Hot!Carrolls restaurants

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
bmiddaugh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2010/09/01 14:38:30 (permalink)
This site blocked the link; I'll try typing it in:       en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrols_%28Finland%29               If it doesn't go through this time, just google Carrols (Finland). 
tuxr99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2011/10/03 16:22:16 (permalink)
Yes! I remember Carrols well. Back when I lived in Rochester NY in the late 60's and 70's, it was such a treat to go there as a kid. The Club Burger was the best! I'm going to have to make some Royale sauce and try and recreate it. Ah, the memories.
roxo56
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2011/11/30 20:32:07 (permalink)
I too remember eating  $.15 burgers at the Henrietta Carroll's and thought they were way better than the McD's which opened later on East Henrietta rd near the Wegman's. I can't remember where in Henrietta the Carroll's was. I grew up in Rochester from '63-'74 and miss the food, not the winters...
fan23
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2011/11/30 22:52:26 (permalink)
There were two Carrolls in Henrietta. One was at the corner of West Henrietta Rd and Brighton Henrietta Town Line Rd and the other was on Jefferson Rd just west of Southtown Plaza.
DRM400Z07
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2011/12/26 17:59:15 (permalink)
My very first fast food experience was with Carrol's back in the mid-60's.  We lived in Loudonville, NY, outside of Albany, and there was a Carrol's restaurant on Route 9 in Latham, IIRC.  The fries were the first thing that literally knocked my socks off - I'm sure they weren't healthy, but the flavor was mind-blowing!  I recall inhaling the burgers, but I can't recall opting for the Club Burger vs. just a regular cheeseburger or hamburger - it didn't take much to please me and as a student, I didn't have a lot to spend.  I do remember the "A Serving A Second" logo - man, I would give anything to roll back the years and enjoy another great meal from Carrol's!  Thankfully I was overseas on active military duty  when they changed to BK's - neither BK, McDonalds, Wendy's, Hardees, or any other pretenders ever measured up to Carrols, IMO!
max123
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2012/08/08 19:46:20 (permalink)
I worked for Carrols in the mid seventies; the first assistant manager of our store is now the "Catbert" of Carrols Corp. 

The Club Burger was built upside down in a cardboard collar using a three piece bun.  The crown was placed in the collar, then Royal Dressing (from Monarch Food in Spfld, MA), lettuce, ground beef pattie, cheese, middle of bun, cheese (rotated 90 degrees relative to the first slice), beef pattie, onions, ketchup, bottom of bun (to the best of my recollection).  The tomato slice had been eliminated berfore I worked there; we had the Roast Beef Hero (a new item at the time)...the slice of beef was folded into one quarter and seven pieces were placed on the bun.  It was nuked for 1 minute in our brand new Litton Menumaster microwave.

I worked there six months and made Swing Shift Manager in three ($3.00 an hour!!!).  
WaltA
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2012/12/16 19:32:41 (permalink)
dordor61

I grew up in Montgomery, NY; our house was on Rt. 17K. Since you had to travel to either Newburgh or Middletown to do any shopping, my mother used to often shop in the Newburgh area and we would always eat at Carrol's in Newburgh, right on Rt. 17K (near the old Lloyd's). My father worked at Stewart Air Base, and we'd visit him there and preferred eating at Carrol's to eating mess hall food! Does anyone else remember this particular Carrol's in Newburgh, NY?

