Can't get good scrambled eggs

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
zoetmb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2006/08/06 11:32:05 (permalink)

Can't get good scrambled eggs

I find that most restaurants no longer know the difference between fried eggs and scrambled eggs - they tend to make them both the same. And when you order eggs scrambled, no one knows how to make them french style: fluffy and wet. Most places overcook the eggs.

62 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 11:37:56 (permalink)
    Then I guess you'll have to either make your own or keep trying different restaurants.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 12:07:11 (permalink)
    If I want soft scrambled eggs I order them that way, and that's how they come.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 12:13:34 (permalink)
    I find that when I make them at home, I don't put them in a bowl first. Just throw a little BUTTER in a non-stick pan, heat up a bit and break in 3 or 4 eggs. Immediately start to stir and in a minute or so, they are perfect. Remove quickly as they will continue to cook off the heat. I like them with some fresh pico de gallo and some sliced avocado.
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 13:29:10 (permalink)
    zoetmb:

Guess I've been lucky, but I usually get pretty good scrambled eggs when I tell 'em how I want them done. In fact, my experience has been that places tend to overcook "fried" eggs more so than "scrambled."

I don't like my fried eggs with ANY brown, crispy bottom or edges.

But, like you, I prefer my scrambled eggs fluffy.

Of course, when I fix my eggs myself, they are PERFECT!
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 15:44:24 (permalink)
    I agree with zoetmb that most places greatly overcook scrambled eggs. I like mine light and fluffy and not overcooked and dry, and unlike one suggestion, the best scrambled eggs are not scrambled in the pan after cracking the eggs. Sometimes I think whipping or blending them beforehand has the effect of making good scrambled eggs. Last weekend we ate in a new restaurant in Orland Park, IL and I had two scrambled eggs. They were so light, fluffy and delicious, I would swear they were 4 scrambled eggs rather than just two. Not one hint (i.e, browned) of being burnt or overcooked. Anyway, that's the way I like my scrambled eggs.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 16:15:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BTB

I agree with zoetmb that most places greatly overcook scrambled eggs. I like mine light and fluffy and not overcooked and dry, and unlike one suggestion, the best scrambled eggs are not scrambled in the pan after cracking the eggs. Sometimes I think whipping or blending them beforehand has the effect of making good scrambled eggs. Last weekend we ate in a new restaurant in Orland Park, IL and I had two scrambled eggs. They were so light, fluffy and delicious, I would swear they were 4 scrambled eggs rather than just two. Not one hint (i.e, browned) of being burnt or overcooked. Anyway, that's the way I like my scrambled eggs.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/06 16:28:17 (permalink)
    === Sometimes I think whipping or blending them beforehand has the effect of making good scrambled eggs.===

HHHmmmm. I seem to be screwing up today. I had something to say for the last post and earlier today, I completely lost a post regarding ballpark food.
    For good scrambled eggs, you should beat them real well until you don't see any whites. Add a little water too, but not too much. Butter adds a nice flavor, but I seem to find myself using an oil sprayer that just mists the pan. You need a pan to get them right.

Regarding restaurants that can't seem to get scrambles right, I'll wager that they are trying to cook them on a flat-top griddle instead of a pan.

mark
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/08 12:21:26 (permalink)
    I whip mine up and add about a teaspoon of water to them before scrambling. This seems to make them fluffy and moist, but not watery.
    Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/09 00:42:38 (permalink)
    I add a spoonfull of sour cream or milk to the eggs. I know I've heard it makes them tough and to add water instead. I found mine are fluffy and softer with sour cream.
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/15 20:00:29 (permalink)
    quote:

Regarding restaurants that can't seem to get scrambles right, I'll wager that they are trying to cook them on a flat-top griddle instead of a pan.

mark

When I did short order, back in my misspent youth, that was how you did it. You poured the beaten eggs on the griddle, chopped them up, stirred them around and Voila! - a perfect cross between a bad omelet and bad scrambled eggs. My kids actually like it when I make "scrambled eggs" this way for them. I think that's to pay me back for some forgotten sins I may have committed in a past life. Fred
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/15 21:28:52 (permalink)
    Doggydaddy & fhoran are correct. Consistently dry scrambled eggs are the result of using a flat-top griddle to cook the eggs. The eggs spread out too much. The best way to cook eggs is in a 6" saute pan. Whip the eggs with a fork until frothy (or use a blender like the Waffle House cooks). Spray your pan with cooking spray and add some butter. Keep your fire a amedium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add your eggs, slightly tilt your pan & gently lift the cooked edges with a rubber spatula until the eggs are done. DO NOT CHOP the eggs! Instant dryness.

