Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2006/05/22 03:45:00 (permalink)

Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo

I've mentioned before how pathetic is the deli scene in NoCal so I am always on the lookout for a way around the problem. When I came across a largish package of pastrami claiming to be from the Carnegie Deli on a trip to my local CostCo last week, I figured it was worth a try. So I had it for dinner tonight (it comes in 2 separate packages fused together so I cut them apart and froze one). It is packaged so that you can just punch a couple small holes in the plastic package, then microwave the whole thing hot, which I did. One package turned out to be enough to 2 hefty sandwiches so I piled the meat on some good bread with mustard and . . . it was surprisingly tasty. In fact, I'd have to say it was the best pastrami I've eaten near the shores the Pacific.

So, if you are in a deli-deprived spot like me but have a CostCo nearby, look for it. I think it'll please you.

37 Replies Related Threads

douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/22 09:15:17 (permalink)
    I know some don't care for it, but if, as so aptly put by BT, you live in a deli-deprived location it's pretty darn good. We are truly without deli here in the Shenandoah Valley, so I was glad to hear of its arrival at Costco.

BT, if you go to LA, try Langers - second only to Katz's.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7317
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/22 16:06:38 (permalink)
    Dang! I was just at Costco on Friday, ran in for a big bag of spinach and a few other things and ran out (company for dinner was going to arrive in a few hours). I'll have to go back and see if ours carries the Carnegie Deli pastrami. Think the deli scene is pathetic in NoCal......HA! try Anchorage! What's a deli???
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/22 16:43:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

So, if you are in a deli-deprived spot like me but have a CostCo nearby, look for it. I think it'll please you.

I live near plenty of good delis, but found this a great product for at home deli delights!
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/22 20:03:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I've mentioned before how pathetic is the deli scene in NoCal so I am always on the lookout for a way around the problem. When I came across a largish package of pastrami claiming to be from the Carnegie Deli on a trip to my local CostCo last week, I figured it was worth a try. So I had it for dinner tonight (it comes in 2 separate packages fused together so I cut them apart and froze one). It is packaged so that you can just punch a couple small holes in the plastic package, then microwave the whole thing hot, which I did. One package turned out to be enough to 2 hefty sandwiches so I piled the meat on some good bread with mustard and . . . it was surprisingly tasty. In fact, I'd have to say it was the best pastrami I've eaten near the shores the Pacific.

BT

I took the Costco Pastrami out of the package and put in in a stove top steamer until heated through. It was very good.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/22 20:59:42 (permalink)
    We eat it too, and even though I live within a mile or two of the Carnegie Deli, it really is not a bad option at all! I just find that it can really be a little too fatty, so when I microwave it, I like to take it out of the package and lay it on a plate with a bed of paper towels to absorb the grease.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/22 21:02:11 (permalink)
    Also, I forgot to add...BT, have you tried Saul's in Berkeley? On Shattuck Avenue? I found it a great deli option when I lived in the Bay Area a few years back.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/23 00:54:04 (permalink)
    I have not tried Saul's. I keep being advised to and keep meaning to. I don't have a car here, but Shattuck should put it within walking distance of the BART Station.

Tommy2dogs method of heating the pastrami is probably ideal, but I found the package instructions for microwaving it hot worked quite well (just poke a small vent hole in the plastic bag it comes in and nuke away). Also, one of my big gripes about the local product here is it is too lean and, hence, tasteless. I welcomed the fatiness of this product.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/26 10:44:21 (permalink)
    I tried the pastrami which is boxed and in two seperate pouches a couple of months ago.
    Hats off to COSTCO. It is damn good plate cut pastrami. And in terms of the fat, as in bacon
    it has the required amount to satisfy. You know its good when the heart healthy older folks
    don't like it. After all, you don't eat it every day for every meal (although I would give it a
    try if I was forced). For those who do not live near a traditional Jewish style deli, this is the
    real thing. You cannot compare it to the supermarket type pastrami which is more like a blend
    of smoke beef, turkey and ham and tastes like it came out of another galaxy.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/26 10:51:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip BT! Somehow I've missed this on my weekly Costco run. I'll be on the lookout now.
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 194
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/26 10:53:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

We eat it too, and even though I live within a mile or two of the Carnegie Deli, it really is not a bad option at all! I just find that it can really be a little too fatty, so when I microwave it, I like to take it out of the package and lay it on a plate with a bed of paper towels to absorb the grease.

Thats Juicy, not fatty.
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/30 22:21:22 (permalink)
    Hey Bt

Where did you find the pastrami? I was there today and could not find it at Nashua NH , what section should I look?

Cheers
    KB
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/30 22:38:49 (permalink)
    In my Costco I find it in the section with pepperoni and salami -- chilled processed meats, near the cheese. Not fresh meat, and not frozen.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/30 22:54:19 (permalink)
    It's been a while now but I seem to recall they had a fairly prominent end-aisle display in the cold cuts/cheese section as Gordon said. You might have to ask someone (not so easy at CostCo I know).
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/30 23:12:33 (permalink)
    Great! I will look for this product at my Dallas Costco.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/30 23:13:21 (permalink)
    my sister just told me that there is now some sort of a Carnegie Deli in the Six Flags Great Adventure Amusement Park (NJ).........

