The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Carver's Orchard

Sundancer7

Carver's Orchard Sun, 11/2/03 5:30 PM (permalink)
My mother "Mamaw" and I had lunch with "The mayor", Janet, his beautiful wife and his new son "McDuff" which is a great sleepy dog. We had lunch at Carver's Orchard which is a beautiful place located at the base of the Smokey Mountains. They have a huge orchard of apples which they sell at their market. It is a unique place where they sell not only their apples, but all their other products such as fruit, jams, jellies, vegetables, hot fried pies and everthing else.

We had lunch at their restaurant which has a huge 150 foot long window overlooking their orchard and the mountain which adjoins it. The Mayor and I had their grilled pork chops and country ham with slaw, green beans, country apples, apple fritters, real apple cider, apple butter and their apple rolls. Mamaw and Janet had their catfish which I sampled. Sweet, cornbread covered catfish which was as mild as I had ever had.

After the lunch, we went to their bakery where Al, Janet, Mamaw, McDuff and I shared a dozen of their fried pies. I think Al and Janet bought some bargin butternut squash and some apples. I bought Mamaw a bushel of winesap apples and a small portion of Arkansas Black and Golden Delicious. Mamaw will use the apples for apple butter and perhaps dry a few.

It was a great experience to visit with our moderator and his wonderful supportive wife Janet plus their new addition to the family "McDuff"

May God bless this wonderful family and it was my fortune to be with such wonderful people. The weather was perfect, the leaves were beautiful, the location was super and unfortunately we were not able to sample some spirits of the moonshine capital of the USA in Cosby, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
    RE: Carver's Orchard Sun, 11/2/03 7:58 PM (permalink)
    Sounds like you all had a beautiful day and ate well! Sundancer, I don't know how you and the Mayor polished off all that food but it sounds wonderful. Thanks for telling about it. I love hearing the stories about fellow Roadfooders getting together. We're looking forward to lunch with Mayhaw (and anyone else there on that day) in New Orleans!!!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Carver's Orchard Mon, 11/3/03 8:29 AM (permalink)
      Wonderful, Sundancer! Thanks for the report. That sounds like a perfect place to eat in the fall! The food and the view...

I'm jealous you got to meet little McDuff before I did...

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
        RE: Carver's Orchard Mon, 11/3/03 12:13 PM (permalink)
        Sundancer: How about some pictures??

Sundancer7

RE: Carver's Orchard Mon, 11/3/03 1:43 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by lleechef

Sundancer: How about some pictures??

The "Mayor" did some digital shots which I suppose he will make available upon his return to Indiana. Beautiful folksy place and its locale cannot be duplicated. Situated directly as the base of the Smoky Mountains yields outstanding views all the time.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com