Can't get good scrambled eggs

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 18:13:00 (permalink)
Cook my eggs fluffy and wet, you get them back. Wet eggs are gagacious to me. Dry and brown, my idea of perfect scrambled eggs. And fer gawds sake, don't cook them in butter either. Blech. Cook them in a little pig fat. Or chorizo grease.
citizenconn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 18:52:14 (permalink)
I like my eggs cooked in bacon grease or sausage grease the best personally. And I agree with you, I like my scrambled eggs brown and crispy on the edges especially if I'm making migas or breakfast tacos. But the wife prefers them the way I indicated above.

Just about everyone I cook for likes them different so I've learned to be versatile.

quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Cook my eggs fluffy and wet, you get them back. Wet eggs are gagacious to me. Dry and brown, my idea of perfect scrambled eggs. And fer gawds sake, don't cook them in butter either. Blech. Cook them in a little pig fat. Or chorizo grease.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 19:05:49 (permalink)
Mmmmmmmm, migas.....
fhoran
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 20:24:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by citizenconn

I like my eggs cooked in bacon grease or sausage grease the best personally. And I agree with you, I like my scrambled eggs brown and crispy on the edges especially if I'm making migas or breakfast tacos. But the wife prefers them the way I indicated above.

Just about everyone I cook for likes them different so I've learned to be versatile.

quote:

Citizen, welcome aboard. Right on! Cooking any kind of eggs in bacon or sausage grease is the only way to go (well, maybe not softboiled, but that's another thread). Fred
citizenconn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 21:53:54 (permalink)
So not only do I now keep notes on the different bacons that I buy and consume like I'm some bacon sociologist, but I also keep track of how good food tastes cooked in their grease. I'm messed up, huh?

One of the best I've found so far for eggs is the grease from a jalapeno bacon I get at my local HEB. The bacon is so-so, but eggs cooked in the grease are especially zippy!
quote:

Citizen, welcome aboard. Right on! Cooking any kind of eggs in bacon or sausage grease is the only way to go (well, maybe not softboiled, but that's another thread). Fred
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/17 23:34:12 (permalink)
Before all the food regulations came about, I kept a cup of bacon grease on my stove forever!!!And this was in the late 70s.I always cooked my eggs in that and never got sick.What a wonderful flavor.And then my father-in-law would come over and make biscuits with the same grease....best I ever had!!!!!!!!!
mrc2u
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/18 12:40:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Before all the food regulations came about, I kept a cup of bacon grease on my stove forever!!!And this was in the late 70s.I always cooked my eggs in that and never got sick.What a wonderful flavor.And then my father-in-law would come over and make biscuits with the same grease....best I ever had!!!!!!!!!

I still keep a coffee can of bacon grease to cook with, eggs and chili especially... i do keep it in the fridge tho. just easier to spoon it out and keep clean
mrc2u
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/18 12:41:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I like my scrambled eggs brown, and my fried eggs over hard with broken yolk and crisp on the edges.

But let's talk omelets. I'm partial to mushroom omelets, and recently had one where uncooked canned mushrooms were just added to the top of the cooked omelet, and then the omelet was folded over. I also had one where the mushrooms were at least sauteed, but again were just folded into an already cooked omelet.

I think that way is wrong. I like it when the veggies or meat are sauteed in the pan first, then the beaten eggs are added, so the fillings are mixed into the body of the omelet. Just wondering what others think.

I agree 100% i always saute my veggies and meat in a little butter than add the eggs in. Only thing that goes in the middle is the cheese and any fresh veggies (tomato).
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/18 12:57:04 (permalink)
Thanks for reminding me-shall resume keeping grease in the fridge...
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/18 20:47:17 (permalink)
Try a batch of cornbread made with bacon grease. That's how my Alabammy grandmammy used to do it, gooooood. Also a dollop of it in a batch of stewed tomatoes. Bacon grease does not get thrown out around this house.
fhoran
Cheeseburger
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/19 19:12:12 (permalink)
quote:

Try a batch of cornbread made with bacon grease. That's how my Alabammy grandmammy used to do it, gooooood. Also a dollop of it in a batch of stewed tomatoes. Bacon grease does not get thrown out around this house.

