Can I make candy at home to sell on line?

Author
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
2006/12/15 11:39:22 (permalink)

Can I make candy at home to sell on line?

For years we have kicked around the idea of bringing one of our homemade candy recipes to market. Just start out small, have a little Currier & Ives type looking web site and packaging, all very classy and overpriced. My question is, can I make the product in my kitchen? Or what sort of kitchen would I have to set up? I'm in Minnesota.

Thanks,
Theedge

13 Replies Related Threads

bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/16 09:31:21 (permalink)
    first, i think you should think of the enormity of the process. making candy for a few folks is one thing, but creating an assembly line, packaging center, and delivery system, is huge, and requires an entire warehouse-sized building.
    you would be better off, to find an independant contractor/packaging company, to make, bake, and package your product. then, let them worry about all the little stuff...you just sell....
    otherwise, you got to deal with dept of health, dept of agriculture, fire chief inspections, zoning inspectors, labor board audits, insurance auditors, tax auditors, and on and on.....
    if your product is that great, contract it out....simple
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/16 12:27:37 (permalink)
    Yes, you can set it up in home! BUT... You'd have to have a space dedicated to the food service. You'd have to build a kitchen to the Health dept. specs (including proper storage areas, proper shelving, 3 bay sink, hand wash sink, mop sink, bathroom, all NSF approved appliances (fridge, freezer, tables, sinks, utensils)), then meet their code on everything from flooring thru lighting. And if you plan on having a stove or oven of anykind (NSF), then you'd also have to include a hood and Ansul system ($$$). If the kitchen is non existent, you'd have to start off by submitting a site plan for their approval before you even begin. Google Minnesota Health Department or Department of Agriculture... They probably have all the specs online, since this is a fairly common question.
    http://www.mda.state.mn.us/dairyfood/startingfoodbiz.pdf

IF you have land available, build something cheap and dedicate as your kitchen.. (Pic below is from www.panelconcepts.com)

sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/16 13:25:36 (permalink)
    in response to the advise above...........

Can you imagine being taken to prison in cuffs and leg irons, to spend the next 15 years of your life figuring out how you are going to pay off the $250 fine for your crime when you finally get out of jail? To make matters even worse, you discover on your first day in the big house that the guy you are sharing your cell with is a felon who has spent the last five years before you arrived working out to make his biceps look like tree trunks.

This big bruiser sits down on the bunk next to you, pats you on the head and says, “Hey sonny, what are you in for?”

The question causes your forehead to instantly explode with sweat, and before you can think, you mumble an answer to his question in a very subdued voice.

“Huh, I can’t hear you, precious,” replies the burly guy, giving the back of your hair a yank, .

You grab your throat, gasp for air, and repeat your answer louder this time, “I said I am in for making candy in my kitchen!”

Now doesn't this sound ridiculous? .............. and it is, so to answer your question " can I make the product in my kitchen? "

the answer is YES YOU CAN!..................... just ask Martha Stewart cuz that's exactly how she started.......... good luck

Let me know when your first batch is ready I want to be one of your first customers...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/17 10:02:42 (permalink)
    Frank, I agree with ya on the Martha Stewart part. Actually I've seen several shows that show people that started in their kitchen, and it looks like their regular kitchen. Do that in Michigan, and them leg irons are not out of the question. That and trying to explain to Bubba that it was only wrapped up candy that got ya locked down.. But with all these rules, the feds ought to stake out church bake sales. Could make a massive roundup, considering most the pies, cakes and cookies are cooked in private home kitchens.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/20 10:01:25 (permalink)
    Theedge... Here's an article that may be of some intrest to ya:
    http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061210/NEWS0407/612100340/1051/NEWS04
    OzDogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/21 21:49:40 (permalink)
    Theedge,

I'm sort of with the optimists. There's always another way to skin a cat. I think these people told you one way you can start. Start making your candies and send samples to all the local charities and not for profits. Tell them you can produce these for their retail. You can start selling candies right away, get your fancy packaging out there, get your brand known. I think that would be a fine way to start, don't you?

If you find the whole thing scaling up, a lot of churches and charities have inspected, commercial-grade kitchens. Does making a deal to use their facility in off-hours sound like a possibilty? I've heard of chefs renting kitchen facillities out to other chefs, and many restaurants already sub-contract for desserts. Especially chocolate mousse. I know a gal who started making just chocolate mousse at home. She'd deliver product already chilled in champaigne glasses. The chef would return her old glasses with each delivery for her to refill. It worked because nobody asked questions and nobody said anything.

Never let anybody tell you it can't be done or not to do it. The ones who told you you were crazy at the start will be the first ones telling you they always knew it would work out for you, trust me. I grew up with people who will say only one of two things: "you should have listened" and "aren't you glad you listened?" What they said at the time has nothing to do with it.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/30 08:33:42 (permalink)
    thanks for the story, uncle vic!
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2006/12/31 10:43:11 (permalink)
    Check E-Bay. There are people selling cakes and other things all the time.
    Matt
    writeitup
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2007/01/01 12:51:18 (permalink)
    There are health codes and that's that. But you really can get a partner who is set up.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2007/01/01 14:08:18 (permalink)
    Soo, how are they selling food on ebay without fallowing tha rules?
    joe
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2434
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2007/01/01 15:00:14 (permalink)
    Interesting thread! I would love to bake cookies, brownies and bars and have had requests to do so, but I have 2 cats at home and wouldn't dream of doing it out of my own kitchen. OzDogs had a good suggestion in trying out local churches or even ask local restaurants if they rent out kitchen time. Do you have anything besides money that you can barter with? My friend babysits for her acting instructor and he knock down the price of her classes, for example. The thought of buting food on ebay seems a little weird to me. If I want hard to get food, I'll but it from the company's website or go to the store if its local. How does one truly know where its been if buying on ebay?
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2007/01/01 18:12:40 (permalink)
    EBay is a multi-million if not billion dollar corporation, someone is buying something including cakes, candy, imported ham and jerkey.
    I have no idea if folks follow health guidlines, I just know it is a good place to start selling products.

Thousands of people work out of their home whether they are making candy, cookies or BBQ sauce, you have to call your local officials to figure it out. Setting aside space in your home or garage for the business will pay off in the end.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Can I make candy at home to sell on line? 2007/01/01 19:15:57 (permalink)
    Hot Dog, I am avialable in an advisery capacity. I am an avid ebay buyer and a student of net marketing.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1