Carry-Out versus Dine-In

Author
jman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1318
2012/01/12 15:09:55 (permalink)

Carry-Out versus Dine-In

There is always a lot of discussion here about the quality, or more accurately, the lack of quality of the offerings of the various FF chains.

I don't go to a FF restaurant with the anticipation of getting a very good meal.  I go there for convenience, and roll the dice as to where the results end up.  As long as I can eat what I ordered, I pretty much accept it for what it is.

IMO, the best opportunity to get a "good" meal at a FF restaurant is to walk in, ask them to cook my order fresh, and sit down and eat it.  If I go through the drive-thru, I know that by the time I get it home, it's going to be something less that what I'd really like it to be.

For instance, if I go into a Wendy's and order a double and eat it there, most of the time it tastes pretty good.  If I go into Burger King, order a Whopper and ask them to cook it fresh and not to microwave it, and then sit down and eat it, it's usually pretty good.

There isn't much FF fare that holds up well during the trip home/office.  To me, it's more about managing my expectations.  If I go in and eat, I expect it to meet my standards of "tasting good".  If I drive-thru and take it home, I expect it to be edible, but mostly expect it to satisfy a hunger.  For me, that's the way it is no matter which FF chain I go to.

7 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/12 15:33:21 (permalink)
    So noted.
    And I know there are some places wither FF has simply "won" ... and there ain't no other choices.
    Yet, if there is a decent place to walk into to wait and get your food ... there is at least a better chance of getting decent food.
    Same for the take-out, in my opinion, there may be degradation on the trip back to the office, but I'd rather have degradated  food from a decent place.
    I don't think you're defending FF, so much and I'm feeling playful.
    Good luck to you in FF-land.

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2358
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/12 17:09:10 (permalink)
    I feel food to go from fast food hamburger places loose a lot of quality, even more so if it's fried. The only fast food that travels well for me is Mexican, beans and rice hold up well, and all the entrees that I order do well. I tell them no salad, or a separate container for the cold condiments.............pnwc
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/12 18:54:24 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

I feel food to go from fast food hamburger places loose a lot of quality, even more so if it's fried. The only fast food that travels well for me is Mexican, beans and rice hold up well, and all the entrees that I order do well. I tell them no salad, or a separate container for the cold condiments.............pnwc

The only FF Mexican around here is Taco Bell.  There's not much difference in the quality whether you dine-in or drive-thru.  They're both equally bad.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/12 21:48:25 (permalink)
    jman

There is always a lot of discussion here about the quality, or more accurately, the lack of quality of the offerings of the various FF chains.

I don't go to a FF restaurant with the anticipation of getting a very good meal.  I go there for convenience, and roll the dice as to where the results end up.  As long as I can eat what I ordered, I pretty much accept it for what it is.

IMO, the best opportunity to get a "good" meal at a FF restaurant is to walk in, ask them to cook my order fresh, and sit down and eat it.  If I go through the drive-thru, I know that by the time I get it home, it's going to be something less that what I'd really like it to be.

For instance, if I go into a Wendy's and order a double and eat it there, most of the time it tastes pretty good.  If I go into Burger King, order a Whopper and ask them to cook it fresh and not to microwave it, and then sit down and eat it, it's usually pretty good.

There isn't much FF fare that holds up well during the trip home/office.  To me, it's more about managing my expectations.  If I go in and eat, I expect it to meet my standards of "tasting good".  If I drive-thru and take it home, I expect it to be edible, but mostly expect it to satisfy a hunger.  For me, that's the way it is no matter which FF chain I go to.

About the only FF we will eat is Culvers or Subway and we live 15 minutes from town, so we eat there.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/12 22:46:34 (permalink)
    jman

PNWCHEF

The only FF Mexican around here is Taco Bell.  There's not much difference in the quality whether you dine-in or drive-thru.  They're both equally bad.

The thing to always keep in mind with Taco Bell is that they do not sell Mexican food. I don't know what to call the food they sell, but as long as you always bear in mind the fact that it isn't Mexican food then you can just enjoy it for whatever it is. And it's not bad. It's just not Mexican.

In that respect, Taco Bell food is a lot like Cincinnati chili. As long as you keep in mind the fact that it isn't chili then you can enjoy it for what it really is -- Greek meat sauce. And it's really darned good.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/01/12 22:48:35
    cementhead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/20 20:03:01 (permalink)
    I probably shouldnt admit this here,but I even like McDonalds when the burgers are fresh off the griddle.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Carry-Out versus Dine-In 2012/01/20 21:18:00 (permalink)
    Sometimes Ronald gets upset when you carry-out.....

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1