Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT

Author
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
2004/07/09 11:56:21 (permalink)

Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT

I recently had dogs at Capitol Lunch, Storrs, CT. It is a branch of the Capitol Lunch in New Britain, CT. The bun was steamed, the dog had a good snap, the Cappy's Sauce (a spicey meat chili sauce) was similar to the dogs of my youth.

6 Replies Related Threads

daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT 2004/07/09 19:06:14 (permalink)
    I'm pleased to learn of Capitol Lunch's new branch joint! I am a native of New Britain, but now live in New York City. Every time I go back to my hometown, I make a trip to Capitol Lunch to get the best hot dog in the world! Has anyone else been there? The hot dog is a Martin Rosol brand, still made locally in New Britain. The buns are always fresh and locally baked too! As for the famous sauce, all I can say is "often imitated, never duplicated!" Sure, people claim that other dogs and sauces are better, but I'll stick with what I have loved for over thirty years! I've tried every hot dog in New York and Chicago, but give me New Britain, Connecticut please!
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2326
    RE: Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT 2004/08/30 08:08:10 (permalink)
    I had to take my daughter back to Uconn this past Friday. I didn't have time to go around checking out hot dog joints, but was able to eat at the Capitol Lunch on the way home after all the work was done since it's on the main road going to and from the college. Thanks to these posts I was made aware of it's existence and kept my eyes open looking for it. Otherwise I would have driven right by.

The dogs were a beef/pork blend from Rosol's as mentioned. A decent dog, but I like the Millers dog at Super Duper Weenie, the Rosco's dog, and Grote & Weigel a little better. They use yellow French's mustard (I prefer spicy brown) and have very good homemade condiments. A tasty pepper relish, meaty Cappy's chili, and another kind of spicier chili with peppers and beans which I liked better than the Cappy sauce. Only $1.70 for a dog with chili or relish. I also had a hamburger which was very good, maybe even better than the dogs. All in all a fun place that I will be going to again next time I'm in Storrs.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT 2004/08/30 17:08:57 (permalink)
    I have to agree with John Fox on this one.

I made my maiden voyage to Capitol Lunch in New Britain on my way to Rosco's on Saturday afternoon.

I ordered 2 dogs : 1 with the works (French's mustard, onion, chili meat sauce) + relish; mustard only for the other.

The dogs were 5 inches long, and must be about 12 to a lb.
    Good snap on the grilled pork/beef dog, but I was disappointed considering the build-up from posts I've read on this site.

I'm sure that I'll go back again the next time I'm in New Britain, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT 2004/09/01 13:20:47 (permalink)
    I like Rosco's best but I prefer Capital Lunch to Blackies. I may be barking at a sacred cow er dog but I found Blackies the tables were dirty, the dog uninspiring and the relish tasteless.
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT 2004/09/01 13:31:03 (permalink)
    waltpii, I agree that Blackie's isn't one of the best dogs in CT. I prefer many other joints over them, but their relish has such a unique flavor, it's really the only reason I go there.
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Capitol Lunch - Storrs CT 2004/09/01 14:00:29 (permalink)
    How about desert at the U Conn dairy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1