeah for Kristi S! Im still on my quest for Hamburger...
    dharma dog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 10:29:16 (permalink)
    Hey Brad
    looks like you want to start a cart, me too!
    I'm in south eastern ontario. I've smpled dogs across eastern canada and in europe.
    Generally i like griled sausage, but their is a guy east of here in a little tourist town who serves a steamed dog that melts in the mmouth. don't know the brand.
    i really like to see unusual condiments...someone posted a pic sausage here a week ago that had red cabbage and ??? on it and i salivated.
    i think a variety of mustard is important. In Vienna they had at least 4 mustards at every place and a selection of various hot peppers. Dog tastes ARE regional tho. my fave so far has been the sausage served with dark rye bread and a MILD fresh grated horseradish in Vienna.
    good relishes are a favourite, also. i like corn relishes and tarter cucumber relishes.
    I want the dogs to be fresh and the cart to be clean...i also really like to banter with the vendor. This is one of the reasons I want a cart. if the guy can't have a quick word, then i'm not going back.
    Someting a bit differentis good too...something to amuse people is my bias. There is a guy here who has a chip/dog cart. He sells water, pepsi, dogs and fries. That's it. He always has a line-up. His truck is almost covered in pumper stickers. They kept ME amused while i was standing in line! (i was a little suprised by ALL the stickers that related to pot, given his age...but, what do I know .
    dharma dog
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 10:43:00 (permalink)
    Kristi, Congratulations...keep on Posting !!

Hot dogs are not usually near the top of my list, but Hot Links BBQ'd for ages till they are crispy and ready to explode when you bite into them are right up there . Not for port-a-cart business, but at Louis Muellers they fit right in with the Brisket and Ribs.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 14:21:33 (permalink)
    We have had food carts of all types around our courthouse square during lunch time (except during winter) for quite a few years and they have been very popular with all the people who work downtown (enough so that some of the downtown restaurants now have food carts in order to compete). The people can get their food and then sit or stand in the shade of the trees in the square if they want to, so try to pick a place where your customers can eat with some comfort. For our carts, cleanliness is pretty much automatic, since our city/county health department inspects the carts regularly, and will shut them down for major or numerous violations, just like they do the sit-down restaurants and grocery stores.
    To me, the bun is just as important as the dog. It should be big enough and strong enough to hold all the toppings you might offer without shredding, splitting, or falling apart (and dropping all those "goodies" on your customer's clothes).
    You asked what to do to make your cart different. The variety of toppings you offer could make your cart stand out. If I were you I would start off offering all the locally popular toppings, plus one or two additional different ones each week, listening carefully to your customer's comments about the additional toppings. Any of the different ones that seem to get favorable comments can then be added permanently to your regular group. From what I have read on the various Roadfood message boards, I can think of well over two dozen different toppings you might be able to offer on a trial basis. Our Boy Scout troop, as a fundraiser, sells hot dogs twice a year at a local celebration and as toppings we offer catsup, yellow mustard, chopped onions, and sweet relish for free, as well as cheese sauce, real chilli without beans (not canned hot dog chilli sauce), and medium salsa, each for an extra charge. (It is surprising how many people will pay extra for the salsa, even though this is not a locally popular topping for hot dogs.)
    Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Calling out all Roadfood vetrans! 2004/05/21 15:06:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

Make mine grilled, not boiled , and give me a choice of Cincinnati chili or the stuff with beans. And please, be clean!

Oh and a catchy name never hurts!

THIS IS MY 500th POST! I'm moving up in the echelon of Roadfood Society! I AM A DOUBLE! Congrats to myself!

Congratulations, Kristi--I'm still slogging my way through junior burgerdom.

Charlie
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1