Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin

Author
bonniecopeland
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2008/10/13 18:14:05 (permalink)

Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin

We have several Garmins and have NEVER been able to use Roadfood with them. In fact, we just bought and nstalled the newest version of Garmin software, and STILL can't use it!

Our Garmims will not accept either of the file types that you offer for Garmin, .csv or .xml. We CAN use .gpx, but your version of GPX is xml.

We are going from LA to El Paso in about a week, and would like to use your waypoints in either our Garmin 76C or with our Garmin Mapsource on our portable computer.

Please help!

15 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/13 19:04:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bonniecopeland

We have several Garmins and have NEVER been able to use Roadfood with them. In fact, we just bought and nstalled the newest version of Garmin software, and STILL can't use it!

Our Garmims will not accept either of the file types that you offer for Garmin, .csv or .xml. We CAN use .gpx, but your version of GPX is xml.

We are going from LA to El Paso in about a week, and would like to use your waypoints in either our Garmin 76C or with our Garmin Mapsource on our portable computer.

Please help!

See if this helps.

http://www.poi-factory.com/faq/garmin-poi-loader

I know I had to load a piece of software to my computer that allowed or converted to the proper file type.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/13 19:22:39 (permalink)
    If anyone has help for a Tom Tom I would like it. I have three Tom Toms and none work for roadfood.

Thanks...Russ
    bonniecopeland
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/13 19:35:36 (permalink)
    We downloaded the POI finder and tried again. Still didn't work. Tomorrow we'll try calling Garmin's help line.

This is a real shame...$19.95 a year for a product that doesn't work the way it's supposed to AND, unless I'm missing something, NO customer help email address or link on the website!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2124
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 01:35:37 (permalink)
    There is a "contact us" link on every page of the web site - I suggest you use it or the forums if you have any questions. We don't always respond immediately, because we travel quite often for our work. Thanks!
    bonniecopeland
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 11:59:17 (permalink)
    I DID find the contact link on the regular website "display" pages. It's in blue at the bottom. However, I didn't think to go back to the regular web pages while I was writing for help in the Forum...and I couldn't find the contact link on the Forum page.

I still can't, and we still haven't been able to get the Garmins to work...but we're still trying!

Are there specific Garmin models with which your software DOES work? If so, what are they? Perhaps we have one in our collection.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 12:20:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bonniecopeland

I DID find the contact link on the regular website "display" pages. It's in blue at the bottom. However, I didn't think to go back to the regular web pages while I was writing for help in the Forum...and I couldn't find the contact link on the Forum page.

I still can't, and we still haven't been able to get the Garmins to work...but we're still trying!

Are there specific Garmin models with which your software DOES work? If so, what are they? Perhaps we have one in our collection.

I have gotten it to work on several nuvi models. Have you ever been able to download POI files on the 76C? My understanding is that that model is primarily a marine unit and I know from working with a few marine GPS plotters that the types of files they use to save and transfer waypoints and such are different from the ones I loaded to my and other nuvi units. I am sure you searched as well, but I have not found any tutorials on how to load POI files onto that model.

As to your laptop model, I am not familiar with that. I have used DeLorme's laptop GPS software, and was never able to figure out how to load my own POI files. I could enter them one at a time, but never in one big file load.

Not much help...sorry!

Just to add...these are the instructions I followed, and all worked fine.

http://www.gps-poi-us.com/files/Instructions-Garmin.pdf
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 15:59:11 (permalink)
    Tony, which Nuvi have you loaded the RF POI file into?
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 16:33:21 (permalink)
    I have a nuvi 680 and the Garmin poi loader software I use is free and available from this page....

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00540-00

And I have the RF poi loaded. Be specific about the make & MODEL you have when you ask for advise; it makes a difference.

Russ, you may want to look at poi-factory as well. They are not manufacturer specific and are very helpful and have MANY free poi files in different formats.

http://www.poi-factory.com/
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 16:51:24 (permalink)
    Bonnie:
    The GPSMAP76C is a hand held and a different 'breed' of GPS normally used in vehicles. It does not appear to support the typical automotive type GPS poi files which are generally nothing more than csv or the newer xml files. You can attach your GPS to a computer and using Mapsource you can maintain 'waypoints' but I am unfamiliar with that process. I don't know of mapsource can 'digest' poi files and output what you want for your GPS. Poi factory may have someone familiar with your plight. Your GPS only has about 115mb of memory and is about 3 years old. It is a very different device from a current (or even 1 year old) nuvi from Garmin.
    rhpenland
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 16:52:11 (permalink)
    I use a Garmin Nuvi 350 and have had no problems with the csv file. Hopefully the folks at Garmin can shed some light on why its not working for you.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/16 20:36:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

I have loaded them onto my nuvi350 and nuvi250 we bought as a gift, and a friends nuvi760 (I think that was model). The process was the same for each. Also loaded them onto my cousin's Magellan, but I cannot recall model or process.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/17 05:09:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

I have loaded them onto my nuvi350 and nuvi250 we bought as a gift, and a friends nuvi760 (I think that was model). The process was the same for each. Also loaded them onto my cousin's Magellan, but I cannot recall model or process.

Thanks. I'm probably going to buy a 760, so that is good to know.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2008/10/17 08:10:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Thanks. I'm probably going to buy a 760, so that is good to know.

Just use these instructions...

http://www.gps-poi-us.com/files/Instructions-Garmin.pdf

They are the ones I used when I worked on the Nuvi.

Kreeger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2009/06/16 15:03:34 (permalink)
    Just use these instructions... http://www.gps-poi-us.com/files/Instructions-Garmin.pdf They are the ones I used when I worked on the Nuvi.

I followed the instructions from the link above and it worked. Just point to folder you created, not the file inside, and it should work.
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Cannot download Roadfood to Garmin 2009/06/17 06:38:42 (permalink)

My cross country travels have been marred by my Garmin listing restaurants in the next states, but not the one I am in.
    When I was in NYC, I was told that Pepe's was 70 miles away.
    Driving through Penn thru Ohio and farther listed places in Wash., DC. Driving to Texas, it wasn't until I passed it did I discover Doe's Eat's Place was 100 miles behind me.

Here in Austin, I have listings for NOLA. I suspect that hooking it up to a computer will fix it, but I think I threw the cord out in the move.

mark
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1