Oh, Oh, cornbread made with bacon grease! My kids love my cornbread. My cornbread is really boring!! I hate it (well, "hate" is kind of strong but it really is pretty horribly vomitrocious). Corn and bacon fat is a natural. I am on it!! Thanks EC. Fred
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/19 20:03:27 (permalink)
I have two quart sized containers of bacon drippings in my freezer. That & cold buttermilk are staples in my cornbread. As far as omelets go, I prefer the eggs not to be infused with any of the fillings; which in my case are varied.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/19 21:03:22 (permalink)
Fred, the problem with what I told you is: how much she used. I can't remember and she's long passed on along with my Momma and Aunt. So I did a little research for you and came up with an average recipe:

1 1/2 cups self rising cornmeal mix, I suggest Martha White's if you can get it
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk or sweet milk if that's what you have, but Grammie always used buttermilk
Sugar, salt, pepper to taste
3 tablespoons bacon grease

Mix meal, flour, pepper, salt and sugar. Add milk to dry ingredients with egg and bacon grease. Stir well. Stir in cracklings, if desired. If mixture is too thick, add more milk. Batter should be a little thin. Bake in bacon greased pan (preferably a black iron skillet) at 425º. The sugar and bacon grease makes it brown and crunchy.

NOTE: The amount of bacon grease is the same if you use a ready made mix (blech) or if you make it from scratch. The recipe above is put together from a few sources and is the closest sounding to what my Grammie made.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/19 21:10:55 (permalink)
You have made a believer out of me!!!!!!
fhoran
Cheeseburger
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/20 08:33:28 (permalink)
quote:

Fred, the problem with what I told you is: how much she used. I can't remember and she's long passed on along with my Momma and Aunt. So I did a little research for you and came up with an average recipe:

Thanks so much EC. It's on the menu for next Sunday's breakfast. Fred
sinkiller
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/23 11:28:06 (permalink)
I prefer Club Soda to water in the beaten eggs.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/26 16:52:11 (permalink)
I usually get an omolet if ordering eggs at a restaurant. I dont like plain scrambled eggs preferring scrambled with cheese and that really seems to throw most breakfast cooks... I do NOT mean a pile of scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese draped over it!!

At home I use an immersion mixer (boat motor)add a teaspoon of water per egg and a couple dashes of hotsauce, I purposly pull the mixer to the top and tilt it to add air until the mixture is doubled in size, then into a hot pan with either bacon or sausage grease (depends on which I just cooked) I add the cheese immediately and get to stirring... same procedure for an omolet except no stirring
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/26 17:08:06 (permalink)
when we lived in jersey, a short order cook called
the scrambled eggs and cheese"carolina style"
i have no idea why..
fhoran
Cheeseburger
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2006/08/29 22:15:18 (permalink)
Went to visit my sainted mother with my brother and my wife and kids this weekend. Were going to try the cornbread recipe from enginecapt but my daughter threatened to hold her breath until all the red states turned blue if we couldn't have Entemann's Danish pastry and being the sniveling, not-enough-courage kind of parents who can't stand their ground with a whiny 15 year old, we decided to go with that. Since, however, this is about scrambled eggs, we usually make them with cheese, fresh dill, sauteed onions and fresh tomatoes because my sainted mother likes them like that (can't stand up to her either - she may be 82 but a feisty 82). Didn't have any fresh dill so used fresh rosemary, which was a first. Was pretty good too. Fred
MsDiPesto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/02 18:42:29 (permalink)
Most people cook scrambled eggs too fast on high heat, thus the dried out result. I've heard of places using a double boiler to make proper scrambled eggs, and last week I attempted to make decent scrambled eggs. I used my "thunderstick" to whip the eggs, and added some half and half. I kept the heat down nice and low, took my time, and they were the best scrambled eggs I've made.
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/03 12:53:49 (permalink)
One key to cooking scramble eggs is to stop cooking them before they look done, whether using low, medium, or high heat, and getting them quickly out of the pan on onto the plates. As Alton Brown said on his TV show on the subject, " . . . if they look like they're done in the pan, you can be sure they will be dry, overdone or burnt when you get them to the plate" . . . or something like that . . .
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 352
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/03 17:32:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MsDiPesto

