Carbone's in Crabtree, PA

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
2009/09/25 10:22:39 (permalink)

Carbone's in Crabtree, PA

So, where in the heck is Crabtree PA? Near Greensburg. Actually, on Rt 119, inbetween Rts 22 and 30, close to 22. My dad and I went to visit my brother who is in the hospital (he's sick, but getting better); on the way, we passed Carbone's, and Dad said, "If we're going to eat on the way home, there's where we want to do it."

Carbone's, since 1938. That's a long time for a restaurant. Dad knows Carbone's because he used to take Mom there when they were dating, in the late 40s. My mom went to college with Natalie Carbone, and when we walked, in, who did we meet but... Natalie Carbone!

Dad, with Natalie:

See grandma there? Nice lady, huh. Here's a fun fact about Natalie Carbone Mangini:

"Co-owner, Natalie Carbone Mangini, was the first woman atomic scientist hired at Westinghouse's Bettis Atomic Power Division. She worked on the Nautilus which was the first atomic submarine."

Very impressive, Mrs Mangini.

Anyhow... this is going to be old Italian, not Mediterranean cuisine. And so we started.

I ordered an appetizer of sauteed hot peppers with Asiago cheese; dang, this was good. It is exactly what it is, nothing more and nothing less; sauteed hot peppers with Asiago cheese. Be prepared. Hot means, HOT. But it's that Italian pepper hot, all up front without the sustain of the Caribbean and Mexican peppers.

I loved this. Absolutely loved it. I ate as much of it as I could (vegetables are good for you!) and had the rest as a filling for my omelet this morning for breakfast.

I ordered the sampler. I like it when I get this option! The sampler is spaghettini, lasagna, one cheese and one meat ravioli, and gnocci... here it is as served, and then tossed up a little to show the food.

Operating from left to right,

The meatball was pretty good, more meat and less egg/bread. The spaghettini was a little bland. The lasagna was excellent, a traditional lasagna of cheese, sauce, and noodles, no meat.

The beef ravioli; man, excellent. iIt was HUGE, I thought it was a second, smaller slice of lasagna under the sauce! (It is behind the lasagna on the plate.) Very tasty! A bit sweet, I'd say this was veal, but that's a guess. The cheese ravioli was equally delicious, Not as tall as the meat rav. The gnoccis were also pretty good, very light and fluffy, not starchy at all (like some can be). The sauce over the gnocci  was also different, a marinara rather than a meat sauce; it was satisfyingly sweet and savory. The meat sauce that covered most of the dish is without question mid 20th century; it's that all day simmered Italian sauce that just tastes wonderful! It is not very spicy, but more savory and a little sweet.

Fun Fact #2:

"Natalie Mangini Stefanick, co-owner, manager, and chef, graduated from the CIA, the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York."

Aha... Old, but not uninformed. Simple, but not plain. The secret to all good Italian.

Carbone's personality is warm and comforting. It is old, and familiar. It is a line drawn in time, from then to now. And make no mistake about it; that line is overt, and intentional:

Really, you have to love a place like this. Recommended for all travelers on Rt 22 going toward or away from Pittsburgh, to the east.

post edited by Mosca - 2009/09/25 12:21:26

14 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10225
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 10:34:54 (permalink)

"Co-owner, Natalie Carbone Mangini, was the first woman atomic scientist hired at Westinghouse's Bettis Atomic Power Division. She worked on the Nautilus which was the first atomic submarine." 

Do you really think it is a good idea that Jerome Bettis has his own nuclear submarine? " />

Thanks for the excellent report, Mosca.  This looks like my kind of place and I've never even heard of it before.  Next time out that way for sure.

Continued recovery for your brother, too!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 12:14:30 (permalink)
    Hey Mosca,

All my best to your brother.

Now why couldn't you show me a place like this while my Daughter was going to PITT?  Looks like a great place with great history and great food.

BB, I though he said Jerome was working on his own Natulis Machine.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 12:19:32 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Do you really think it is a good idea that Jerome Bettis has his own nuclear submarine? " />

Thanks for the excellent report, Mosca.  This looks like my kind of place and I've never even heard of it before.  Next time out that way for sure.

Continued recovery for your brother, too!

Thanks, Cliff. Jim is doing a little better. He might be going home this weekend. He still has issues, but he's out of danger, for now.

Believe me when I say, I was thinking, "I KNOW buffetbuster is going to want to try this place!"

