Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/05/17 07:43:11 (permalink)

Carbon Footprint & Save the planet?

I like this article a lot."
"A Great Meal Tops Good Intentions"  
THEY are two of the world’s most acclaimed chefs, each with a raft of awards, a constellation of stars and schools of kitchen alumni spreading their gospel. So when the American chef Thomas Keller and Andoni Luis Aduriz of Spain sat down last week for a joint interview, they were in a position to back each other up while slicing through some of the profession’s favorite platitudes.
Enlarge This Image

Chang W. Lee/The New York Times Andoni Luis Aduriz

Enlarge This Image

Chang W. Lee/The New York Times Thomas Keller

Supporting local agriculture and food traditions? Far too narrow a goal, they said.
Chefs’ obligation to help save the planet? A lofty idea, they agreed, but the priority is creating great, brilliant food.

“With the relatively small number of people I feed, is it really my responsibility to worry about carbon footprint?” Mr. Keller asked. “The world’s governments should be worrying about carbon footprint.”

The two men were at Per Se, Mr. Keller’s New York restaurant, as part of the kickoff for Mr. Aduriz’s first English-language book, “Mugaritz: A Natural Science of Cooking,” for which Mr. Keller wrote a foreword.

Mr. Aduriz is one of the figures — including René Redzepi of Noma in Copenhagen, Ferran Adrià in Catalonia and Mr. Keller — who have ambitious young chefs around the world hanging on their every word.

http://www.nytimes.com/20...&YM_MID=%60mmid%60

10 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 07:58:37 (permalink)
    Appreciate the article, but talk about out of context questions to ask a Chef...carbon footprint..save the planet..what a laugh, stupid questions and totally worthless use of a good Chef's time for interview.   
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 08:10:58 (permalink)
    Oh I don't agree. How many chefs are in the news media every day talking about those things? Lots of them, and I always wonder why they aren't speaking to their food instead of catch phrases about environmental topics, in the food industry.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 08:42:29 (permalink)
    I take your point, perhaps I missed the point of the article from that context.  What gets my goat is the way all this green xxit is used as media hype when you all in the US consume more processed and over packaged food than anyone else on the planet, and on top that you have some of the worst obesity and death rates on the planet.  How can you all continue to ignore what's is killing your own society and focus on all this green bs....your killing yourselves with what you consume, not what is or is not green!

Sorry for the rant again, but it really bugs me that so many of you have rose colored glasses on when it comes to your diet, yet have all this passion about the environment...it just does not make sense to me.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 08:46:06 (permalink)
    You you you who?

We are not all obese.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 09:02:28 (permalink)
    RodBangkok I take your point, perhaps I missed the point of the article from that context.  What gets my goat is the way all this green xxit is used as media hype when you all in the US consume more processed and over packaged food than anyone else on the planet, and on top that you have some of the worst obesity and death rates on the planet.  How can you all continue to ignore what's is killing your own society and focus on all this green bs....your killing yourselves with what you consume, not what is or is not green!

Sorry for the rant again, but it really bugs me that so many of you have rose colored glasses on when it comes to your diet, yet have all this passion about the environment...it just does not make sense to me.

That's interesting and frankly I never thought of it that way. Now (LOL) I'll be watching the news when they cover that topic or topics and be checking the size/girth of the protesters/activist.  And yes we may consume more processed and over packaged food than anyone else on the planet, but that is because more people in this country can afford the convenience of those items. The health effects or ill effects are in my mind questionable. I say that because in today's news coffee is good for you and in past studies it was a no-no. It has now gone the way of wine, and beer, both were bad for you and now both ok. The key word in all things is moderation.

Coffee Addicts Rejoice! It’s Good for You

http://www.thefiscaltimes...ood-for-You.aspx#page1

Coffee Linked to Lower Death Risk

http://www.medpagetoday.c...re/DietNutrition/32724
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 12:16:01 (permalink)

RodBangkok

I take your point, perhaps I missed the point of the article from that context.  What gets my goat is the way all this green xxit is used as media hype when you all in the US consume more processed and over packaged food than anyone else on the planet, and on top that you have some of the worst obesity and death rates on the planet.  How can you all continue to ignore what's is killing your own society and focus on all this green bs....your killing yourselves with what you consume, not what is or is not green!

I really don't like the generalization that all americans eat ****. I understand that's not really what you're saying, but it's close. The way I see it... Chefs like Keller are aware of that problem and don't eat that kind of stuff. They don't feed that kind of stuff to anybody either. Me personally... my diet consists of mostly Rice, Beans, Quinoa, Eggs, Chicken and fresh Vegetables. I can't remember the last time I opened a can or even saw a Kraft single. Every other chef I know eats healthy too. I don't really know any fat chefs, and I know a lot of chefs. The general "Foodie" population is the same way too. They tend to eat only the real stuff. And the "Foodie" population seems to be getting stronger and stronger all the time. I also see the same types of people that drive Prius' and talk all "Green"... Hippies, tend to be "Foodies" as well. 
    The only real kinds of people, I see, who are eating processed foods are the types that don't care about food. Fortunately for me, I don't really know too many people like this. Unfortunately, I do know this makes up a large percentage of our population. I'm glad I don't see that.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/17 13:02:49 (permalink)
    The core of the article between-the-lines is really about the back to "nature" over what is thought of as the "science" sector...Molecular Gastronomy. Many Chefs dislike the attention and acclaim that MG gets and maybe either NYT was baiting or does not understand the somewhat friendly battle.

It's a philosophy related to ingredients and technique...not a crusade to save the planet.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/17 13:06:32
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4059
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/18 10:05:18 (permalink)
    Like all mammals, I have a horrid carbon footprint:  I exhale CO2 without relent.  What should I do? 

And those whales!  Why are we trying to save those environment killers? 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/19 01:23:50 (permalink)
    Don't be concerned!
    It'll all be over 12/21/12!
    Signed,
    A Mayan Chieftain
    Like me on Facebook

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/19 01:27:49
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Carbon Footprint & Save the planet? 2012/05/19 09:27:51 (permalink)
    Last time the world was going to end a giant rainbow appeared here right at 6pm. When my Sister saw it (35 miles away) my Brother-in-law said to call me. If I see it...it means trouble.

http://njrereport.com/ind...ekend-open-discussion/

I've been good ever since then.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/19 09:32:47
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1