Cannolis in Boston

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2464
2006/11/20 00:45:57 (permalink)

Cannolis in Boston

I went to Mike's Pastry in the North End a while back and had the best cannoli I've ever tasted!! I usually split my visits between Mike's and the Modern as I love them both. The cannoli I had at Mike's was a ricotta cream filling, but the deal closer for me was the shell. It wasn't a typical crispy fried/baked shell, but one made with nuts and honey and possibly (nougatine?) I couldn't believe how good it was! I almost walked into traffic I was so into it. Has anyone else tried one of these from Mike's or know what I'm referring to? I tried to look it up on their website, but came up with nothing referring to the one I had had.

9 Replies Related Threads

Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 914
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/11/20 13:36:55 (permalink)
    The nougatine is torrone.
    Mike's Pastry must know really know their stuff. Making torrone is not easy ... and making cannoli shells from torrone would be even more complicated.
    Torrone is used in Italian pastry making - cakes and other pastries and confections . It sounds perfect for cannoli shells ... I've never had one like that - but it sounds wonderful.
    I love the stuff... and on a ricotta cannoli! ...< bites hand >
    billyboy
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/11/20 22:53:51 (permalink)
    I've had my share of torrone, but I don't think that was it around the cannoli. Shoot! I wish I had a picture of the cannoli I ate because its hard to describe. The shell was made almost solely from crushed nuts. Have you ever bought torrone and heated it in the microwave for 5-10 secs. So warm, soft, and good!
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/11/21 00:58:45 (permalink)
    right on there BillyBoy,right on !!................ Mike's Pastry is the very best for your cannoli anywhere!! period. but first lets walk across the street and have 2 slices of the best pizza in New England at Galleria Umberto then back to Mike's for those cannolis and a rich cappuccino. Linda and I think that Mike's and Umberto's are the only two reason we'll drive of the freeway and into downtown Boston......... At times we'll do a drive-by, Linda will jump out of the van as I double-park and she'll come flying back with the little pink box full of cannolis. Once back in the van we'll head for Essex, eat at Woodmans and have our cannolis there.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/11/21 07:08:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

I went to Mike's Pastry in the North End a while back and had the best cannoli I've ever tasted!! I usually split my visits between Mike's and the Modern as I love them both. The cannoli I had at Mike's was a ricotta cream filling, but the deal closer for me was the shell.

Do you have to ask for the ricotta filling? I never knew they made cannolis any other way, and went to Mike's a few years back and got one with some kind of custard or whipped cream filling. I thought it was awful as it was not at all what I know as a cannoli, so I never returned. Perhaps I just didn't order the right thing.
    billyboy
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/11/25 22:59:11 (permalink)
    Hey Tony, I don't think so. I thought the custard was an alternate filling, but maybe not. If you go back, definitely get the ricotta filling. Mmmm good!!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/11/26 08:31:47 (permalink)
    I spend a lot of time in the No. End of Boston, do most of my meat shopping there, my tailor is there and my barber, and I frequent many of the other shops and restarants as well.

As to this ongoing debate about cannoli, well they are all good. They have to be with so much local compitition. Mikes and Modern pastry get the lions share of the business due to location on the main drag, Hanover St. But, at the begining or entrance of that area is a real jewel in the rough Maria's. This little bakery has it all. It might not have the glitz and glamor or size of Mikes but their pastry is some of the best. The people who run this place went thru so many hard times during the 10 years of the big dig. With many other area businesses closing down due to road closeings and street detours they they remained open thru it all.

This wasn't an easy feat, but due to a loyal local clientel they are still turning out a great product. They are only one quarter of the size of Mikes, and only one or two people behind the counter when busy, but the service is unmatched. So for a really great cannoli, the next time you vist the No. End try Marias, you won't be dissapointed. By the way their Italian cookies and biscottis are equally as good. Chow Jim
    CuzinVinny
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/12/21 02:18:50 (permalink)
    Boy, that cannoli description you gave sounds virtually identical to another (though almost completely unknown in America) Sicilian pastry, one that is called "Ciarduna". I actually put up a post asking where I might have been able to find a recipe for it, and only two results popped up. One recipe was very old and roughly translated to English, which called for a ricotta filling while the other, more literary recipe featured a basic custard to be used as a filling. See my post in the International Cuisine section, and you will find two links to a recipe. The much older one was originally the one I found, and though I printed it I found it to be almost impossible to follow. The more "modern" recipe is so far the only other printed one anybody will ever find, and it must have been recently created since I had never seen it before.
    If you ever wish to give this recipe a try, click on the link in my blog in the International Cuisine Forum.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/12/21 12:04:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    CuzinVinny Posted - 12/21/2006 : 02:18:50
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you ever wish to give this recipe a try, click on the link in my blog in the International Cuisine Forum.

helloooooooo . Vinny Bachagalupe where do I find your blog?
    CuzinVinny
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Cannolis in Boston 2006/12/21 12:13:55 (permalink)
    Go to the International Food Forum.. you will see a blog entitled "Ciarduna Recipe??". Click on either of the links sent to me for recipes.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1