Carvel ice cream

Author
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
2007/04/25 23:23:36 (permalink)

Carvel ice cream

My husband LOVED the strawberry dipped ice cream cones form Dairy Queen growing up, but we haven't been able to find any DQs that make them anymore. Well, back in 2005 we found an ice cream shop called Carvels that made similar ones with cherry. I had never heard of this ice cream shop and since it was several miles away from our house we hardly went. WEll, sometime last year we passed by and it was closed! Is Carvel popular outside of Texas?

15 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 09:12:00 (permalink)
    I always thought Carvel was a NY or Northeast thing only. As a kid I loved hokey the commercials with Tom Carvel, the founder and owner of the chain. There are still many around here (NY) , and they are pretty good.

Here is there history...

http://www.carvel.com/about_us/history.htm

They used to make the kind of cone you wrote about, chocolate or cherry dipped, at your request, but later started making them ahead and selling them out of a freezer. They called it a Brown Bonnet or a Cherry Bonnet if I recall correctly. To me, once you place soft ice cream in a freezer and store it a while, it loses the properties that make it appealing in the first place.

Now, since we don't have any DQ's in the down-state NY area (or very few) the only option for a fresh made dipped cone is Mr. Softee, http://www.mistersoftee.com/about.asp who has chocolate dip, cherry dip, and sometimes blue berry dip. If you come to NY we can sit on the front steps of my house and wait for him to drive by. One of the joys of summer!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7892
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 09:20:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

I always thought Carvel was a NY or Northeast thing only. As a kid I loved hokey the commercials with Tom Carvel, the founder and owner of the chain. There are still many around here (NY) , and they are pretty good.

Here is there history...

http://www.carvel.com/about_us/history.htm

I remember those commercials too.

We have Carvel here in RI too.

BTW, I had no idea that Tom Carvel was Greek, I always thought he was Italian.
    Yankeesfan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 10:04:13 (permalink)
    We had a Carvel's where I grew up in upstate New York -- complete with the tacky commercials! Here's a Washington Post columnist who remembers the commercials too:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2006/01/hail_the_gods_of_ice_creamcarv.html
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 10:49:28 (permalink)
    We now have Carvels in San Diego.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5463
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 13:39:46 (permalink)
    I heard on the radio news yesterday about his niece wanting to exhume his body. Says he was murdered.

Here is the 1st link I found using Google.

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/04/tom_carvels_mysterious_death_tom_valentis_awesome_uptown_digs.html
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 13:53:58 (permalink)
    tony bad, invitation accepted!!!!
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 15:25:20 (permalink)
    When I was very young in the 50's, there was a Carvel stand near where we lived in Levittown, on Long Island (I think it was on Hempstead Turnpike). It was a real treat to go there and get "frozen custard", which, in the days before Dairy Queen became ubiquitous, was a novelty.

Years later, my wife and I, then living in Brooklyn, went to the local Carvel which was located in a storefront on Seventh Avenue in Park Slope. It was a hot summer day, and we each got two cups of ice cream, not soft serve, and took them outside. After about 10 minutes, we both realized at the same time that the ice cream was not melting. Must have been laced with all sorts of chemical stabilizers. Never went back to a Carvel after that.

Charlie
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/26 22:07:21 (permalink)
    While Tom Carvel still controlled the company, headquarters were in Yonkers, NY, just north of New York City. IIRC, back in the day most of the franchises were in the northeast and in Florida. Back in the 60's in New York City, one could see trucks of Queens Farms Dairy of Ozone Park, Queens deliver the ice cream mix to Carvel stores in 5 gallon stainless steel milk urns. I'm sure the formula changed over the years, and not for the better. Now, the ice cream mix is delivered in one gallon paper "milk cartons".

Naxet, I used Carvel's store locator on their web site and see there are still some Carvel locations in Texas.

I once came across a radio aircheck web site that had downloads available of Tom Carvel's radio commercials; couldn't find it now. However, Tom Carvel was quite the businessman.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/27 00:23:03 (permalink)
    I was born and raised in the NYC area. So I am very familiar with Carvel. It was my favorite. I moved to Dallas in 1963 and that was the end of Carvel for me. Until now! Carvel has opened a store in the Dallas area and plans to open 40-50 more.
    With all the ex East coasters in Dallas, they should do very well.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/27 01:13:26 (permalink)
    Yup, I remember them while growing up in upstate New York, and they are still in the New York City metro area. I remember their ice cream cakes being a real treat.

I also remember the joking about how the same ice cream mold seemed to be reused for various holiday and special occasion cakes...anyone else notice that "Fudgy the Whale", with a little judicious food coloring and creative icing, miraculously transformed itself into "Santa Claus", as well as a Father's Day tie, etc.?
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/27 09:06:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

Yup, I remember them while growing up in upstate New York, and they are still in the New York City metro area. I remember their ice cream cakes being a real treat.

I also remember the joking about how the same ice cream mold seemed to be reused for various holiday and special occasion cakes...anyone else notice that "Fudgy the Whale", with a little judicious food coloring and creative icing, miraculously transformed itself into "Santa Claus", as well as a Father's Day tie, etc.?

I recall David Letterman did a groundbreaking expose on this use of the same pan for Fudgie and Santa. I also remember that they had a special St. Patrick's Day version of cookie puss...cookie o' puss.

Very funny stuff. I am sure many an ad executive cringed when they heard or saw Tom Carvel, but he definitely caught the public's attention!
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/27 09:26:03 (permalink)
    twinwillow- I didn't realize that you also were here in the Dallas area- there is a Carvel store in a strip mall in North Dallas- we passed by but didn't stop in. We are also from upstate NY- Kingston, to be specific. Carvel was a treat but even better than that was a place in town called Babcocks- real homemade ice cram- only available in the summer- they had the regular flavors and then each day a special flavor- like bing cherry or lemon or peach! Boy, that was the best ice cream ever!
    fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/04/27 12:52:14 (permalink)
    Yes, Carvel is very good, Long Island has many. I'm always ordering an ice cream cake from there.
    Our family really enjoys the ice cream sandwiches called FLYING SAUCERS.

Naxet76, you may like the "Bonnets" they have, different flavored ice cream on a cone, frozen, covered in frozen chocolate. Ask for a "STRAWBERRY BONNET".
    mjsneddon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/05/25 14:32:16 (permalink)
    I did not know that Carvel was still a going concern. We had one in my hometown of Galesburg, Illinois but it has been gone for a very long time. I saw a few of them in New Jersey while serving in the military (late 1960s, early 70s).

I liked the huge ice cream cone that was atop their building. It was slanted and looked somewhat precarious. Neat.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Carvel ice cream 2007/05/30 22:50:38 (permalink)
    Seen them all over Florida...I love their waffle cones with soft serve chocolate....
    Heres the locater...
    http://www.carvel.com/store_locator/locator.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1