Canada Day

Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
2009/07/01 13:09:20 (permalink)

Canada Day

The NYTimes OpEd page in  whimsical article reminds us that today is Canada Day - something like our 4th of July. 

In honor of our Canadian friends, and especially those Roadfood Canadians, I plan to have a shot or two or three of Canadian Whiskey at the cocktail hour this afternoon instead of (or maybe in addition to) my usual Martini. We have some CC in the liquor cabinet (actually a shelf in our pantry), but I think I'll look in the local liquor stores for some Harwoods - a brand I used to favor many many years ago.

So, "Here's to Canada, long shall she be our good neighbor".

Cheers, John  

26 Replies Related Threads

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 14:03:00 (permalink)
    I'll raise a Molson's, or three,  to our good northern neighbors!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 15:18:26 (permalink)
    One of my ancestor's tried to drink Canada dry---died of a strange liver ailment long before his time.

John-----my younger brother hit 80 recently and I will be up to Kingston to take him and his Mrs out to celebrate----where would you suggest-----he lives in Woodstock and I figure Kingston should be pretty good, but anywhere around there would be OK.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 20:49:35 (permalink)
    OHHHHH   I thought you labeled the thread "Canada Dry" ...and was all set to describe the Ginger Ale and Tahitian Treat.

Sorry didn't mean to interupt your Polar Bear Parade !!!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 21:02:41 (permalink)
    seafarer john

The NYTimes OpEd page in  whimsical article reminds us that today is Canada Day - something like our 4th of July. 

In honor of our Canadian friends, and especially those Roadfood Canadians, I plan to have a shot or two or three of Canadian Whiskey at the cocktail hour this afternoon instead of (or maybe in addition to) my usual Martini. We have some CC in the liquor cabinet (actually a shelf in our pantry), but I think I'll look in the local liquor stores for some Harwoods - a brand I used to favor many many years ago.

So, "Here's to Canada, long shall she be our good neighbor".

Cheers, John  

brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 21:30:35 (permalink)
    Its a shem they had to complicate the bordser situation.  We went to the Falls in 99 on our Honeymoon.  My wife loves it there.  If there was any way she would have loed to able to spend her Golden years living there.  I considered goping again a feww years back but after all the red atpe and expenses it tokk the fun out of it.  Last time we bought a bus ticket in Cincinnatti and never even had my ID looked at!
    Its a shame that Uncle thinks you should pay for the "priviilage" of a passport.  Since its a required ID it should be provided to all just like a social security card!
    Tip one for our neighbors there!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 22:00:36 (permalink)
    Canucks to mark Canada Day with a beer by the grill: Survey

By JENNY YUEN, SUN MEDIA
    1st July 2009

On Canada's 142nd birthday, it's all about the two Bs: Beer and barbecues.

A national Nanos Research survey for Moosehead Breweries found that about 50% of Ontario residents will be knocking back a cold one or two at a barbecue today.

Only 5%, meanwhile, will be skinny dipping.

"We usually celebrate with a barbecue with relatives," said Pamela Williamson, 57, who has decorated her Elmer Ave. home with a half dozen Canadian flags and an Ontario flag.

"I think every true Canadian should celebrate Canada Day."

The survey, which polled 1,004 Canadians in June, also found that only 7.1% of Canadians plan on going commando, compared to 23.6% who prefer briefs and 22.4% who lean toward boxers.

At St. Lawrence Market yesterday, most people agreed with the idea of grilling veggies and burgers.

Cynthia Quirion, 34, and Jula Vacchino, 28, said they were heading up to Uxbridge for a dip in the pool (with red bikinis on) and volleyball.

"Where are those commando people hanging out?" said a laughing Julia Vacchino, of Stouffville.

And even one guy said he'd wear a thong.

"Maybe just for Canada Day," said Wade Kelly, 26, who was visiting Toronto from Edmonton.

Kelly and friend Phil Paschke, 28, planned to travel to Parliament Hill in Ottawa for today's fireworks show.

"Usually we try to see fireworks in the evening, hang out with friends and toss around a frisbee, depending on the weather," Kelly said.

The maple leaf is considered the original symbol of Canada by 62%, but only 2.4% see the term "Eh?" as symbolic of their country, according to the poll.

Country singer Shania Twain was voted by men who participated in the survey as the sexiest Canuck export.

"How come Celine Dion's not on the list?" Vacchino said. "But I'd agree with Shania. She's gorgeous. For symbols, I'd agree with the maple leaf, but they should add Tim Hortons, too."

