Hot!Carrolls restaurants

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
ulysses94
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/10/29 22:45:56 (permalink)
Carrols. If I believe what I learned, growing up outside Rochester, NY.

This hamburger 'joint' began in the small town of Batavia, NY, then headquartered in Syracuse. Cutting out a lot of history I was too young to see, as they went into a rapid expansion, Carrols was bought out by Burger King -- with the exception that the original restaurant could retain their trademark, which eventually closed sometime in the late-80's. I had no idea they managed to go so national as Las Vegas, as somebody showed here, but I knew they had a good anchor in the North East. Which is why Burger King bought them under. Carrols club burger was much superior to the Big Mac, but that slid past the BK profit Kings.

Carrols had some nice TV ads; there was a parody of the movie, "The Russians are coming", which suggested that the Russian sub wasn't lost, just looking to find a Carrol's.
"... if good food turns you on, turn into Carrols".
ulysses94
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/10/29 23:22:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fivemile13

I am from Rochester, N.Y. and remember Carrols well. My sister worked at a Carrols in 1971-72, when she was a teenager. Boy, did we love Club Burgers. Always better than a Big Mac. We had a Carrols in

[....]

As for jingles, I remember this one: "When good food turns you on, turn into Carrols." There was a commercial I recall as well, with showgirls assembling an oversized Club Burger, with some lyrics like "First we take the buns and toast them right..." also mentioning their special sauce, etc. Can't really remember much more.

We used to also visit Carrols in the Buffalo area. I remember my uncle in Tonawanda lived right near one.

Of course we were all disappointed when Carrols disappeared. I like Burger King, but it is just not the same. I remember when I was in college in Buffalo and used to take the bus home on occasional weekends, the bus would stop in Batavia. There was still a Carrols there, with Club Burgers, perhaps in 1980! I still have a French Fry bag from there. Eventually it closed down too. I had heard that the last surviving Carrols was in Dewitt, N.Y., which makes sense since it is a suburb of Syracuse, home of Carrols Corp.

... when good food turns you on, turn into Carrols...

Do you remember the commercial that spoofed "The Russians are coming", where the Russians were not really lost, they were looking for a Carrols?

By my legend, the store in Batavia was the original, which was allowed to retain its name and food until closing in the late
80's.
But the more I read here, the more that may not be true.

The only truth is -- I miss Carrols, for all the reasons everyone cites.

For the record; a fast-food that comes so close to joy, while folding in the old A&W/Hires drive-in flavor, is this new franchise working up from the South East. "Sonic".

Let's hope they get further north, while we all can still afford to step out. ;)
I want my kids to have a chance to see how these burger places were enjoyable, not just a place to stop on the way home.

bmiddaugh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/10/30 07:58:33 (permalink)
I'm originally from Rochester, NY but live in the Tampa, FL area. We have Sonics all over the place. The hamburgers are better than McDonalds or Burger King; however, their coney island footlong hotdogs suck!
bmiddaugh
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/04 10:43:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dth1971

I just heard on an audio cassette of taped from TV to audio cassette a commercial circa 1970-1971 for Carroll's Hamburgers.

Hey dth1971: can I get a copy of that commercial from you? bmiddaugh (bmiddaug@yahoo.com)
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/09 17:50:34 (permalink)
I have some Carrols memorabilia I would trade for a copy of that tape. I remember the Carrols in Syracuse's Valley section and the one in Liverpool, NY. I also have a complete 18 glass set of the first issue of Looney Tunes Pepsi glasses that were sold by Carrols.
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/09 18:31:58 (permalink)
I see others have posted images of Carrols items but I don't know how to do it. That's unfortunate as I wanted to scan Carrols hats, puppets, etc. and post images on here. This stuff is very hard to find and I just wanted to share the images with others.
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/09 18:39:37 (permalink)
Oh yeah, one other thing. Could we please have the name of this forum changed to Carrols? Carrolls (with 2 L's) is incorrect, as is any spelling with an apostrophe. Not griping, just shooting for authenticity.
slade1955
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/22 11:44:47 (permalink)
A woman I work with used to work at a Carroll's in New Jersey. She came in one day and showed me a matchbook from there and name tag.
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/22 18:41:43 (permalink)
A friend of mine has the matches if I remember right. the name tag would be neat to see. I did post a bunch of images of my collection on the Yahoo Carrols group. This can be seen by registered members at:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Carrols/