Most people cook scrambled eggs too fast on high heat, thus the dried out result. I've heard of places using a double boiler to make proper scrambled eggs, and last week I attempted to make decent scrambled eggs. I used my "thunderstick" to whip the eggs, and added some half and half. I kept the heat down nice and low, took my time, and they were the best scrambled eggs I've made.

i've done this as well, it's the best technique for keeping the eggs soft and moist without being runny. bacon grease or butter for flavor, but in a double-boiler fat generally isn't needed to prevent sticking.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/04 09:50:32 (permalink)
Per other posters, cook your eggs to a soft scrambled state under medium heat and quickly put on your serving plate. They will continue to cook and I believe you will find them to be delicious.... BUT only if you serve them with a big 'ole bowl of hot buttered grits and some country link sausage and/or country ham. Buttermilk biscuits with REAL butter and strawberry jam are optional (NOT...)
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/05 11:43:15 (permalink)
In England, They cook their scrambeled eggs in small saucepans, the English make great Breakfasts, IMHO!
ChopChop
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/15 12:48:25 (permalink)
I think part of the problem when dining out for breakfast is that many restaurants cook your scrambled eggs on a grill. They cook too fast and flat. A good plate of scrambled eggs needs to be cooked in a skillet first and foremost. Milk, sour cream, butter or no butter it is still a challenge to create fluffy, pillowy, moist scrambled eggs on a flat grill.
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/15 13:57:04 (permalink)
For really good scrambled eggs , cook them in a double boiler over simmering water.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/16 20:54:28 (permalink)
Pigiron mentioned Julia Childs method for perfect scrambled eggs- I 1st learned her method either from TV show or book 20 ish years ago and have basically followed it ever since- roughly what many have said- slow,low heat, beaten with a splash of ice water and cream(MILK, HALF AND HALF)and left alone in buttered (well)til it sets in pan, heavy-cast iron,calphalon etc(i think she said copper is best).
Then gently fold outside to center and lightly fold over a few times-its like a custard and as someone said- it will cook a little more while you plate it and pour your coffee(Peets Aged Sumatra for me)-toast me some kick ass bread or a sesame bagel and UM UM UM -weeekend breakfast is served! Mrs Child added a little fine herbs(chive, tarragon,thyme, parsley etc) occassionally but Im good as is.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18338
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/16 21:29:27 (permalink)
I don't know about all this stuff. I beat my eggs with a little milk and pour them into a non-stick skillet with a little butter (or sometimes even some release agent) and move them around in the pan till they begin to set and that's it. They're done, they're light, they're fluffy and they're delicious.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/17 02:32:53 (permalink)
I scramble the eggs in the pan. just butter in the pan and eggs go in whole. There are white bits and yellow bits. They're fairly fluffy and I get them out of the pan before they're 100% done so that they aren't dry. no complaints so far.

(I prescramble the eggs in a bowl so that there's no white bits when I'm making an omelette.)

Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs 2007/03/17 14:13:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't know about all this stuff. I beat my eggs with a little milk and pour them into a non-stick skillet with a little butter (or sometimes even some release agent) and move them around in the pan till they begin to set and that's it. They're done, they're light, they're fluffy and they're delicious.

Michael-thats basically what I do but the splash of cold water I think gives it some fluff and lightness. Its really about the freshness of the eggs-those are always the best tasting-In Maine when vacationing we get excellent fresh brown eggs from varios neighbors with roadside "stands"- free standing cupboards by street where you pay by honor system $2/dozen-it works and is a real treat to this big city boy!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1