Calumet Region Trip Report

Author
Train
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2009/06/11 16:27:45 (permalink)

Calumet Region Trip Report

Spent three days recently exploring the Calumet Region. While I was already pretty familiar with northwest Indiana, most of the south Chicago suburbs were new territory for me. I'd planned to make Lincoln's O in Highland my first stop but arrived to find they were closed for three days for maintenance (opening again tomorrow). There was a tavern only a block away called Traditions, which I remembered hearing served bluegill, so it became the first lunch of the trip. Totally unassuming from the outside, the inside was sort of northwoods-looking, dark wood walls, etc. They seemed especially proud of their homemade soups -- two different daily specials were offered -- so I ordered cream of asparagus, which was great and turned out to be the high point of the meal.

It was the first time I'd ever had bluegill deep-fried, rather than pan-fried. And while it was all right, there was definitely something lost in the translation. I'd return to Traditions, if only to try more of the soups.

Spent most of the afternoon across the border in Illinois. Had a fig ice at Zarlengo's in Chicago Heights. I liked it, though immediately regretted that I didn't try pear. I might have anyway, if I weren't heading straight to Mitchell's in Homewood, another suburb I'd never been to before. What a nice town! Really attractive downtown area, beautiful old train station, and the original location of Aurelio's Pizza. Mitchell's is a neat old soda fountain, though I was disappointed by the chocolate malted I got there. I wasn't watching closely as it was made, but it sure tasted like they used malt syrup, rather than powder.

For dinner that night I wanted to try John's Pizza, a local chain I'd never had before, at their newest outpost in Whiting. It was wonderful, great crust, sausage, cheese, probably my best meal of the trip.

It underscored again what a terrible pizza town I live in (Indianapolis).

Drove thru Portage the next morning and was impressed that they have a nice lake right downtown.

There was an intriguing-looking place called Lake George Shrimp House. Does anyone know anything about it? I was tempted to try it but really wanted to hit Lincoln's in Highland today -- and did! It's an old-school sandwich shop with a great feel.

I got the U.S. Steel (grilled roast beef and cheese), nice big sandwich, very good.

Then onto more exploring in Illinois, with an ice cream stop at Cunis Candies in South Holland. Overall, I got a better feel from Cunis than Mitchell's. It was still too early in the season for their peach ice cream, so I got a scoop each of banana and chocolate. The banana was definitely imitation and a let-down (is there a bigger gulf between real and imitation flavors than banana anything? I don't think so) but I thought the chocolate was very good, everyone working there was obviously family, and I plan to return before the summer's up for the peach. Here's their candy counter:

I'd planned to have a steak that night for dinner but my stomach was a little upset, so thought I'd opt for fish again. I'd have been better off with the steak. Went to the Schererville Lounge, a small place downtown with a clubby feel, that was packed on a Thursday night. But the lake perch I ordered were once again deep-fried -- and incredibly greasy. I've had excellent deep-fried lake perch, and in general I don't shy away from a little greasiness. But these were greasy to the point where the main flavor was, well, grease. Biggest disappointment of the trip.

Skipped lunch the next day and just drove around, the Indiana side this time, exploring food shops like these in Merrillville:

and Griffith:

My last meal of the trip was at the Warsaw Inn, a famous old Polish Smorgasbord in Lynwood, Illinois.

It was awesome! Wonderful old-school layout, accordian player in the corner (alternating polkas with stuff like "Tweedlee-Dee" and "Knock Three Times"), nice crowd, full bar -- and really full buffet line.

The American items were just so-so but that's not what I was there for. The pierogis, blintzes, duck, mushroom soup, and sweets were great. Here's my fist platefull:

Snapped this shot of the salad and dessert offerings

but was asked (nicely) to stop taking pictures before I could shoot the main buffet. Turns out the owner (who was not present that night) has a certain horror of customers taking pictures (the woman explaining this to me wasn't even sure why herself); I was happy to oblige. So enjoy these shots, apparently they're pretty rare.