Just look under the Carrols Gallery 3 folder in the Photos section if interested.
Cherry5000
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/24 12:44:58 (permalink)
I found your thread on a websearch for those Carroll's glasses.
For those of you that thought Carroll's was gone forever it still exists...Helsinki, Finland. That's right Helsinki. I found one back in 98 and got my fill of several Club Burgers. They we still packaged the same way as they were back in the 70's with the thin waxed paper ring to hold everything together. If you have the money and the time happy traveling.
RoadWarrier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/24 13:31:59 (permalink)
Hey there Cherry!! YES there IS a Carrols, You are Absolutely Correct. They are STILL Thriving well in Finland.
I was involved in Setting Up the Operations there back in the beginning of the 70's.It was a Natural Progression, from the units we were setting up in Sweden. The Finns saw what was happening and wanted some of the 'Action'. FAST FOOD ( as we know it)was Just starting Over there. LOL We sold a LOT of CLUB BURGERS. I can remember a Promo we did in Helsinki.... Buy 1 Get 1 Free, OMG they were Lined up outside as I arrived Before we Opened. The folks Bought them by the Dozen and they took them home and froze them.
It was GREAT ! I also have some pics showing units over there. I need to figure out how to post them on here for your entertainment.
More later, I hope MORE People have stories to share.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2008/11/24 16:07:54 (permalink)
RoadWarrior: In case you missed the link on page 3, the Carroll's in Finland has a web site:
http://www.carrols.fi/
fan23
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/03/10 14:08:47 (permalink)

Ahhh Starlight Drive-In , what memories, the property now being taken up by Delta Sonic and the old BJ's Wholesale club building. I grew up on Town Line rd. right up the street from Carrols on the corner of West Henrietta Rd (which is now an Arby's & has been since Carrols closed down sometime in the 70's). Funny story, during the big blizzard of 1966, my brothers locked our dog in the bathroom of Carrols and my mom called a manager ( I dont know where she got his phone # from) to come and unlock the restaurant and let him out. I seem to remember two Carrols in Henrietta the other one being on Jefferson rd by Southtown Plaza. I was too young to remember how the food tasted, but I do remember Carrols and have some of the Looney Tunes glasses that they gave away.
post edited by fan23 - 2009/03/10 14:17:12
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/03/11 14:29:10 (permalink)
The Carrols story is pretty typical of most 60's McDs imitators: It started out as a chain in the Ohio/Indiana area, and slowly expanded. A guy named Herbert Slotnick got the franchising rights for New York and Pennsylvania, and he opened a slew of stores all over New York - mostly in areas where McDs had not explored yet. The first one in our town opened in 67 or so, and then another one about 70.  Most of the units had opened as counter only stores, but in the early 70s, most (but not all) were remodeled to have dining rooms, as McDs was starting to encroach on its territory.  meanwhile Slotnick essentially had taken over the company, and early 70s beef shortages/price inflation took hold.  Carrols was actually doing pretty good, but Slotnick knew he couldn't compete with McDs TV ads...meanwhile, BK was lookng to expand, and very convienantly,  needed outlets in most of the areas Carrols served, so Slotnick made a deal with BK, and converted about 75% of the Carrols into BKs. Carrols CORPORATION still exists,and it is now THE biggest single BK franchisee.

MY first job ever was opening a converted Carrols-into-BK, and all my paychecks came from Carrols Corp....

Id sure love a Club Burger right now....
bmiddaugh
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/06/02 09:31:18 (permalink)
Does anybody have dth1971's email address? I would love to get an audio copy oif that Carrol's hamburger commercial!
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1027
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/06/02 20:00:01 (permalink)
Wow... I haven't thought about Carroll's in a long time. My grandfather would take us kids to the location in Auburn, NY, he lived 3 blocks away. I can't exactly remember what I ate, but that I always got excited about going. The building is still there, but it's a packing and shipping store now, after stints as a Red Barn, then Dominoes.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/06/06 09:01:58 (permalink)
The Carrol's corporation converted itself into a burger king franchisee with multiple locations, IIRC.  Too bad too.  Much better than BK.
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/06/07 04:45:05 (permalink)
  For folks who are members of the Yahoo Carrols group:

I just uploaded an image of some stickers that Carrols gave away in the late 1960's. I was lucky enough to find 6 sets of these, unused! The image is under "Photos", folder # 3.

Soon to come:

An image of an orange Carrols ashtray I just bought. I'm just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
 Todd K. Stearns
post edited by toddsyr - 2009/06/07 04:48:20
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/06/17 23:45:17 (permalink)
I posted the image of the ashtray. I also just posted another image of another ashtray I just bought that comes with a book of matches. If anyone is interested in joining the Yahoo Carrols group, go to:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Carrols/

I have over 30 images of Carrols memorabilia posted there.

toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/06/30 22:30:04 (permalink)
I recently was lucky enough to find one of those old waxed paper Carrols cups from the 1960's too.