Because some firework displays were cancelled because of the city workers strike, some people will head down to Ontario Place, where the show will go on in the night sky.

"We see them from the top of our condo," said Liz Henriques, 41.

"We have our Canada flag out and (my daughter and I) usually paint our nails red and white with little maple leafs on it. We also put maple leaf tattoos on our cheeks."

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/07/01/9989916-sun.html

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 22:06:17 (permalink)
    A good Canadian internet friend sent me this today; all in fun:

CANADIAN.... Eh !
    So, What Do We Canadians Have To Be Proud Of ?
    1. Smarties
    2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp
    3. The size of our footballs fields, one less down, and bigger balls.
    4. Baseball is Canadian - First game June 4, 1838 - Ingersoll , Ont.
    5. Lacrosse is Canadian
    6. Hockey is Canadian
    7. Basketball is Canadian
    8. Apple pie is Canadian
    9. Mr. Dress-up beats Mr. Rogers
    10.Tim Hortons beats Dunkin' Donuts
    11. In the war of 1812, started by America , Canadians pushed the Americans back past their White House. Then we burned it, and most of Washington .. We got bored because they ran away. Then, we came home and partied........ Go figure.
    12.Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany .
    13.We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. EVER. (We got clobbered in the odd battle but. prevailed in ALL the wars)
    14.Our civil war was fought in a bar and lasted a little over an hour.
    15.The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, he slept in and missed the whole thing. He showed up just in time to get caught.
    16.A Canadian invented Standard Time.
    17.The Hudson's Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the world's oldest company.
    18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.
    (That's more information than I need!)
    19.We know what to do with the parts of a buffalo.
    20.We don't marry our kin-folk.
    21.We invented skidoos, jet-skis, Velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis and the telephone. Also short wave radios that save countless lives each year.
    22.We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.
    23.A Canadian invented Superman.
    24.We have coloured money.
    25.Our beer advertisements kick ass {Incidentally...so does our beer}
    BUT MOST IMPORTANT !
    The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 22:32:51 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

A good Canadian internet friend sent me this today; all in fun:

CANADIAN.... Eh !
    So, What Do We Canadians Have To Be Proud Of ?
    1. Smarties
    2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp
    3. The size of our footballs fields, one less down, and bigger balls.
    4. Baseball is Canadian - First game June 4, 1838 - Ingersoll , Ont.
    5. Lacrosse is Canadian
    6. Hockey is Canadian
    7. Basketball is Canadian
    8. Apple pie is Canadian
    9. Mr. Dress-up beats Mr. Rogers
    10.Tim Hortons beats Dunkin' Donuts
    11. In the war of 1812, started by America , Canadians pushed the Americans back past their White House. Then we burned it, and most of Washington .. We got bored because they ran away. Then, we came home and partied........ Go figure.
    12.Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany .
    13.We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. EVER. (We got clobbered in the odd battle but. prevailed in ALL the wars)
    14.Our civil war was fought in a bar and lasted a little over an hour.
    15.The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, he slept in and missed the whole thing. He showed up just in time to get caught.
    16.A Canadian invented Standard Time.
    17.The Hudson's Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the world's oldest company.
    18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.
    (That's more information than I need!)
    19.We know what to do with the parts of a buffalo.
    20.We don't marry our kin-folk.
    21.We invented skidoos, jet-skis, Velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis and the telephone. Also short wave radios that save countless lives each year.
    22.We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.
    23.A Canadian invented Superman.
    24.We have coloured money.
    25.Our beer advertisements kick ass {Incidentally...so does our beer}
    BUT MOST IMPORTANT !
    The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on.

..and it is the home country of:

ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 23:02:27 (permalink)
    #5 is wrong It's from the  Iroqoius nation a new york tribe. but you did give us Neil Young
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 23:31:29 (permalink)
    Well we had our first Canada Day experience today, pancake breakfast at the legion, followed by a parade and car show.  Free concerts, fireworks, outdoor movie screenings tonight.  Pretty cool to see considering nothing like that happens back home and most of us end up working St Pat's Day!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/01 23:35:00 (permalink)
    http://splashnewsonline.celebuzz.com/2009/07/happy-canada-day.html?bfm_index=2&bfm_page=0

In honor of Canada Day, we're giving you the top seven Canadian stars of all time. 

1. Baywatch blondie Pam Anderson wasn't born near the beach, but in British Columbia.   

2. Family Ties' Michael J. Fox was born in Edmonton and lived in Vancouver until he was eighteen before moving stateside.

