Hot!Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where????

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6195
2014/03/02 13:28:23 (permalink)

Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where????

In the 50's of my childhood, lunch was often a sandwich and a bowl of Campbell's soup (What they call the "classic" line now) I liked whatever mom served up...Don't get me wrong ...she made super homemade soup..like her Italian wedding soup(She called it meatball soup)...but in her mind it was ok to have Campbell's for a quick lunch...Tomato and grilled cheese...Bean with bacon with crusty Italian bread...Chicken noodle,especially when we had a cold......BUT my favorite was Chicken Gumbo...just loved the taste of the broth...and I didn't care if it had some strange vegetable called Okre in it. Still today we keep some red and white cans of Campbell's in the house for quick lunches (great in winter)...but no store in my area carries Chicken Gumbo. I know from their web site it's still made, and hasn't gone the way of Pepper Pot(ugh, tripe??)...but I guess it lost out in the valuable shelf space war. Got it where you are? 
     Any fond memories of those Red and White cans? What was your favorite? Funny how "Chicken Gumbo" brings back a flood of memories of growing up in the 50's!

45 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7766
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 13:37:59 (permalink)
    When we went camping my mother would mix a can of beef vegetable with a can of chili bean.

It was served in those plastic bugs that are clear on the outside with cane sandwiched between the inside and outside layers.

I also loved the chicken gumbo.  Didn't know when I was a kid that those little balls in the soup came from okra.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 13:54:10 (permalink)
    I still love Campbell's tomato soup with toasted cheese or tuna salad sandwiches. I always use milk instead of water, though. Their cheddar cheese soup works perfectly to make Welsh rabbit. Just add some dry Coleman's mustard, some Worchestershire sauce, a little hot sauce (Cholula for me) and ladle it over toast points that have been topped with a couple of rashers of bacon and some tomato slices.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1083
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 14:11:41 (permalink)
    The one really liked was noodles and ground beef and I'm pretty sure it has been discontinued. Though if I had it now I'd probably think it was a salt bomb with mushy noodles.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10093
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 15:47:13 (permalink)
    I take a can of Campbell's Tomato and a can of Vegetable or Beef Broth, put 'em in a pot, heat 'em up and put it in a cup and you have a nice warm drink on a cool evening.
    (We don't do COLD evenings out here but it will work nicely in the Midwest & East too.)
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 16:41:24 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I still love Campbell's tomato soup with toasted cheese or tuna salad sandwiches. I always use milk instead of water, though. Their cheddar cheese soup works perfectly to make Welsh rabbit. Just add some dry Coleman's mustard, some Worchestershire sauce, a little hot sauce (Cholula for me) and ladle it over toast points that have been topped with a couple of rashers of bacon and some tomato slices.

Michael....yep...my mom made tomato soup with milk too,not water. She also made homemade croutons for it by slicing lots of toast into small squares...What fond memories!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 17:02:31 (permalink)
    I always made croutons for pea soup by slicing toast that way and then frying the squares in butter.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 17:55:29 (permalink)
    I love all of Campbell's soups, Classic or otherwise. But unfortunately, I have to watch my sodium intake now. So, when I'm shopping and read the nutrition labels on the cans sadly, I have to put them back on the shelf.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 19:07:07 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I have Campbell's tomato soup just about once or twice a week. Sometimes, I use water and sometimes I use milk. It depends on whether or not I'm craving a sharper tomatoey flavor or not.  One thing I do occasionally is put Cheezits in the tomato soup for a special treat.

Since I've been on chemo, I usually have soup at least once a day.  Tomato and chicken noodle do the best for me. I'll also eat a half-can of Campbell's chunky and Progrresso chunky soups. More than half a can and my taste buds shut down, sometimes after the first one or two bites.  Without Campbell's soup, I'd probably starve.

webeanrf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 19:39:41 (permalink)
    I grew up within smelling distance of Campbell Soup in Camden
    Chicken Gumbo has a distinct aroma...as did tomato soup. As kids we rode the ferry to Philly...thru the red skins in the Delaware River. Pretended we were Moses parting the
    Red Sea
    Picked tomatoes for a farmer who contacted with Campbell. Kind of ruined my taste for tomato soup
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/02 21:45:01 (permalink)
    how do you like your tomato soup?with water or milk ?i prefer milk.and always has to be campbells .no other kind of tomato soup for our family.

ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 967
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 08:27:50 (permalink)
    I use milk, whisked in slowly so it is nice and smooth.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 09:06:16 (permalink)
    Vegetarian Vegetable is my go-to sick day soup.  And their Manhatten Clam Chowder was my childhood introduction to chowders, I still enjoy it upon occasion as it takes me back to childhood.
    hrheachafin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 09:56:16 (permalink)
    If you can't find Chicken Gumbo soup at the supermarket you can always order from amazon.com

ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 10:07:04 (permalink)
    When I was in elementary school back in the fifties I was able to go home for lunch. I remember having Campbell's Chicken Gumbo often.  I also remember Pepper Pot, Scotch Broth and Black Bean.  Those three have been discontinued 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 12:04:55 (permalink)
    Oh I had forgotten Scotch Broth...loved that too. I also added some rice to The Chicken Gumbo,because I thought it wa too much broth!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 12:44:03 (permalink)
    I remember Campbell's Pepper Pot. I never liked it. And that was before I found out what was in it. There used to be a restaurant in New Haven -- on Dixwell Avenue -- called Gag's Pepper Pot. The Gag was for Gagliardi, but the idea of the pepper pot was enough to gag a maggot, as far as I was concerned.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 16:57:14 (permalink)
    Someone may already have said this, but why does Campbell's have to use so much salt in their chicken soup? I feel guilty giving it to my son, because one can is about 60% of his daily sodium. And he doesn't like the "healthier" version, which is also too salty.
    The Monk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 18:15:19 (permalink)
    The answer is...salt is addicting. I worked for Nabisco out of college and asked why there is so much salt on their crackers. I was told that once you get hooked on the higher salt level, everything else tastes bland. So there has been a salt escalation over the years in many products and we are hooked. Just watch a chef when he adds salt to his dishes. His "3 finger pinch" from 3 feet above a dish is more than that 1/2 teaspoon that he says is in the recipe. Besides...they can charge more for low sodium.
    So, to answer your question, salt activates our taste buds and we are hooked on a higher salt diet. Try an unsalted potato chip and you will see what I mean.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6644
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 18:39:38 (permalink)
    I don't eat canned soup.  Period.  It's nasty.  My great-grandmother, my grandmother, my mother and I always made homemade soup.  Soup is one of the easiest things to make! 
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/03 18:46:38 (permalink)
    danimal15

Someone may already have said this, but why does Campbell's have to use so much salt in their chicken soup? I feel guilty giving it to my son, because one can is about 60% of his daily sodium. And he doesn't like the "healthier" version, which is also too salty.

I have noticed the same thing with their chicken soup.  Even when you dilute it as indicated, it is still way too salty for me.  I do buy their mushroom soup and add mushrooms and pepper to it.  I turns out ok for my taste.  I occasionally try their tomato soup with a grill cheddar cheese.  Great evening dinner or lunch for me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 10:53:17 (permalink)
    lleechef I don't eat canned soup.  Period.  It's nasty.  My great-grandmother, my grandmother, my mother and I always made homemade soup.  Soup is one of the easiest things to make! 

Then why are you reading this thread?

Bart
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 11:04:45 (permalink)
    bartl
    ...and as I said,my mother made over a dozen kinds of soup homemade OFTEN(pea, lentil,Italian Wedding Chicken noodle with homemade noodles etc)...we still enjoyed Campbell's quick lunches. She loved to cook, and never made the same thing twice in a month...all from scratch...but growing up in the 50's she allowed us the red and white cans for a quick lunch...we had less than an hour when we came home from school for lunch.
    lleechef I don't eat canned soup.  Period.  It's nasty.  My great-grandmother, my grandmother, my mother and I always made homemade soup.  Soup is one of the easiest things to make! 

post edited by leethebard - 2014/03/05 11:08:23
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 842
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 11:23:18 (permalink)
    Pepper pot, Scotch broth and Black bean were my favorites as well. I miss them
    easydoesit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 495
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 15:27:58 (permalink)
    The Chicken Gumbo was a popular ingredient for lots of folks in the ground beef style Sloppy Joes that are popular in the Midwest.  I think the Gumbo may have been used more often in the South (not sure).

Just googling for "chicken gumbo sloppy joes" brings up a lot of listings.  I wonder if this link will work:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=chicken%20gumbo%20sloppy%20joes&FORM=HPNTLB&PC=HPNTDF&QS=n

Hope so.

easydoesit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 495
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 15:37:12 (permalink)
    Tomato soup is a popular theme here.  For me too.  It's kid-loving stuff, but we can "grow it up" a little with some of this and that -- chicken bouillon, ground mustard, dehydrated onions (rehydrated first), a splash of Frank's hot sauce, etc., 

And jman mentioned adding Cheezits -- they're the best!  But some Grape-Nuts can be good too.

ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 15:43:09 (permalink)
    easydoesit

Tomato soup is a popular theme here.  For me too.  It's kid-loving stuff, but we can "grow it up" a little with some of this and that -- chicken bouillon, ground mustard, dehydrated onions (rehydrated first), a splash of Frank's hot sauce, etc., 

And jman mentioned adding Cheezits -- they're the best!  But some Grape-Nuts can be good too.

Cheddar Goldfish are good as well.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 17:06:48 (permalink)
    Like I said, we sometimes added more rice to the Gumbo soup...it had so little....besides tomato, which everyone played with, did any of you doctor a Campbell's soup?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/05 17:10:51 (permalink)
    I used to mix chicken rice soup with chicken noodle, using just one can of water. It made for a nice thick soup. Damn! Now I want to do that again.
    katandmoon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Campbell's Classic Chicken Gumbo. Where???? 2014/03/09 20:41:36 (permalink)
    When I was a young kid in the late '50's/early '60's, I loved Campbell's soup. We often had Tomato (yes, made with milk), Bean with Bacon, Chicken Rice, or Chicken Noodle Soups, and I enjoyed those, but my favorites were Campbell's Split Pea Soup and Potato Soup, which were sold in the frozen foods section of the grocery store. When either of these was on the menu for lunch or dinner, I was always so impatient for that can of frozen solid soup to defrost.

Does anyone know why these varieties were sold frozen, and when Campbell's changed that? I think the Cream of Shrimp was another variety Campbell's sold that way (it was not, however, one I would consume!).

Some years later, I liked Campbell's Chicken Won Ton soup and Chili Beef (R.I.P.) Soups very much. But my favorite became Tomato Bisque. It was so rich and yummy , and I loved it so much that I could literally eat it out of the can with a spoon.

But, as with so many other prepared foods that I used to love, Campbell's Tomato Bisque Soup no longer tastes good to me. Nor does its Cream of Chicken soup, which I also used to love -- IMO, it now tastes horrible, and I wish Campbell's hadn't screwed with their recipes. Don't know if there is any connection, but I first noticed the unwelcome change to the Tomato Bisque flavor when Campbell's started selling it in pull-top cans.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread! Very interesting!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1