Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 386
2008/04/19 01:09:07 (permalink)

Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike

I'll be heading across PA a couple times in the coming weeks. I remember from years ago there was a row of restaurants very close to the Carlisle exit of the PA Turnpike, before you get into the heart of Carlisle. Can anyone tell me if any of the places that are there now are worth stopping at? Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    RE: Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike 2008/04/19 02:55:49 (permalink)
    Checkout:
    http://www.chamberdata.cc/ccao/wc.dll?Mem~CatList~&Org=pacar&BusId=2885&MemId=1999&Page=P
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike 2008/04/19 09:33:36 (permalink)
    Carlisle is a neat little college town, so I would take a few minutes and forgo the turnpike restaurants and venture into town.

I've only been there a few times, but the Gingerbread Man -there are G-Men in the Harisburg area - is good college bar for a drink and a snack.

http://alpha.dickinson.edu/carlisle/gmanmenu.html

angel92
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike 2008/04/21 12:58:01 (permalink)
    Little John's on York Road near the Army War College. It's worth driving into Carlisle for.
    Drewmcdan1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike 2008/04/21 22:16:57 (permalink)
    I think you may be thinking of what the locals derisively refer to as the "Miracle Mile" on RT 11 that is between the PA Turnpike and I-81 that is basically all chains or truck stops. Any independents on this stretch of road you want to avoid.

Little John's, while not close to the PA Turnpike was a good recommendation, but has been shut down for over a month. Not sure what happened, but it will be missed.

Getting off the PA turnpike, and heading towards Carlisle, you've got several choices. There is a Hoss' Steakhouse real close. Some people like it, I don't. Further down the road, before town, is Sunnyside, which is more like finer dining, then some Mexican places that are pretty good. In downtown Carlisle, I really like the Market Cross Pub, which is styled as an English Pub and they have their own beers. But it's about 10 minutes from the PA Turnpike to downtown Carlisle.

If you're looking for something a little quicker, from the PA turnpike, head towards I-81 on the Miracle Mile, and go past I-81 about another 3/4 of mile to the Middlesex Diner, which will be on your left. I've written about it in previous posts and I think others have stopped and written about it, so you may want to do a search. We were in there two weeks ago for dinner and it was still good. We also usually stop for breakfast here before heading to Philly to visit relatives.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike 2008/04/22 16:27:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recommendations. We may just wind up going into town.

I noticed there is a place called Massey's Frozen Custard in Carlisle. Can anyone tell me if it's real frozen custard or just soft-serve ice cream? Thanks again.
    Drewmcdan1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Carlisle, PA off of PA Turnpike 2008/04/22 19:53:17 (permalink)
    quote:

I noticed there is a place called Massey's Frozen Custard in Carlisle. Can anyone tell me if it's real frozen custard or just soft-serve ice cream?

Not sure about it being real custard, but I know it's one of the local institutions. Here's a link to the Cumberland Valley CVB's dining listings: http://www.visitcumberlandvalley.com/dining/default.asp
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1