Canary Island food - use of Paprika

Author
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2008/06/28 17:21:26 (permalink)

Canary Island food - use of Paprika

Paprika is a New World product, i.e., the powder of a sweet red (sometimes green) pepper.

The Canary Islands are part of Spain.

Columbus sailed for the Spanish Crown and returned to Europe from an early trip to the New World with peppers, including paprika.

How quickly did various traditional Spanish recipes adopt paprika as an ingredient, and especially the food of the Cannary Islands?

I'm interested in dates and not just Spanish recipes that use paprika.

2 Replies Related Threads

HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Canary Island food - use of Paprika 2008/06/30 12:11:48 (permalink)
    You might try to Google it.I'm not really sure when the Spanish
    started using paprika.The City of San Antonio,Tx was founded by families from the Canary Islands.I'll check and see if there is a website about them,and any recipes.Most of the cooking around here really sin't spanish, it's texmex,and any very ancient recipes
    from the islands most likely have been altered over the centuries.
    When I think of paprika,I think of the country of Hungary, the homeland of my mom's parents who came here in 1919-1920,right after the First World War.The paprika grown in Hungary is world famous and many dishes use it.
    I'm not sure how much the spanish use the spice.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Canary Island food - use of Paprika 2008/07/01 07:33:52 (permalink)
    There is an interesting cookbook, The Tex Mex Cookbook, by Walsh that gives history as well as recipes. In it is a recipe for "Tangia - Berber Chili / aka / traditional Morrocan bachelors stew" consisting of meat (in this case lamb), onion, black peper, cumin, and paprika (chile). It is said to be from the Canary Islands and is given a an antecedent to chili.

Aside from the definition of paprika as a chile which to me is exceptional, most of the Algerian - Berber - Morrocan stews and tangines I find by GOOGLING have vegetables and even fruit. Some use paprika and some do not. I can believe that people with a Canary Island heritage made something like Walsch describes at some point but I wonder if it was after they arrived in the New World which would make it something other than "traditional," IMO.

There are articles on line that say the use of paprika spread rapidly in the Mediterrean basis after it was recognized as a foodstuff and not an ornamental. It is easy for me to imagine that traders carried paprika around the African coast or that Columbus left seeds or plants in the Canaries on his way home.

But I wonder when paprika began to be used by Spanish people living in any part of the country. I'm not sure that the recipe Walsh gives is not phantasy.

Next time I go to the library I see if they have Wolfert's Cous-Cous. Any light you can shed is appreciated.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1