Attached Image(s)

CaptCarson
Junior Burger
Re:Carrolls restaurants 2009/07/27 17:18:23 (permalink)
Eynon, PA - I remember that Carrols was next to a McD's on the strip across from Sugerman's.  To this day, my wife and I lament the loss of Carrols.  Man! - I could REALLY use a Club Burger right now!
johnsm
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/12/16 14:38:41 (permalink)
Little late replying..

ConeyIslandLou
The final definitive spelling: CARROLS.... if you do a google search for 'carrols' one of the first links is to a Swedish Carrols fan site,complete with a picture of a real Cluburger..mmmm...can almost taste the sucker!

If you're referring to www.carrols.fi then you're sadly mistaken, because
  1. it's not Swedish, and
  2. it's not a fan site.

AFAIK the last Carrols restaurants in the world are in Finland. Apparently they got a license for the franchise or something way back when. I remember they were pretty big and cool in the early 90's. All the 3 big chains in Finland (Carrols, McDonalds and Hesburger - a Finnish chain from Turku) ran a lot of TV ads. Anyway, long story short,  later at some point Hesburger bought the chain and converted pretty much all of them to Hesburgers. I think they left only one in the center of Helsinki. (I think I went there like 3 months ago or something.)
That happened years ago, though. Looks like they've opened a couple of new ones.

The burgers have always been a little dry for my taste, but I thought they got really stingy with the sauce/mayo/whatever when the chain got bought. It in itself is a small WTF, since Hesburger OTOH are quite liberal with their sauces.

Looks like they don't have an English website, but here are the locations in case you guys feel like visiting Europe for a burger:
http://www.carrols.fi/fi/ravintolat
(allow javascript for a map)

Edit: I guess I should've read the whole thread first...
post edited by johnsm - 2009/12/16 14:58:16
johnsm
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2009/12/16 14:57:01 (permalink)
RB0012Hero
I also saw slalds featured. Do they also serve breakfast over there?!?!

Nope. I think all chains nowadays try to cater for that audience too. I guess they noticed that some people (mostly women?) prefer lighter meals and if they didn't offer them anything, they and their friends would go someplace else to eat.

In addition to that, they're trying to play the healthy food for kids -card. Eg. McDonalds' meal now includes a choice like small carrots instead of french fries, juice instead of soda, etc. They offer a choice, so now it's their parents' fault if they eat crap there.

Isn't this sort of thing happening everywhere?

sonjaab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/06/18 00:15:27 (permalink)
sonjaab
Cheeseburger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/06/18 00:16:54 (permalink)
The Carrol’s chain was started by Leo Moranz of Tastee-Freez out of the mid-west (his daughter’s name was Carrol) but really took off under the stewardship of Herb Slotnick from upstate New York who’s family had a chain of movie theaters. Slotnick became the largest francise owner of Carrol’s encompassing New York state and New England. He eventually bought out the chain from Tastee-Freez and was doing a decent job competing with McDonald’s and Burger King for a small chain. In the mid-70′s the Carrol’s Corp. made a major decision, basically they decided that they had brought the concept as far as it would go and instead swithed teams to became the largest Burger King franchiser in the country. They converted some of the Carrol’s locations to Burger King and phased out the other locations.

post edited by sonjaab - 2010/06/18 00:20:10
sonjaab
Cheeseburger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/06/18 00:27:38 (permalink)

Pics from Decatur Ga.

sonjaab
Cheeseburger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/06/18 00:44:58 (permalink)
toddsyr
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/06/19 17:45:12 (permalink)
I have a copy of that Carrols photo too . Got it off EBay as I'm sure you did as well. Anyhow, I believe it's a pic of the Carrols that was in the Utica/New York Mills area. It's even still there, as an adult store.
justme67
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/08/31 17:16:01 (permalink)
Oh, the great memories in Oulu Finland, sitting upstairs of Carrolls' place in 1980's and watching people walk by. The best burgers by far! I really miss them. I think there is still a Carrolls' in Helsinki somewhere...if anyone has the address, let me know and I'll stop by next time I'm there!!!! Awww. man. the sauces they used with burgers are something to drool over...yum.
bmiddaugh
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/09/01 14:35:30 (permalink)
Here is info of the Carrols sites in Finland from Wikipedia:    There is a pic of one in Helsinki on that site.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1