I am continually frustrated with dry eggs and I own a restaurant. My breakfast cooks CANNOT cook eggs in saute pans. It may be a Midwestern thing.
    It doesn't matter how much I show them or how much they practice. They just can't get the knack of it.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/15 21:46:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Doggydaddy & fhoran are correct. Consistently dry scrambled eggs are the result of using a flat-top griddle to cook the eggs. The eggs spread out too much. The best way to cook eggs is in a 6" saute pan. Whip the eggs with a fork until frothy (or use a blender like the Waffle House cooks). Spray your pan with cooking spray and add some butter. Keep your fire a amedium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add your eggs, slightly tilt your pan & gently lift the cooked edges with a rubber spatula until the eggs are done. DO NOT CHOP the eggs! Instant dryness.

I am continually frustrated with dry eggs and I own a restaurant. My breakfast cooks CANNOT cook eggs in saute pans. It may be a Midwestern thing.
    It doesn't matter how much I show them or how much they practice. They just can't get the knack of it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but they use the mixer at the Waffle House for omlets, only, not for scrambled eggs.
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/15 21:57:56 (permalink)
    I guess I only had omelets at the Waffle House so I didn't notice how they did scrambled eggs. I liked how their omelets turned out so that's how I do my personal scrambled eggs. Thanks for catching my error.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/15 22:03:10 (permalink)
    quote:

I guess I only had omelets at the Waffle House so I didn't notice how they did scrambled eggs. I liked how their omelets turned out so that's how I do my personal scrambled eggs. Thanks for catching my error.

No error. Easy to do. They scramble their eggs in 7-inch saute pans. They do their omlets in 8-inch saute pans.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/15 22:47:46 (permalink)
    I think a sign of a good diner is one that does eggs correctly. The best ones actually make a distinction between over-easy, over-medium and over hard. I really hate when I order "scrambled" and they bring a plain omelette. They are NOT the same thing.

Julia Child once did a wonderful episode on cooking eggs (as did my personal cooking hero Alton Brown). Anyone know if Julia's old PBS shows are out there on DVD?
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 07:16:27 (permalink)
    quote:

Now that method sounds more like how I cook an omelet. As it's cooking you can add herbs, cheese, meat etc. I like feta cheese, alfalfa sprouts and a little dijon mustard which is weird because I am usually more of a "the more meat, the merrier" kind of guy. When it's still wet, you do the usual "fold out onto a plate" thing. Fred
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 07:20:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pancho

I find that when I make them at home, I don't put them in a bowl first. Just throw a little BUTTER in a non-stick pan, heat up a bit and break in 3 or 4 eggs. Immediately start to stir and in a minute or so, they are perfect. Remove quickly as they will continue to cook off the heat. I like them with some fresh pico de gallo and some sliced avocado.

Pancho, first welcome aboard! Your method is how I grew up making scrambled eggs and didn't think anyone else ever did them that way. Haven't made them that way in years - they have a very different texture than ones that are whisked first in the bowl and they take a bit longer because you need to do them over fairly low heat so they scramble and don't fry. I am going to spring them on my family this weekend - thanks for the reminder! Fred
    blinky193
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 09:29:54 (permalink)
    The best and most trusting way I get good scrambled eggs is making them myself, at home. I put the eggs in a deep bowl, add milk, salt, pepper, and sometimes will season them with oregano and garlic powder. But, the trick to keeping them fluffy is to use a thunder stick to beat them, just before you put them in the skillet to cook over a medium heat. This way, there is still a lot of air in them, and that's what keeps them fluffly. I will stir them quite often too, instead of letting them lay there and cook up like you would an omelet.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 10:24:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

I think a sign of a good diner is one that does eggs correctly. The best ones actually make a distinction between over-easy, over-medium and over hard. I really hate when I order "scrambled" and they bring a plain omelette. They are NOT the same thing.

Julia Child once did a wonderful episode on cooking eggs (as did my personal cooking hero Alton Brown). Anyone know if Julia's old PBS shows are out there on DVD?

