The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this?

nibiru_3600

• Total Posts: 43
Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Thu, 03/11/04 10:13 PM (permalink)
http://www.notjustpopcorn.com/index1.htm

Any recipes? Anything whatsoever?

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
    RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Thu, 03/11/04 10:40 PM (permalink)
    Call me an old fogey but I like my popcorn to taste like popped corn (with butter of course), my corn chips to taste like corn, my potato chips to taste like a potato and likewise my french fries.

Every time I try one of the FLAVORED varieties, the first one tastes pretty good, the second kind of hangs in there and after the third I want to drag my tongue all over the carpet in an effort to rid myself of the taste.

Cakes

ahmicchick

• Total Posts: 107
      RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Thu, 03/11/04 11:12 PM (permalink)
      Oh My! Who knew that you could have so many varieties of popcorn flavors?

The best-in-the-world popcorn is made by my father-in-law, who grows his own popcorn. He uses bacon drippings to pop the corn, then just add salt. It's a fight to see who will get to the bowl first!

As for the flavors you've seen on the website, one way you might create some of the flavors is to sprinkleKool-Aid or other drink crystals on freshly popped corn? It's so crazy it just might work. And I know you can make caramel corn yourself, no doubt there's a recipe on the Internet somewhere... Let us know if you experiment and come up with anything noteworthy!

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
        RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Thu, 03/11/04 11:37 PM (permalink)
        About 20 years ago, there was a tiny little store in Boston, right at Downtown Crossing, that sold a huge variety of flavored popcorn. I remember that the flavors were divided into "sweet" and "savory" categories - at that time I was single and living at home, but working full time, and every Friday I would buy one sweet and one savory bag - different flavors every week - to bring home. If memory serves, the popcorn was surprisingly good, even the flavors you wouldn't expect would be.

I took a break from the city for a while and when I returned, about 2 years later, I was pretty disappointed to find the store was no longer there. However, Some of the flavors on that website look familiar - I'm wondering if maybe it's the same company, or maybe, at least, the same owners but they're doing business online now? That would be awesome.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
          RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Fri, 03/12/04 12:09 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by ahmicchick

The best-in-the-world popcorn is made by my father-in-law, who grows his own popcorn. He uses bacon drippings to pop the corn, then just add salt. It's a fight to see who will get to the bowl first!

OH GOD... anything cooked in bacon grease is divine... I may have to try this myself.

Dennis

ahmicchick

• Total Posts: 107
            RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Fri, 03/12/04 10:32 AM (permalink)
            Try this website:

http://www.popcorn.org/nutrition/recipes/index.cfm

Have you ever had Pink Elephant Popcorn? I think it's a Canadian thing, and hard to find now, but it's worth a try if you ever come across it.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
              RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Fri, 03/12/04 11:08 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by nibiru_3600

http://www.notjustpopcorn.com/index1.htm

Any recipes? Anything whatsoever?

I remember when I was just a wee kid that our local mall had a store called "The Korn Kettle". I would say that it had most of these if not all of these flavors. I never ventured past the caramel but the smell of the store was simply yummy!

nibiru_3600

• Total Posts: 43
                RE: Can anyone replicate popcorn flavors like this? Fri, 03/12/04 8:23 PM (permalink)
                Or any franchise info would be good too.

oh and thanks for the site too.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com