All in all, a great trip, one that's easy enough for me that I'll probably do another before the summer's up.

post edited by Train - 2009/06/11 16:35:33

16 Replies Related Threads

TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 481
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/11 17:21:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing your adventure! The sandwich looks pretty tasty, and I am a huge fan of polish pierogies.  Welcome to Roadfood!!
    jbburn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/11 17:53:33 (permalink)
    Glad you got to see some of the best of the Region.John's is my favorite pizza,grew up on the stuff.I always liked Cunis more than Mitchell's.Maybe artificial strawberry is close to artificial banana in awfullness.Great report.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1051
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/11 18:07:46 (permalink)
    Wow!

Was there really roast duck on the Warsaw smorgasbord?  That would be a real draw for me.  I love "well done" roast duck as it is prepared in Central and Eastern European-style restaurants. 

I loathe "pan-seared boneless duck breast, cooked rare," which has become ubiquitous these days.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/11 19:08:00 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood, and thanks for the report.  I was just in the area about a month ago and went to Cunis Candies with Roadfooder Nocarolina.  (We also went to Popolano's in Lansing, IL for some great fried chicken.)  I had not been to the other places but now have some more ideas for my next trip.
    Train
    Junior Burger
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/12 11:37:51 (permalink)
    jbburn - John's was great. I've encountered that "Region-style" pizza -- crumbled sausage, cornmeal (or whatever it is) on the bottom, rectangular slices -- as far east as Michigan City, at Albano's Villa Pizza (which I bet you already know, if you're in New Buffalo now).

rumaki - There was indeed roast duck on the Warsaw buffet line, you can see it on the upper-righthand corner of my plate. I was lucky, as it's not a regular offering, they only have it once or twice a week.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/12 13:33:06 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood.  Great report!  Keep them coming.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/13 10:19:40 (permalink)
    Magnificent first report. great photos, great text. Welcome to Roadfood. I'm really looking forward to your next report.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/15 22:50:16 (permalink)
    YES you are absolutely right about the fake banana/real banana thing.  It's almost as bad as 'watermelon flavor'--you just can't do it.  Of course fake cherry isn't the same as real either.

Lovely report Train.  That grilled roast beef & cheese sandwich looks awesome!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/16 00:19:45 (permalink)
    As many years as I've lived in Lansing IL ( 20+ ), you'd think that I'd be familiar with Lincoln's, as Highland IN is only about fifteen minutes away. I've never heard of it before, though, and I'll have to check it out real soon. 
    julioindy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/16 10:34:06 (permalink)

the picture of the lake is Hobart, Portage has no lake only the shore of lake michigan
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/16 10:37:29 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot to say, the dining room and buffet look like you're about to have lunch with Marge Gunderson.  Oh ya!
    AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/16 10:42:24 (permalink)
    I wouldn't call Indianapolis a "terrible pizza" town.

My favorites, all local:

Jockamo Upper Crust Pizza
    Bazbeaux Pizza
    Some Guys Pizza
    Maria’s Pizza
    WB Pizza

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8363
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/16 10:50:04 (permalink)
    Mr.Chips- it actually wasnt his first report-he was in Milwaukee an reported on his visit..the forum came and went
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/16 11:56:11 (permalink)
    Whoops!
    Train
    Junior Burger
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/17 20:37:48 (permalink)
    julioindy
    the picture of the lake is Hobart, Portage has no lake only the shore of lake michigan

Yep, my mistake.

Train
    Junior Burger
    Re:Calumet Region Trip Report 2009/06/17 20:48:36 (permalink)
    AaronM
    I wouldn't call Indianapolis a "terrible pizza" town.
    My favorites, all local:

Jockamo Upper Crust Pizza
    Bazbeaux Pizza
    Some Guys Pizza
    Maria’s Pizza
    WB Pizza

I don't like Bazbeaux or Jockamo, the other three are ok. My real problem is with Indy's mom-and-pop storefront pizza places, which are almost all uniformly awful -- bad crust, cheap ingredients. Maria's at least makes a unique pizza. The others on your list are relative newbies, the kind of "gourmet" pizza shops that most cities now have, and they can be all right, but none of them compare to what you find in some place like Hammond, stopping in practically any random neighborhood joint.

Have you had the pizza at Iaria's? Their pasta is really boring but I think their pizza is the best in town: great flaky crust, homemade sausage, just one size, they insist on calling it "pizza pie." Be sure to get it with provolone, it's really much better than their mozzarella pies. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1