Camp Washington Chili

Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 522
2010/11/26 10:20:06 (permalink)

Camp Washington Chili

Hey Gang

Just wanted to post my report on Camp Washington Chili in Cincinnati.

The goetta was fantastic. It had a nicely seasoned, slightly spicy taste and was done of the flat top which gave it a terrific crust.

The double decker we got was ham and turkey. I really liked the fact that it was a simple sandwich. The two different cold cuts with lettuce and mayonnaise. It tasted as it should've.

The chili was excellent. The flavours were so well balanced that they really just became one flavour. No one spice dominated over the other. We had a three way and some Coney's.

I don't know how to post pictures so you'll just have to check them out here. Along with a longer reveiw.
http://xrl.in/6ptj

DT

16 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/26 20:43:41 (permalink)
    I finally got to Camp Washington in late July of this year.  I think I had greater expectations for it.  It was good, but it wasn't all that different from the canned Gold Star stuff that I had been getting for years.  Mind you, it was a little better than Gold Star, but we're talking slight degrees.

On my way out of town I went to a Skyline Chili outlet.  Again, compared to Gold Star and Camp Washington we are talking only about slight degrees of difference.  Skyline's version was the lesser of the three, in my opinion.  Essentially, though, I discovered that Cincinnati chili is a recipe that is pretty much the same wherever I tried it.  A pinch of spice less here; a pinch more there; it didn't vary too greatly from place to place.

I'll have to get to the area again and try Blue Ash Chili and see if there is a difference.

And, for all I know, there is a version of Cincinnati style chili that hasn't come to my attention that I need to know about.

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/27 22:11:20 (permalink)
    Johnny Jphnson, the owner, told me a few years ago that he makes 60 gallons of chili per day.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/28 16:59:01 (permalink)
    Louis

I finally got to Camp Washington in late July of this year.  I think I had greater expectations for it.  It was good, but it wasn't all that different from the canned Gold Star stuff that I had been getting for years.  Mind you, it was a little better than Gold Star, but we're talking slight degrees.

On my way out of town I went to a Skyline Chili outlet.  Again, compared to Gold Star and Camp Washington we are talking only about slight degrees of difference.  Skyline's version was the lesser of the three, in my opinion.  Essentially, though, I discovered that Cincinnati chili is a recipe that is pretty much the same wherever I tried it.  A pinch of spice less here; a pinch more there; it didn't vary too greatly from place to place.

I'll have to get to the area again and try Blue Ash Chili and see if there is a difference.

And, for all I know, there is a version of Cincinnati style chili that hasn't come to my attention that I need to know about.

Louis,

I tell people all the time that I believe Cincinnati Chili is an acquired taste. I am a born and raised Cincinnatian, and I can tell the difference between all the styles of Cincy chili. I do not think the canned (or frozen) versions taste the same as the product you get in the restaurants. However, I have eaten it all my life!! I also think Gold Star's product is different in every restaurant. Skyline's chili comes from one place, and tends to be the same, but I have still seen a more watery chili in some restaurants (although that may be a result of how long it has been on the steam table). My personal favorite is Camp Washington, which I think is a little less sweet.
    Davwud, I enjoyed your photos!! It has been a while since I've been to Camp Washington. I think it is time for a visit!!
    post edited by soozycue520 - 2010/11/28 17:01:26
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/28 18:47:15 (permalink)
    Davwud, neat review and pictures! And nice web site! Sure made me hungry!!! I will go back and take a look at the rest of your site soon.
    Joe
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 522
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/28 23:20:40 (permalink)
    Thanks gang.

DT
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/29 10:49:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for your comments, Soozycue520.  I'm going to come to Cincinnati again sometime and try some more of your city's chili variations.  I like the recipe, and I imagine once I have tasted about a dozen samplings from various area restaurants, I'll be able to pick up the subtleties between the dish's many variations.

Your comment on it being an acquired taste made me think of something.  It's really no different than my region's preference for barbecue mutton; every restaurant that serves it is a little different.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/29 10:56:31 (permalink)
    I've got to agree with soozyque520.