I think if Bettis had a sub he would use it to torpedo Rashard Mendenhall and Willie Parker, based on his recent writings. And I can't say as I'd blame him. But I'm surprised to see him following the crowd, rather than looking inside the game to give us a better perspective on what's happening. Lord knows he has enough inside connections and knowledge to do that. I thought his report last week was lazy.

post edited by Mosca - 2009/09/25 12:22:54
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 13:29:51 (permalink)
    Mosca-
    As always, thanks for thinking of me!

JoeRogo-
    Looking at Bettis now, I don't think he has come anywhere near a gym or gym equipment since he retired!
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 652
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 13:34:21 (permalink)
    Excellent post Mosca.

I don't get up to Pittsburgh near as much as I used to and when there, we often go to Persichetti's in Jeanette. 

Carbone's sounds similar and isn't all that far away (there's a Meadow's Frozen Custard I've been to in Greensburg).  I look forward to trying it next time up.

http://www.boorah.com/restaurants/PA/jeannette/persichettis-restaurant-and-lounge/A22CF3CF79.html
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 13:39:18 (permalink)
    eruby-
    I used to visit Jeannette often for work and I noticed they have quite a few Italian restaurants.  Didn't get to try nearly enough of them.  Don't get that way very often now, but still appreciate the tip on Persichetti's.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 652
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 13:51:43 (permalink)
    That whole area seems to be rife with great Italian.  STILL haven't made it to LoBello's (though I've been to the 'penny candy' store near there).

Another great spot is Palace Lunch in Hermine.  A couple told us about it while we were on line at Persichetti's.  Open like 7am-2pm, with huge (and excellent) breakfasts and often a line to get in.  Had this couple not told us about it, we'd never had known. .
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 17:57:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Rog, too; I was writing while you were posting, didn't see you there the first time through. Rest assured, I thought about you, too! IMO the closest analog we have here is maybe Perugino's. Dad thinks Carbone's is better, I think they're just different. But he eats at Perugino's pretty often, so ha would know better than I would, I eat there once every couple years. We go to Pasquale's or King's usually.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/25 18:22:12 (permalink)
    Mosca

Thanks Rog, too; I was writing while you were posting, didn't see you there the first time through. Rest assured, I thought about you, too! IMO the closest analog we have here is maybe Perugino's. Dad thinks Carbone's is better, I think they're just different. But he eats at Perugino's pretty often, so ha would know better than I would, I eat there once every couple years. We go to Pasquale's or King's usually.

Perugino's....Andy's or Tony's?

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/26 09:39:42 (permalink)
    Mosca -- your father has a great tee shirt on ---I understand your daughter is
    at ND, good for her----I am sure she will do well and make her dad and grand-dad proud. 

As for that other great Irishman Jerome Bettis, he is just filling out that massive frame. 

I love the post Mosca, that is a great old Italian Restaurnt, the kind I loved in my
    "yout" ---now I would need a bottle of Tums with the last course.  Great lady also-
    from the Nautilus to the kitchen-----how about that.  By the way I visited the
    Nautilus a few weeks ago-----a little bigger and better than our WW2 boats.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/26 09:49:51 (permalink)
    Rog; Andy's in Luzerne. I thought Tony's closed? I dunno, I'm probably wrong.

Mariner; Yep, my daughter's out there as a freshman. She's doing great, she got a 95 on her first calculus exam (said the proud father). She's doing well and seems to be making friends and enjoying herself; she isn't homesick, so that's a good sign.

To find out more about Natalie Carbone, google "Natalie Carbone Mangini". She is a most fascinating woman. I am pleased to have met her, even if only for a moment.
    post edited by Mosca - 2009/09/26 09:53:19
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/09/30 22:56:33 (permalink)
    I got a nice email from Natalie Stefanick this evening! I hope she doesn't mind my sharing...

Hi,
    My name is Natalie Stefanick, and my family owns Carbone's Restaurant.  My mother is Natalie Mangini, whom you met at the restaurant.  I want to thank you for the wonderful write-up you did of our restaurant.  It't a struggle these days to stay in business with the economy, staffing and competition from chains.  The whole family really appreciates all of the kind things you said about us.  My Mom was really tickled.  Thank you again, and we hope you'll stop by soon.  Remember, "Friends don't let friends eat at chains!" [ital and bold added]
    Natalie

OK, Now everyone beat feet to Carbone's!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/10/01 08:06:02 (permalink)
    Very nice Mosca,  Carbone's just went to the top of my to do list.

Natalie, we live by the same creed!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Carbone's in Crabtree Twp, PA 2009/10/01 08:20:29 (permalink)
        I wish that I lived close enough to go there tonight!    I hope that every person on Roadfood that is thinking about going out to eat this weekend remembers what she wrote!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1