I just don't see how it could be as good as the original in NYC....

My friends don't like the Carnegie Deli that's in the Mirage in Vegas......."not the same", they say......

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/31 03:28:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

my sister just told me that there is now some sort of a Carnegie Deli in the Six Flags Great Adventure Amusement Park (NJ).........

I just don't see how it could be as good as the original in NYC....

My friends don't like the Carnegie Deli that's in the Mirage in Vegas......."not the same", they say......

I would hope and expect the packaged stuff at CostCo and possibly even the clones in Vegas and elsewhere wouldn't be as good as the cut-to-order stuff at the original location, but I started this by saying the other options where I live are pretty grim. I assume most of us would only consider any prepackaged product if we were in a similar situation. But all that said, this is a very acceptable alternative when going to a good NYC deli like Carnegie or Katz's isn't an option.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/05/31 03:43:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I have not tried Saul's. I keep being advised to and keep meaning to. I don't have a car here, but Shattuck should put it within walking distance of the BART Station.

BT, for me, the Berkeley BART stop was definitely close enough..but I don't know how comfortable you are with walking longer distances. The closest intersection for Saul's, if I recall, is Virginia/Shattuck. Anyhow, the deli is near Chez Panisse, the Cheese Board, and the Berkeley Andronico's.

It really is quite a treat! You (and anyone else in the Bay Area) should check it out.

joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/03 19:06:17 (permalink)
    OK, based on the reviews you all have given, I bought some of the pastrami at Costco today. It looks really yummy. Are you heating it as recommended on the package? I confess that I have never bought pastrami in my life...I just order it in restaurants.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/04 04:25:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

Are you heating it as recommended on the package? I confess that I have never bought pastrami in my life...I just order it in restaurants.

As discussed above, I DO heat it just like the package says. Tommy2dogs says he takes it out of the package and steams it warm. However you do it, I WOULD heat it. It's pretty fatty (which I continue to think with both pastrami and corned beef is a good thing) but I think because of that it's better hot (and that's also the traditional way to eat it).
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/04 05:49:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mhill95

quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

Thats Juicy, not fatty.

Sorry, as BT said, it can be fatty. I know the difference between juicy and fatty...I've been eating pastrami here in New York for quite a while.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/04 14:58:12 (permalink)
    I made it last night for dinner -- delish! Just nuked it as directed, and put in on some decent rye bread with a little mustard. VERY very tender and really good. I agree that it's a little too fatty to eat cold out of the fridge.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/04 17:59:12 (permalink)
    I posted this recipe for homemade Pastrami on 1/28/2006:

"Soak a nice corned beef for six to eight hours in cold water using ice cubes to keep the water cold. Some folks go up to 24 hours, I’m happy with 6-8, as I want to remove some of the salt, not all of it. Mix the included spices with some additional pickling seasoning, black pepper, brown sugar, and dry mustard, and then rub it down. Smoke with a light wood such as apple or cherry until an internal temperature of 160-170 degrees."

The deli's start with a brisket (Cheaper) and cure it, hence Corned Beef, for me it's easier to start with the corned beef. No smoker, use your oven; I do not think most deli's have a smoker. At 225 degrees it will take three to four hours to hit 160-170, DO NOT depend upon time; you really must have a thermometer with an internal probe, I have a couple of Taylor’s from Target for under $20.00

John
    shackburger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/05 16:30:19 (permalink)
    I've bought the Carnegie Pastrami 3 times from Costco. Twice it was really good. Once it was junk.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/06/05 19:17:12 (permalink)
    I suppose I'll have to give it another try. I tried once, and it was awful. So much coriander, I couldn't find the meat.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/09/12 18:57:59 (permalink)
    This weekend at Costco, we found Carnegie Deli kosher spears to go with the Carnegie pastrami.
    Don't know how they measure up to the "real thing", but for the true-deli-deprived SoCal region, it's a treat!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/09/13 07:35:37 (permalink)
    We've gotten the Carnegie pastrami a few times at Costco and enjoyed them each time. I usually microwave the pkg.
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/10/25 14:18:52 (permalink)
    just got back from my local Costco.

Not only did the have the Carnegie Deli pastrami ($9.99 for 2-.75lb containers), right next to it, they also had pastrami from Columbus Salame company. 32oz for $10.49.

anyone tried that?

http://www.columbussalame.com/dyn/search_products.html?keywords=pastrami
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2006/11/18 23:13:20 (permalink)
    Our Costco in Mt Prospect IL has the Carnegie pastrami sitting next to the boxed Vienna Corned Beef (reg or lean). I bought the Pastrami today.
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Carnegie Deli pastrami . . . from CostCo 2007/03/20 03:27:15 (permalink)
    I was in our Costco yesterday and I saw they were carrying Carnegie Deli Rye Bread.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1