Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint?

Author
janine_willis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2009/12/19 20:02:11 (permalink)

Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint?

Or have y'all been holding out on me?

Never seen anything about this place on Roadfood but it was mentioned on Chowhound so I stopped by the Super Submarine Sandwich Shop in Memphis yesterday and ordered an 8" Steak & Cheese.

First and most importantly: THEY MAKE THEIR OWN BREAD! Nobody around here does that! Bread was very good and there was also some kind of sweet and tangy sauce on there. (Reminded me a little of the sweet Pancho's sauce.) The meat was decent quality. Sandwiches come dressed with lettuce and tomato and a package of the chips of your choice is included. I was able to eat about 3/4 of the sandwich and didn't touch the chips. VERY filling sandwich for a total of $5.89.

They also have Chinese food but I think the reviews on that are mixed. Would love to hear opinions of others who have been there. What sandwich should I get next.

Super Submarine Sandwich Shop in Memphis - near U of M. (On Highland, next to the "Whatever" headshop.)

13 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/19 22:38:09 (permalink)
    WE WANT PHOTOS!  Sounds good.
    janine_willis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/21 17:31:25 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

WE WANT PHOTOS!  Sounds good.

Will do!

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the day-core...there isn't any. Never a problem for us RF'ers, right? (One thing I love about RF is the lack of pretentiousness.)
    Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/21 18:46:52 (permalink)
    If it's the one I'm thinking of it's been there forever. The chinese is actually pretty good but they are known for their subs. Used to be attached to a laundromat. Beer, sandwich, clean clothes. Nice combination. It was still there when I left memphis in 1991
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/21 19:05:35 (permalink)
    Sauce, lettuce and tomatoes on a sub?
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/21 20:27:47 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman's sandwich:

...and his burger: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=559174

dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/21 22:01:14 (permalink)
    I'd like a turkey and cheese sub please with a side of steamed dumplings, some beef lo-mein, a bag of bbq potato chips and a coke!!...oh yeah pickles on the sub please!!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/21 22:09:13 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

Michael Hoffman's sandwich:

...and his burger: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=559174

You are really a perfect example of knownothingness.
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/22 08:18:40 (permalink)
    Michael HoffmanYou are really a perfect example of knownothingness.

It just seems like everytime someone mentions a meal they have all you do is or or and state how "that's not a such and such". How about a little more 's and 's? So what is your perfect burger and sub? And why must they not have produce and dressings? And is it possible that others may enjoy something that you don't?
    fatdoc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/22 09:02:05 (permalink)
    I love all of you commentators on Roadfood.  You are like a big family!  No two children are alike, opinions are from the East to the West.  You make me laugh, you make me cry.  Your words make me proud and the pi-- me off! Please don't stop.  My philosophy of eating came from my Great Grandmother who told me "the only thing that you will take to the grave is what you eat." and from my Grandmother who told me this statement that I have adopted "I will eat anything that I can catch and that includes the Devil, if I catch him first!"  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2009/12/22 10:07:11 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

It just seems like everytime someone mentions a meal they have all you do is or or and state how "that's not a such and such". How about a little more 's and 's? So what is your perfect burger and sub? And why must they not have produce and dressings? And is it possible that others may enjoy something that you don't?

What something seems like to you is of absolutely no interest to me. As long as your hobby seems to involve searching take a gander at my previous posts on the subject.

Search and learn, Grasshopper.
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2010/01/08 03:55:08 (permalink)
    River's End restaurant on the Nantahala in NC does some really good sandwiches.  They made their own bread, I'm guessing they still do since I haven't been there in a while.  Nice thick slices of fresh bread, awesome.

Rivers End

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10218
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2010/01/09 02:48:20 (permalink)
    Phoenix Magazines 2010 Dining Guide did a Front Cover Article on the 21 Best Sandwiches in the Valley as selected by their food critic staff. Here's the article:

http://www.phoenixmag.com/lifestyle/things-to-do/201001/best-sandwiches/
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    Re:Can it be possible that I've discovered a RF-worthy sandwich joint? 2010/01/09 09:44:04 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

EatingTheRoad

What something seems like to you is of absolutely no interest to me. As long as your hobby seems to involve searching take a gander at my previous posts on the subject.

Search and learn, Grasshopper.

I guess now I don't have to ask what happened to our new little buddy Eating the Road.
    He was "Hoffmanized"! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1