The early "French Chef" series is at least partially available on DVD. Of course WGBH will only offer it as a member premium, but you can buy it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VXMHG/103-1990042-5760613?v=glance&n=130
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 15:23:03 (permalink)
    Blinky, what's a thunder stick? Sounds like a piece of dynamite.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 15:40:18 (permalink)
    perhaps a thunder stick is an immersion mixer?
    i call mine a boat motor
    blinky193
    Hamburger
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 15:57:05 (permalink)
    Yes, a thunderstick is a one shaft hand mixer with a blade at the end of the shaft and a power button on the handle that is immersable in liquids. They can be used to rapidly beat your eggs, use them in a pot of bean soup to thicken it, etc. You can find them on line and in most kitchen shops. Most of them are called a thunderstick, so if you ask someone in a kitchen store, or type that word on-line, you'll be able to find one.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 16:54:36 (permalink)
    I just use a whisk and that keeps them fluffy. I never add salt, though. I find that salt toughens eggs as they cook.
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 19:53:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blinky193

Yes, a thunderstick is a one shaft hand mixer with a blade at the end of the shaft and a power button on the handle that is immersable in liquids. They can be used to rapidly beat your eggs, use them in a pot of bean soup to thicken it, etc. You can find them on line and in most kitchen shops. Most of them are called a thunderstick, so if you ask someone in a kitchen store, or type that word on-line, you'll be able to find one.

I was thinking about starting a new thread "So what gadget do you own and never use?" I have one of these things that someone gave me for christmas and have never opened. Does it do a better job on eggs than a whisk? I make an omelet kind of thing that I cook in the oven. Whisk til frothy a bunch of eggs and a bit of milk and add tomatoes, scallions, cheese, chopped up sausage etc. Season and bake at 400 until it rises, kind of like a souffle. When I am making a big one, a little electric help would be great but I kind of want to feel how much air the eggs have in them so don't like to use a blender. Maybe the thunder stick is the answer. Fred
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 20:03:41 (permalink)
    To quote WJ:

[|)][|)][|)], and also [|)]...

KBminihorse
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/16 20:28:24 (permalink)
    Well, I guess I'm the only one in the whole world who likes scrambled eggs browned. I cook them in butter several minutes, them stuff them in a breakfast burrito with other stuff so I can't taste them, cause I HATE eggs and that's the only way I'll eat them!
    blinky193
    Hamburger
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 08:23:49 (permalink)
    [Now that method sounds more like how I cook an omelet. As it's cooking you can add herbs, cheese, meat etc. I like feta cheese, alfalfa sprouts and a little dijon mustard which is weird because I am usually more of a 'the more meat, the merrier' kind of guy. When it's still wet, you do the usual 'fold out onto a plate' thing. Fredquote]

Fhoran......... The thunderstick will definitely put a lot of air into the scrambled eggs to make them fluffy, much more than a whisk will do. The trick is to get them in the saute pan quickly, as soon as you whip them. If you start using your thunderstick, and keep it out, you'll find you can use it on other things. When you make a glass of chocolate milk, for instance. Pour the chocolate syrup in the milk. Instead of using a spoon to stir it, try the thunderstick, it really mixes the chocolate into the milk and not much of the chocolate sits on the bottom of the glass. It's almost like drinking a malt.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 12:30:40 (permalink)
    I like my scrambled eggs brown, and my fried eggs over hard with broken yolk and crisp on the edges.

But let's talk omelets. I'm partial to mushroom omelets, and recently had one where uncooked canned mushrooms were just added to the top of the cooked omelet, and then the omelet was folded over. I also had one where the mushrooms were at least sauteed, but again were just folded into an already cooked omelet.

I think that way is wrong. I like it when the veggies or meat are sauteed in the pan first, then the beaten eggs are added, so the fillings are mixed into the body of the omelet. Just wondering what others think.
    citizenconn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 17:58:54 (permalink)
    For me, the key to making fluffy eggs is to whip them well with a flat whisk and cook them over low heat in a well buttered 6-8" omelet pan. And, don't stir them as much as flip/shake the pan away from you to get them cooked evenly. The only utensil I use is one of those soft silicon spoonulas.

Sometimes I turn the heat up higher first and get the butter a nice nutty brown and then lower the heat to cook them. It really changes the flavor. I always wait and salt my eggs with Maldon sea salt just before I remove them from the pan. Just my 2 cents worth. Oh, kinda trendy, but Chardonnay sea salt tastes very good and unique on scrambled eggs as well.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1