Camping smells in the Smokies

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
2003/07/17 20:49:34 (permalink)

Camping smells in the Smokies

I am not a camper, but very recently I was invited to a campground breakfast at Cades Cove which is one of the most beautiful sponts in the Smoky Mountain National park. there is a one way drive around the cove which often views nmny deer, wild turkey, black bear and many other forms of wildlife.

The breakfast consisted of campfire bacon, campfire fried eggs. campfire bisquits, breakfast potatoes with oinions, and bell peppers and even more than that, campfire coffee. Why is it that the smell is so much superior than home cooked same

I do not have the foggiest, but the smell around the campfire and campground was the most armomatic I have ever experinced

I like breakfast, but I consumed several times more than my norm due to the smell??

Just curious

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

8 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/17 20:56:06 (permalink)
    I agree, Paul. There is just somethihng about being around a campfire that makes everything smell great. It's funny------when I go camping I always save a leftover steak and baked potatoes from the night before to make my version of "campers hash". I've tried to make it at home-----and it never tastes as good. Can't really tell you why it is------but I agree with your point completely.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/17 21:00:56 (permalink)
    You know, the smell of coffee around the whole campground is the best I have ever smelled.

I like coffee all the time but if it was good as it smelled around the campground, I would be an addict.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/17 21:46:20 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Want the Product listing for the Airstream Travel Trailer Company ?

Roger Armitage
    Detroit Michigan
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/17 22:05:14 (permalink)
    I would say it is primal. It is the same reason that we enjoy cooking over charcoal. Plus it also helps that we usually turn the exhaust fans on in the kitchen and take all the good smells away. There is only one better than smelling the cooking of breakfast outdoors on a camping trip. That is smelling the pork in the smoker after it has been cooking all night long. Gotta stop, getting hungry!

John
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/17 22:20:05 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Think of eating as a multi-sensory experience. The sound of a steak sizzling on a platter when it is placed in front of you... The feeling of anticipation when you look at that Mayfield's Ice Cream Sundae... the smell of the coffee mixed with pine forest or whatever special outdoor odors There is a lot more than taste involved in a great eating experience.
    It really helps if you have the time prior to eating to allow all of your senses to become involved in the process. Getting ready for a Thanksgiving Feast can do that for you, if you don't get consumed by the work of preparation,,If you can watch, smell, hear, touch, and taste the coming meal before you actually sit down, the joy of the dinner will expand greatly.
    I really believe that's what you experienced in the woods.
    TANFANRN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/18 00:53:19 (permalink)
    THE MAYOR HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THAT MULTI-SENSORY TAKE ON THE PLEASURE OF ENJOYING A CAMPFIRE BREAKFAST. WE CAMP OFTEN IN THE WOODS OF UPPER-MICHIGAN AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE WAKING UP TO THE SMELL OF COFFEE, BACON AND PINE TREES. I THINK ALL THE FRESH AIR ENHANCES OUR SENSE OF SMELL AND TASTE. PASS ME A MUG OF CAMPFIRE JOE PLEASE.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/18 08:37:14 (permalink)
    First of all, everything tastes better when you're camping, and I think you're right it smells better too. My favorite camp breakfast memory involves a pair of brothers who camped with us one year at a Formula One race weekend at Watkins Glen, NY.

We cooked on the remnants of the last nights camp fire. They produced a huge cast iron skillet, and loaded it with a pound of bacon. While the bacon cooked they chopped a whole onion, and about five pounds of potatoes which was cooked in the grease...all the grease. Then they added about four eggs apiece, lots of salt and pepper. They proceeded to consume the entire thing, washing it down with a can of beer. We weren't capable of making coffee (actually many of weren't capable of much more than watching the Hefner brothers eat).
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Camping smells in the Smokies 2003/07/18 09:46:36 (permalink)
    What is even better, is when the camp dinner is cleared away, but the fire is still going strong.

Bring out the guitars, and add some Bailey's Irish Creme to my coffee please.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1