Can I earn this much selling hot dogs?

Author
avis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2006/04/22 03:01:02 (permalink)

Can I earn this much selling hot dogs?

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and am very impressed with the quality of posts I've read so far. I'm researching selling hot dogs during the weekdays and would like to know if netting $100/day is realistic?? I live in San Diego and have already checked with the county/city as far as permitting goes. I know location is crucial and haven't identified a site yet but am going to be exploring the usual high foot/vehicle traffic sites located near traffic producting sites such as bus stops, parks, office parks, etc..

19 Replies Related Threads

koloa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/22 04:59:47 (permalink)
    you get what you put into it. i know of a person who was probably making much more than 500 bucks a day selling hotdogs.
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/22 13:09:07 (permalink)
    anything , to a point is possible!!!
    here is a site and a calculator that may give you some realistic income.
    hope this helps
    http://www.thehotdogcart.com/hd_income.html

i am just about to start my hot dog cart business, may 1st.
    i hope i can net $100.00 a day, but we shall see.
    good luck!!!
    avis
    Junior Burger
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/22 14:36:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link!! Good luck on your business..
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/22 14:41:28 (permalink)
    Koloa said it best... You get out what you put in... Main thing is finding and securing a good location! Then there's that part of being consistent on your hours and product.

avis
    Junior Burger
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/22 15:26:58 (permalink)
    thanks, the www.hotdogcart.com website claims that the average income for a cart is $100k a year. I have heard other people saying about $30-$40k a year and I think I read an article somewhere about a NYC cart guy doing a pawltry $15k a year. I guess its all about location, location, location.

mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/22 15:39:09 (permalink)
    If you sold 100 dogs a day 365 day a year at $2.50 a throw you would GROSS about 100k,net depends on many things.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/26 08:42:39 (permalink)
    Has anyone ever considered a chain of hot dog stands? There are lots of Home Depot's in my area that don't have a stand. Find some guys who need a good opportunity, make them put up a security deposit, go through a training coarse, and split the net, could work!?? Anyone ever tried it?
    Joe
    refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/26 17:18:59 (permalink)
    I have written an entire business plan on this topic.

My idea was to have a commisary, and 10 carts. In my commisary people could lease a cart, by product (ice, dogs, buns, chili, cokes ect ata 10% markup) from my freezer/ refrigerator. They could operate under my umbrella and give me a flat $50 per day per cart. I would not take a % off their action as this would be sooo hard to enforce. I would make a lil off product and 50 bones a day per cart.

Get 10 of them out there and its a pretty good gig. $500 a day plus...

What area are you in? The problem is having to pay street eats or whoever some outragous rent for doing nothing...
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/27 09:11:28 (permalink)
    Refried, I am in the DFW area of north Texas. The Home Depots here might be the place to be. I am not sure whar their deal is to let you opperate? This just hit me while reading this thread, Part of my thinking is based on the idea that there are lots of good hard working folks looking for somethimg to do, but that can't come up with a big sum of money to start a busness, and who may not be able to deal with the complicactions of ownership. Avis, since this is your thread I hope this is of interest. Maybe this should be a new thread fried one?
    Joe
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/04/27 10:19:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by refrieddreams

I have written an entire business plan on this topic.

My idea was to have a commisary, and 10 carts. In my commisary people could lease a cart, by product (ice, dogs, buns, chili, cokes ect ata 10% markup) from my freezer/ refrigerator. They could operate under my umbrella and give me a flat $50 per day per cart. I would not take a % off their action as this would be sooo hard to enforce. I would make a lil off product and 50 bones a day per cart.

Get 10 of them out there and its a pretty good gig. $500 a day plus...

What area are you in? The problem is having to pay street eats or whoever some outragous rent for doing nothing...

Dont forget to calculate the cost of propane, your time filling all them tanks, the liability insurance, maint. fees (you know they'll be abusing the carts since they're not paying for them).. There's also the risk of food borne illness (improper hold temps) where someone can come back at you in the long run.. Don't mean to be the Devils Advocate, but you know what I'm saying...

refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/05/02 19:20:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info boys. I never persued it. I came up with that idea because my mom had a cart at a home depot and had someone working it for her. There are WAY too many ways for employees to rip you off so I figured a way she could still make money and not have to worry about the theft issue.

I just found an ad on CL that someone was doing this exzact idea in my town (San Diego)

Avis, I have a cart for sale in SD if you want a smoking deal!

refrieddreams05@yahoo.com
    The Ride
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/05/08 00:05:47 (permalink)
    Regarding hot dog carts. Home Depot and Lowes in North and South Carolina allowed vendors to set up at their store's. This fad grew for about two years, but like any good idea everyone got wise to it as a result Depot and Lowes started requiring outlandish lease agreements. There are now no more vendors at these locations in North and South Carolina. I have also never seen any vendors set up in Tennessee. This could also be due to city,county,and state regulations, which other established food business lobby for and support.
    refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/05/09 16:49:44 (permalink)
    They are all over in Tennessee (Nashville area)

I almost put one in front of a HD in Douth Carolina too!
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/05/18 01:51:09 (permalink)
    My sales are around 400 for an average spring weekend day at the park. The sales go up as the temp does. More drinks and shaved ice. This is taking it easy most of the day, with a few pops after kids' ball games.
    jaynie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/06/02 16:52:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by refrieddreams

Thanks for the info boys. I never persued it. I came up with that idea because my mom had a cart at a home depot and had someone working it for her. There are WAY too many ways for employees to rip you off so I figured a way she could still make money and not have to worry about the theft issue.

I just found an ad on CL that someone was doing this exzact idea in my town (San Diego)

Avis, I have a cart for sale in SD if you want a smoking deal!

refrieddreams05@yahoo.com

Hello! I was just reviewing your comments that your mother was running a hot dog cart at Home Depot. I have been trying to get information on who to contact regarding setting up a cart in their Burlington, Wa store. Can you tell me how your mom got in and how much she has to pay, how much she makes, etc? Thanks!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2006/09/04 17:02:06 (permalink)
    This is also posted in the Hot Dogs section.
    McleanBrock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2008/02/07 00:42:27 (permalink)
    Does anyone know how much those guys make standing outside of Home Depot...not just a guess like previous posts....
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2008/02/07 01:59:49 (permalink)
    there is only one sure way to find out.
    http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi
    jmwidmer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Can I earn this much selling hot dogs? 2008/02/07 11:35:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by avis

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and am very impressed with the quality of posts I've read so far. I'm researching selling hot dogs during the weekdays and would like to know if netting $100/day is realistic?? I live in San Diego and have already checked with the county/city as far as permitting goes. I know location is crucial and haven't identified a site yet but am going to be exploring the usual high foot/vehicle traffic sites located near traffic producting sites such as bus stops, parks, office parks, etc..

Avis, I was wondering if you were able to get the cart started and what you had to do to get it going? I am in San Diego as well. Thanks, Jake
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1