3.  Dan Akroyd, originally from Ottawa, made it big with [style="color: blue ! important; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-weight: 400; font-size: 12px; position: static;"]Saturday Night Live, The Blues Brothers and [style="color: blue ! important; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-weight: 400; font-size: 12px; position: static;"]Ghostbusters

4.  Celine Dion's killer pipes have helped the Quebec native sell over 200 million albums worldwide.

5.  Toronto born Jim Carey has proved comedy has no boarders. 

6.  [style="color: blue ! important; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-weight: 400; font-size: 12px; position: static;"]Shania Twain doesn't have that typical southern drawl, the country star was born and raised in Ontario. 

7. [style="color: blue ! important; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; font-weight: 400; font-size: 12px; position: static;"]Mike Myers plays everything from a bumbling British secret agent to an ogre with a hefty Scottish brogue--but he was actually born in Ontario.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 10:16:42 (permalink)
    I think the Canadiens must have invented BS also. 
    Ay........

I meet a lot of Canadians during the winter months---they come here to warm up, get some good food, but especially to take advantage of our health care program -----who is responsible for that monsterous system of yours ---it isn't on your list?????  That may be changing though, some folks in Washington are jealous of it.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 11:53:45 (permalink)
    Up here folks sneak over the border to get their health care. Maybe it all balances out.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 13:39:30 (permalink)
    Ancient One: You might want to stay in Woodstock. The Bear Cafe in Bearsvlle (part of Woodstock) has a very good reputation - upscale.

Joshua's on the main drag in Woodstock has been around forever and is still pretty good -moderate prices.

Woodstock is loaded with restaurants  as is nearby Saugerties. The Cafe Tamayo is a famous upscale place in Saugerties, but there's a whole lot of others there from Dallas Hot Wieners to Sushi joints.

Winchell's Pizza and BBQ in nearby Shokan has unusual pizza's in a pretty grundgy setting. I'm not sure the Hickory BBQ, also in Shokan, is still open - their pork was OK,but the brisket is to be avoided.

Not too far to the west of Woodstock is Mt Tremper and Phoenecia. I have not eaten at any of these but they are well recommended: Margo's Hungarian Restaurant, Catskill Rose (upscale), and La Duchese Anne (very upscale). Even further west if you'd like a nice ride in the Catskills is the Foresthaus German restaurant in Olivera - we were there a few years ago and it was quite good. Also on Rt 28 near Phoenecia is the "World's Largest Kaliedoscope " with its associated Spotted Dog cafe, a hot dog and hamburger joint - also picnic tables if you want to bring a picnic lunch. The Kldscope is worth a visit - you walk inside the instrument and lie on the floor while psychedelic lights and figures swirl all around - great for children of our age as well as youngsters.

In Kingston for an inexpensive  steak or seafood  the Bowery Dugout is always fun and lively. Cosimo's Brick Oven Pizza is one of a local chain with upscale pizzas - very good, in my opinion. Coyote Cafe and Armidillo are two Tex Mex restaurants in the Roundout area of Kingston down by the Hudson River - both OK if you like it hot. Right at the intersection of the Rondout Creek and the Hudson River is the Steelhouse Steak restaurant (moderately upscale) and next door is our favorite Mexican Restaurant - Rosita's  - pleasant seating on an outdoor waterside patio on a nice day. Another steakhouse and brewery is the Skytop just outside Kingston on the road to Woodstock - havn't been there in many years but it used to be very good. The Rondout area is worth a visit - if you have time a two or three hour Hudson River cruise leaves from a dock there and there are a dozen restaurants to choose from - Guido's Mariner's Harbor is good for a light meal or sandwich and has a lively bar crowd - also outside patio seating in nice weather. The Hudson River Maritime Museum is also worth a visit. 

Cheers, John 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 16:09:17 (permalink)
    I am afraid the days of us cutting across Ontario from Port Huron/Sarnia to Ni-Falls/Buffalo are over. We used to do it as a pleasant alternative to I-90 thru Cleveland etc.  But we have not tried to complete whatever the paperwork is needed for the permits to enter and exit now. I do not have a passport.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 17:09:56 (permalink)
    Even before 9/11 the American Customs and Immigration facilities on the border were a pain in the ass - officious, humorless, overbearing, and somehow threatening.
    By contrast, the Canadians were welcoming, relaxed, friendly, and never a problem for the average tourist.

