Canadian Popsicles, are they different?

Author
the bestimho
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/10/03 02:31:18 (permalink)

Canadian Popsicles, are they different?

I was on vacation in Canada this year and had a very strange encounter with a chocolate 2 stick popsicle. It was outrageous!!! I have never seen one in the USA and it made me wonder why? Of course chocolate being the #1 flavor there is. Remember this was NOT a fudgsicle. Made by Breyers it had a very strong chocolate flavor. Also common everywhere I went where grape and Banana and Root Beer which also had a great quality to them and texture. All I ever find is Cherry and lots of multi flavors here in the US. Can someone from Canada or America enlighten me as to why these are not available here? Has anyone ever seen a chocolate 2 stick popsicle before? this is my first post and I have many candy stories to share and will be posting from time to time.

9 Replies Related Threads

dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/03 07:04:35 (permalink)
    Interesting. Growing up in southern NH, a French-Canadian-influenced area, we had banana and rootbeer popsicles all the time. I'm not sure I remember chocolate popsicles specifically, but somehow it rings a tiny bell...
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/03 09:27:30 (permalink)
    As a kid here in NJ, I distinctly remember root beer and vanilla Popsicles--they were great!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/03 10:38:02 (permalink)
    The chocolate twin pop is not available in the US.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/03 10:48:25 (permalink)
    I remember chocolate, root beer and bananna when I was a kid growing up in Connecticut.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/03 10:56:45 (permalink)
    We still get the double banana popsicles. They are available in most of the stores. To get grape, you have to get a package consisting of grape, cherry and orange though. The bananas are my favorites. I'v e never seen a double chocolate one either.
    the bestimho
    Junior Burger
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/03 11:40:31 (permalink)
    Any idea to the logic behind the no chocolate popsicle as far as the manufacturer would be? Imagine if they stopped making cherry Jello?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/05 00:56:25 (permalink)
    My Brooklyn childhood was sprinkled with Fudgesicles (Fudgicles, as we said). These were "milky" chocolate popsicles and dee-licious. Just like "frozen hot chocolate", to mix metaphors. Of course we had root beer & cola too (at least in cups, if not sticks)

Is this what you mean or is the Canadian version just chocolate and ice, no "milk"?
    the bestimho
    Junior Burger
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/05 02:26:21 (permalink)

A popsicle is not a fudgesicle. A popsicle says popsicle on the wrapping and has two sticks. There is nothing fudgy tasting about a Canadian popsicle in any way. It just tastes amazing, maybe its the water up there!! I wish I could find some sort of reference this is all I found.
    http://www.unilever.ca/products/index.asp?navLev=4&PCateId=7&NavId=44

quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

My Brooklyn childhood was sprinkled with Fudgesicles (Fudgicles, as we said). These were "milky" chocolate popsicles and dee-licious. Just like "frozen hot chocolate", to mix metaphors. Of course we had root beer & cola too (at least in cups, if not sticks)

Is this what you mean or is the Canadian version just chocolate and ice, no "milk"?
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Canadian Popsicles, are they different? 2005/10/05 06:22:39 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Back in the 1960's at my elementary school in the shenandoah valley of virginia, we could buy ice cream after lunch. The 2-stick popsicle was a favorite because we could buy one and break it in half and share it with a friend. Not everyone back then could afford such a small treat. They offered chocolate, root beer, bananas, as well as cherry, orange and grape. I loved the root beer and bananas. The strange thing was that in local grocery stores and gas stations, they never offered root beer or bananas. Now you can find only the cherry, orange, and grape in grocery stores, and always together, never just a box of cherry by itself, etc.. I have found at Wal-mart bananas pops. And all are single stick. And bestimho is right, chocolate popsicles were never like fudgesicles, though all I can find now are fudgesicles and no chocolate popsicles.
    Take care, and share your 2-stick popsicle with a friend in need of some sweetness,
    Fieldthistle
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1