Camp Washington Chili owner robbed

Author
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
2007/01/13 12:57:42 (permalink)

Camp Washington Chili owner robbed

I saw this in today's Cincinnati Enquirer. Don't know if this is actually Roadfood material but I thought I'd post it.

Police are looking for two men who robbed the owner of Camp Washington Chili around 9:50 a.m. Saturday in the National City Bank parking lot at 2927 Colerain Ave.

Two men attacked John Johnson, 69, as he got out of his car, then fled with an undisclosed amount of cash in a blue and black SUV, according to police.

No weapons were seen or used, police said. Johnson's nephew, Tom Dinas, said that the men hit Johnson in the chest and the stomach.

Camp Washington Chili, an all-night chili parlor at the corner of Colerain and Hopple, has attained national notoriety since it opened in 1940. CBS Morning News once called Johnson’s food "the best chili in the country."

Johnson has worked there since 1951, after he came to America as a 14-year-old from Greece.

Johnson was shaken up but did not need hospital care, Dinas said.

This is the first time Johnson had ever been mugged, Dinas said.

4 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    RE: Camp Washington Chili owner robbed 2007/01/13 13:13:05 (permalink)
    That's too bad. But even worse is the fact that the editors didn't know better than to allow the word notoriety to be used. Celebrity, perhaps, but unless Camp Washington's chili ended up poisoning its customers it did not gain notoriety.

And I wish Dick Vitale would stop using that word all the time, too.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Camp Washington Chili owner robbed 2007/01/13 13:30:16 (permalink)
    That's terrible! John Johnson is one of the sweetest and most thoughtful guys we have met in years of Roadfooding. T.I., thanks for posting this. I am going drop him a note.
    Tumbleweed365
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Camp Washington Chili owner robbed 2007/01/13 13:31:31 (permalink)

Bummer, he's a nice guy.

All this violence is hitting everywhere.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    RE: Camp Washington Chili owner robbed 2007/01/15 09:47:09 (permalink)
    That really is awful! Mr. Johnson is one of the nicest men I have encountered in my Roadfood travels. The last time I was in Camp Washington Chili, he pleasantly spent some time with my cousin and I answering some questions. When we told him we were from out of town and one of the main reasons we were in Cincy was to eat at his establishment, he tried to send us some more food on him. Unfortuantely, we had already ordered so much, we politely declined. After chatting for a while longer, he excused himself and came back with free t-shirts for us. A real class act!

I am just glad that he survived the attack.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1