I'll never forget our arrival from Nova Scotia via the overnight ferry at Portland, ME. We were traveling in two cars, me and the two teen age boys with our luggage in one car and Gail and her 85 year old mother in the other car. The boys and I were admitted back into the U.S. with the usual hassle, but no search. Gail and Mom , their car loaded with the boys scuba gear, golf clubs, etc. were forced to unload the car and submit to a thorough search. I mean, of course, two ladies traveling with scuba gear would be suspicious and even possibly dangerous to American morals and safety ...

Cheers, John 

Cheers, John 
    poutine
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 18:33:39 (permalink)
    Aw you guys are so sweet..I was just reading the local paper and some American guy was ranting about how Americans don't give a rats ass about Canada (or Canadians) and most don't even know where we are (?)...nice to stumble on this thread. I will raise a glass on the 4th in honour or should I say in honor of you all. Thanks for making my day.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 19:47:09 (permalink)
    Not to rain on your parade, Poontang (U.S. translation of your name, will mean something to the Vets among us !!!) BUT, Does the BC in your address refer to Baja California ??   

I really am sorry about the bad humor, but I couldn't resist!! 

post edited by mayor al - 2009/07/02 19:49:35
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 20:29:29 (permalink)
    Al:I was all ready to accuse you of being a dirty old man, but I went to my dictionary and, sure enough, the one is a possible derivative of the other...

Cheers, John  
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/02 21:45:42 (permalink)
    Well, Al, got to admit that without consulting a dictionary, I am still laughing at your translation... remember, my father-in-law is visiting, and he is a vet( and taught me that word!)
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/03 10:37:24 (permalink)
    Thanks John---when it comes to the Hudson Valley there ain't none better than the Saltiest Salt on the River.

Ann ---watch out what you learn from fathers-in-law and especially old Vets----day shu is the wurstest !!!!!

Mayor------Poontang was a small Island off the coast of Borneo if I am not mistaken, probably destroyed in one of the battles of WWII----------and BC comes after a date in history that Old Seafarer John remembers well.  No relation to BS which is what Canadians are noted for. Ay. 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/03 12:17:23 (permalink)
    I do hope that I have been forgiven for my lack of couth in the recent post.  I remind everyone tha my absolute favorite movie depicting life in Canada is "STRANGE BREW" the Mckenzie Brothers classic !! Nothing could describe life there better than they did !!!

I hope all you in the "Great White North" had a wonderful 'Canada Day' Celebration.  We have had a glorius week here in the Ohio Valley. Temps in the 70's and low 80's and pleasant as can be.  Looks like some summer Thunderboomers may interupt some of the festivities tomorrow. We will keep our fingers crossed and our fuses dry !!
    post edited by mayor al - 2009/07/03 12:21:10
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/03 22:35:50 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Even before 9/11 the American Customs and Immigration facilities on the border were a pain in the ass - officious, humorless, overbearing, and somehow threatening.
    By contrast, the Canadians were welcoming, relaxed, friendly, and never a problem for the average tourist.

I'll never forget our arrival from Nova Scotia via the overnight ferry at Portland, ME. We were traveling in two cars, me and the two teen age boys with our luggage in one car and Gail and her 85 year old mother in the other car. The boys and I were admitted back into the U.S. with the usual hassle, but no search. Gail and Mom , their car loaded with the boys scuba gear, golf clubs, etc. were forced to unload the car and submit to a thorough search. I mean, of course, two ladies traveling with scuba gear would be suspicious and even possibly dangerous to American morals and safety ...

Cheers, John 

Cheers, John 

US Customs & Immigration a "pain in the ass"?  I never though they were. 

Of course, in the Falls, many of them were teachers working an extra job in the summer.  Since both of my parents were teachers, I never had a problem.

I remember crossing the Whirlpool Bridge one summer night in '72, about 3:00 AM after spending the evening at the Stones concert at Maple Leaf Gardens - my buddies were sure we'd get hassled because of our hair and being somewhat , ahem, mellow, but when the Immigration guy saw me in the car, all he said was "Does your mom know you're out this late?" - I said "Yes, Mr Haggerty" - he taught at the same high school as my mom, snd waved us through.

I know how to spell my name in Canadian, too - it has a zed in it.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/04 10:55:36 (permalink)
    Can't figure out how to add a "zed" to Niagara.
    harleytexas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Canada Day 2009/07/08 03:57:41 (permalink)
    I had to be with the convicts down here in Texas, but I did talk with the other Canadian, a convict on Canada Day
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1