I remember a couple of years ago going to Skyline Chili in Cleveland  when I was on a business trip  and then a few days later I went to Blue Ash Chili in Blue Ash. And there was a definite profound difference in taste and texture (For the better at Blue Ash Chili)

I also remember not enjoying the Chili at Price Hill Chili when I visited there back in 1999 or 2000, I remember the Chili having a drier texture than what I'm used to and there was an odd "aftertaste" that I didn't like.

Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 452
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/29 11:33:15 (permalink)
    Consider me sold.  Camp Washington's on my Urbanspoon wishlist now.  If only I had an expense account with somebody, somewhere to get up to Cincy for a lunch or four...
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/11/29 12:08:10 (permalink)
    I would gladly trade places with you (Cincinnati <--> Atlanta) for another taste of the pizza at Varasano's
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/01 15:40:05 (permalink)
    Louis

Louis

Get up this way again and I will join you for blue ash chili and maybe some aglameis brothers ice cream

jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/01 17:08:32 (permalink)
    soozycue520

I tell people all the time that I believe Cincinnati Chili is an acquired taste. I am a born and raised Cincinnatian, and I can tell the difference between all the styles of Cincy chili. I do not think the canned (or frozen) versions taste the same as the product you get in the restaurants. However, I have eaten it all my life!! I also think Gold Star's product is different in every restaurant. Skyline's chili comes from one place, and tends to be the same, but I have still seen a more watery chili in some restaurants (although that may be a result of how long it has been on the steam table). My personal favorite is Camp Washington, which I think is a little less sweet.
    Davwud, I enjoyed your photos!! It has been a while since I've been to Camp Washington. I think it is time for a visit!!

I agree 100% soozycue, but find my favorite to be Camp Washington due to it feeling much smoother and richer than many of the other parlors.
    Add to that that the city wide variations are quite subtle indeed, and you have to learn to look for the differences.

And IIRC, either Price Hill chili or Empress was the least favorite of the Roadfood Chili GTG a few years back.

Yell when you'll be in town and I'll happily join you and CajunKing as it won;t be our first Cincy Chili "rodeo" together. LOL.
    Jerry
    jjjrfoodie
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/02 10:03:31 (permalink)
    OK, Cajun King and Jerry, I'll certainly join you next time I'm up that way.  Don't worry.  I'll be back.

hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/02 10:20:50 (permalink)
    I think there are differences that are noticeable and it's not all just the chili.  I like the thicker noodles at Camp Washington but my wife does not.   I think the one we both like the best overall is Dixie though we also like Chili Time which we found completely by accident when we followed the wrong directions from a mobile phone search (looking for Blue Ash).  The only one that we did not really like at all was at Delhi Chili.  Although the goetta there was good so it wasn't a complete waste.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/02 11:26:02 (permalink)
    As far as Cincinnati chili being an acquired taste, I dunno. It's different from traditional chili, but just as good in its own way. I'd eat either one with gusto. 5 way, please.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/02 15:35:01 (permalink)
    When we did the chili crawl last year

the concensus was that Blue Ash Chili was the better of the 9+ chili places we hit that day.

Price Hill Chili was low on the list

Atleye
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Camp Washington Chili 2010/12/10 17:58:40 (permalink)
    I grew up in Dayton, but live in Atlanta now.  I had Varasano's for the first time last month (and twice since), and it is fantastic.  It is a true NY pizza with great ingredients. The charcuterie is decent too.

As for Cincy Chili, I've eaten at most of them and agree that each on has it's own taste.  I love Camp Washington's 4-way.  The place across the street, US Chili?, is mediocre, but has a decent coney.  I'm not a fan of Blue Ash Chili (there is a subtle Castleman's taste to it), but they have a good coney as well.  I also would skip Price Hill and Gold Star, although I think Gold Star has a distinctive flavor difference to most others.  Dixie Chili is worth a shot, and a one of the few that have a 6-way (minced garlic).  I don't know if the proximity of Skyline to me growing up in Dayton has anything to do with it, but I still love Skyline the best.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1