I remember the Carrols located in the same shopping area as the W.T. Grants dept store and the Big V supermarket, in Vails Gate, NY.
johnsm
Junior Burger
Re:Carrolls restaurants 2013/12/13 07:54:22 (permalink)
In case you haven't heard, and even if you have, I'll post a very late update here for posterity:
Carrols is now officially dead in Finland as well. They were starting to slowly open new locations again for a while, but looks like someone at Hesburger didn't like that and they were all converted to Hesburgers in early 2012. The one restaurant previously left intact at the center of Helsinki was closed too.
I think you can still get Club Burgers on Hesburgers at times as a campaign product, though, but ever since they bought the chain, the burgers have tasted drier - I don't know if is them putting too little sauce or the salad, which I think they changed. I'd really like to see someone starting the chain again and making their original products properly.
Anyway, I thought you guys would like to know this before your trip to Finland.
Jay1974
Junior Burger
Re:Carrolls restaurants 2014/04/25 20:23:36 (permalink)
Johnsm, thanks for the news on the demise of Carols in Finland. That's too bad. Unfortunately, my only experience with Carols involves a vacant building in Watertown, N. Y. When I moved there in 1984 and asked a coworker what used to be in the abandoned building, he told me it was a Carols and raved about how great their hamburgers were. All along, I thought he was saying "Carrows," not "Carols." I lived in Syracuse for three years but not once did anyone mention the iconic hamburger place while I was there.
The_Finn
Junior Burger
Re:Carrolls restaurants 2014/06/04 08:24:29 (permalink)
If it is of any interest to you, I was in the last Finnish Carrolls on the last day when it operated under that name. Took some pictures, including one of the menu. I also have the feedback "card" that one could use for giving feedback to the restaurant by filling the questionnaire.

If there is interest on this forum, I could scan that feedback card and for instance upload the photo(s) that I have.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2014/06/04 12:35:13 (permalink)
Yes there was a Carrol's in Latham, NY before there was any of the other chains.  It was on route 7 near I87,  the Northway.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2014/06/04 14:24:11 (permalink)
Just curious... How does a thread (such as this one) elicit so many new posters?
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2014/06/04 14:59:03 (permalink)
Nostalgia! 
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2014/06/04 15:40:53 (permalink)
I remember Carrolls restaurants in Newport News, VA. back in the early 70's. Their club burger was pretty good, but what I most remember about that burger was how much lettuce they put on it. 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2014/06/04 23:40:43 (permalink)
Hey JAY1974-
  You were closer than you knew... Up to the late 1990's, ( I think they closed in 1998) there was a Carroll's on the NW corner of Main and "I" Avenue in Hesperia. It was a traditional coffee-shop / restaurant in the old HOJO and NORM's style building and menu.
I was a teacher in Hesperia and at VVC until retirement in 2000 and that Carroll's was a frequent dinner stop for us until it closed up.
johnsm
Junior Burger
Re:Carrolls restaurants 2014/07/05 09:29:56 (permalink)
There's a Club Burger campaign going on in Finnish Hesburgers ATM (not in any of the other countries AFAIK). No end date is given, but I'd guess it lasts until the next weekend at least. They're advertising a loyalty card discount for the meal for the whole month of July, though, hinting that the campaign might last that long. (In case you're planning to be in the area, which I admit is unlikely, they're forecasting nice weather for the next two weeks as well. About damn time, too.)

The burgers I had were a bit ketchupy but at least they weren't dry. Lacking a point of comparison other than my dimming memories, I can't say whether they were as good as the original ones. Still better than what is offered on the standard Hesburger menu, though.

The_Finn
If there is interest on this forum, I could scan that feedback card and for instance upload the photo(s) that I have.

Go for it.
johnsm
Junior Burger
RE: Carrolls restaurants 2014/07/06 11:26:09 (permalink)
RB0012Hero
The Crisbo Royal Sauce (the official name of Carrols' special sauce for Club Burgers) is made of mayonnaise, ketchup, and relish blended together, but in what proportions?!

According to this (re-retry: burgerjoints.blogspot.com/2007/11/club-burger-at-carrols-helsinki-finland.html ):
"it's a simple blend of 45% mayonnaise + 45% ketchup + 10% relish"
Blended quite fine, IMHO. You'd still have to know exactly what kind of mayonnaise, ketchup and relish, right?
(This is what they're currently using: translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hesburger.fi%2Ftuotteet%2Fkampanjat%2Fclubburger0&edit-text=&act=url )

edit: "Some restrictions apply to prevent link (URL) Spam." FFS! I'd like to post some relevant links!

post edited by johnsm - 2014/07/06 11:40:44
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1