Carrot Cake

Author
Mitch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/07/02 16:22:32 (permalink)

Carrot Cake

My wife and I found excellent carrot cake at Farmer Boys Restaurant in Akron OH. For the last 4-5 months we have been trying carrot cake at many locations around Akron and have not found any that come close.
The cake is made with carrots, pineapple, rasins, nuts, and cream cheese frosting. It is always moist and delicious. None in the Akron area comes close.

13 Replies Related Threads

Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Carrot Cake 2006/07/02 17:03:50 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Hello Mitch and glad to see your first posting. Welcome to Roadfood.
    I live in a part of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia that is rich
    with Mennonites, Methodists, Brethrens, and Catholics. Growing up, the only place
    I found carrot cake was at religious meals and gatherings. They were always
    so great. Now, at some restaurants and grocery stores they offer it, but
    it is always made by a company, like Sara Lee, and doesn't have the quality of homemade.
    I've never found that anyone makes the same homemade version of carrot-cake.
    Some leave out raisins, or nuts, or pineapple. I prefer the ones without nuts.
    I've always liked carrot cake because it is basically a spice cake with carrots and
    whatever the baker wanted to add.
    Mitch, thanks for the thread...I can taste carrot cake in my memories right now.
    Take Care, and again Welcome to Roadfoad
    Fieldthistle
    Cheyenne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Carrot Cake 2006/07/03 13:43:35 (permalink)
    Hi Mitch! I too am a lover of carrot cake and have never found any to compare to the one I make at home. The closest was in Indiana at an Amish restaurant. The next time we drive through Akron I will make it a point to stop and try the one at Farmer Boys.
    Cheyenne
    Mitch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/01 21:21:06 (permalink)
    It has been several years since I made the original post about carrot cake. I've been on several cruises, CA, GA, TN, KY, NC, PA, IA, NB, WV, VA, and numerous church dinners since then and tested carrots cakes where ever I went. I even tasted Dino's 24 Carrot Cake Co's and still have not found any as good as Farmer boys in Akron.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/01 23:58:02 (permalink)
    I live by very few hard and fast rules, but one of them is that desserts are not made from vegetables.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/02 07:26:53 (permalink)
    Why not? What's wrong with pumkin, or squash and zuccini?
    Carrots are loaded with sugar more than tomatos, and the tomato is a fruit.
    Not a big desert eater myself but I find it hard to pass on carrot cake.
    Chow Jim
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/02 09:39:54 (permalink)
    I don't care for pumpkin, squash, or zucchini as desserts, either, now that you mention it.
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/02 20:26:24 (permalink)
    Travelin Man, are you a fan of moist, rich, dark chocolate cake with ganache frosting? If so, I bet I could convert you with my chocolate cake and its secret ingredient - yes, it's a veggie!
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1627
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/03 09:13:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I live by very few hard and fast rules, but one of them is that desserts are not made from vegetables.

Is this cocoa bean a vegetable or fruit?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/03 09:40:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JaneDough

Travelin Man, are you a fan of moist, rich, dark chocolate cake with ganache frosting? If so, I bet I could convert you with my chocolate cake and its secret ingredient - yes, it's a veggie!

Ms. Dough - I have been known to put away a piece of chocolate cake, especially as a dessert for a breakfast of chicken and pancakes (see most recent trip report for photos!). However, if your secret ingredient is green peppers, I will stand by my statement that vegetables are not dessert.

@cavandre - I will defer to the final answer on all things of question origin,[url='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetables']Wikipedia[/url]:

The term "vegetable" generally means the edible parts of plants. The definition of the word is traditional rather than scientific, however. Therefore the usage is somewhat arbitrary and subjective, as it is determined by individual cultural customs of food selection and food preparation.

Generally speaking, a herbaceous plant or plant part which is regularly eaten as unsweetened or salted food by humans is considered to be a vegetable. Mushrooms, though belonging to the biological kingdom Fungi, are also generally considered to be vegetables, at least in the retail industry.[1][2] Nuts, seeds, grains, herbs, spices and culinary fruits are usually not considered to be vegetables, even though all of them are edible parts of plants.

In general, vegetables are regarded by cooks as being suitable for savory or salted dishes, rather than sweet dishes, although there are many exceptions, such as pumpkin pie.

The bolding is my own. Given that Wikipedia is widely accepted as the undeniable truth, we can hold that cocoa is, in fact, not a vegetable.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/03 10:07:06 (permalink)

TTM, You are locking yourself into an eating pattern, be careful !!

While I don't usually compare "Large-Scale" bakery operations to the small restaurant bakery or home-made item, this is a definite exception to the rule. Costco makes an outstanding Carrot Cake. It seems to fill the description that Mitch gave in his original post. Best of all it is HUGE and will easily fill a rabbit family or a group of (kosher)carnivore, traveling baseball fans. All for $17.00.
    I recommend it for a time when you want a 'not-so-light' sweet treat.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/03 16:24:42 (permalink)
    Mitch

I dont have a good place to find carrot cake but I do have a wonderful recipe, I just finished off an entire one for my birthday

carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
    WBBear
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/03 20:44:23 (permalink)
    Boys and Girls,
    "BabyBear" requested this cake for her birthday. Says its the best she has ever had. Its sweet but not sickening so. Chock full of the good stuff.
    I hope you all enjoy. Just pull one out of the oven this afternoon, going to go ice it.

Carrot Sheet Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
    1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice (add juice)
    1 (3 1/2-ounce) can sweetened flaked coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    1 cup raisins (regular or golden)
    Cream Cheese Frosting

Plumb raisins in hot water. Stir together first 4 ingredients. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Drain water from raisins. Fold in carrots and next 4 ingredients. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan.
    Bake at 350° for 30 minutes; cover pan loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, and bake 13 more minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly over cake.
    Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

Cream Cheese Frosting
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
    Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract; beat at high speed 10 seconds or until smooth.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Carrot Cake 2008/07/03 21:08:10 (permalink)
    One would be hard-pressed to find an eater more persnickety than me, but I'm a fool for a good carrot cake. I know not why.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1