Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit

Author
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
2014/02/06 09:23:33 (permalink)

Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit

I've been watching the show Justified, and Boyd Crowder's fiance Ava, who's about to get out of prison, says she wants to go out to eat the next morning upon release.

Boyd asks if she wants a cat head or tenderloin biscuit.  We've made cat head biscuits (saw them on an episode of Cook's Country) but I'd never heard of tenderloin biscuits.

Here is what I found:

http://addapinch.com/cooking/2012/02/08/southern-tenderloin-biscuits-recipe/#axzz2sYAng4g3

Here's the recipe for cat head biscuits from Cook's Country:

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/5906-cat-head-biscuits

And Ava's response to the biscuit question was "Scattered, smothered AND covered".

10 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 09:37:37 (permalink)
    I go to the Carolinas a lot and always stop at Flo's in Wilson (just off I-95 east of Raleigh) for a cat head and tenderloin. They are actually pretty common all over the South and I think even Bojangle's sells them or used to. I like the mom and pops better, though.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/flos-kitchen-wilson?nb=1

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 10:46:01 (permalink)
    Kitty speaks and says, "No, no, no!  I don't wanna go to the Waffle House!!" 
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 12:02:40 (permalink)
    It seems to me you're making a distinction that doesn't exist. A tenderloin biscuit is nothing but a biscuit with a pork tenderloin cutlet sandwiched within, just as a sausage biscuit is a biscuit with a slice of sausage.

A cathead biscuit is a description of a big ol drop biscuit that some describe as "as big as a cat's head". 

There are many recipes used for homemade biscuits. whether they be cathead biscuits or rolled biscuits used in making a breakfast biscuit sammich with sausage, bacon, egg, tenderloin or many other choices.Ive had tenderloin on a cathead biscuit and I've had tenderloin on a rolled homemade biscuit and I've had tenderloin on a canned biscuit. All three are tenderloin biscuits.

As someone who has lived in the Lexington/Harlan County corridor most of my life, I find that the writers of Justified insert lines in an attempt to inject a redneck/countrified comment where one isn't really needed. The tenderloin versus cathead biscuit line is one of those examples.
    post edited by jman - 2014/02/06 12:04:25
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 12:43:22 (permalink)
    jman

It seems to me you're making a distinction that doesn't exist. A tenderloin biscuit is nothing but a biscuit with a pork tenderloin cutlet sandwiched within, just as a sausage biscuit is a biscuit with a slice of sausage....

As someone who has lived in the Lexington/Harlan County corridor most of my life, I find that the writers of Justified insert lines in an attempt to inject a redneck/countrified comment where one isn't really needed. The tenderloin versus cathead biscuit line is one of those examples.
    After clicking the yelp link from Pancho's post, I saw that you could indeed have a tenderloin on a cat head biscuit.

Curse that psuedo-redneck Boyd Crowder.   I did enjoy seeing a Street-Sweeper used by one of the bad guys.  And thank goodness there really IS an Elmer T Lee Bourbon.

And Ava's "scattered smothered covered" remark was truly a non-sequiter.
    post edited by eruby - 2014/02/06 12:44:47
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 21:10:49 (permalink)
    jman

A tenderloin biscuit is nothing but a biscuit with a pork tenderloin cutlet sandwiched within, just as a sausage biscuit is a biscuit with a slice of sausage.

Clearly this depends on where you're from.

I can promise you that if you order a tenderloin biscuit in Eastern North Carolina you are not going to receive a mundane cutlet simply sandwiched within a biscuit. 

What you're going to receive is a fried tenderloin that's been sitting in a pot of gravy waiting to be tenderly placed inside a hot biscuit.  Can be messy to eat, but completely worth it. 

Sort of like this.  I like mine sans the egg & cheese.  Gimmie the loin & gravy!

post edited by JayL - 2014/02/06 21:13:45
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 22:21:15 (permalink)
    lleechef

Kitty speaks and says, "No, no, no!  I don't wanna go to the Waffle House!!" 

Well, your Bella told me this morning as I was leaving for the Waffle House that she wanted me to bring her a slice of country ham and some hash browns scattered, smothered, peppered and topped.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/02/06 22:23:22
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/06 22:43:20 (permalink)
    JayL

jman

A tenderloin biscuit is nothing but a biscuit with a pork tenderloin cutlet sandwiched within, just as a sausage biscuit is a biscuit with a slice of sausage.

Clearly this depends on where you're from.

I can promise you that if you order a tenderloin biscuit in Eastern North Carolina you are not going to receive a mundane cutlet simply sandwiched within a biscuit. 

What you're going to receive is a fried tenderloin that's been sitting in a pot of gravy waiting to be tenderly placed inside a hot biscuit.  Can be messy to eat, but completely worth it. 

Sort of like this.  I like mine sans the egg & cheese.  Gimmie the loin & gravy!

I never used the word mundane in describing a tenderloin biscuit. My point was simple.  A cathead biscuit is just a large drop biscuit. A tenderloin biscuit is a tenderloin biscuit, regardless of how the tenderloin is prepared or how the biscuit is made, is a tenderloin in a biscuit. I'm sure the tenderloin biscuit served in Eastern North Carolina is quite good, just as some of the tenderloin biscuits I've had at numerous places have been quite good also. It could be the worst tenderloin ever prepared, but when put on a biscuit, it's still a tenderloin biscuit.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2563
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/07 17:59:01 (permalink)
    jman

It seems to me you're making a distinction that doesn't exist. A tenderloin biscuit is nothing but a biscuit with a pork tenderloin cutlet sandwiched within, just as a sausage biscuit is a biscuit with a slice of sausage.

That made sense to me until Pie Diva made Cat Head biscuits for breakfast today. The recipe she used yielded biscuits that do not flake the way rolled biscuits do. So Cats Heads would not be easy to hand split and stick a piece of pork into for sandwich.

Don't doubt Eva.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/07 18:10:53 (permalink)
    I use a knife to open up drop biscuits when I make them. Except for when I want to just put honey on them. For that I do the famous Southern Thumb Trick. That's just taking your thumb and sticking it into the top of the biscuit and turning it to open up a pocket to hold the honey you pour in from the top.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Cat Head vs. Tenderloin Biscuit 2014/02/07 19:49:39 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I use a knife to open up drop biscuits when I make them. Except for when I want to just put honey on them. For that I do the famous Southern Thumb Trick. That's just taking your thumb and sticking it into the top of the biscuit and turning it to open up a pocket to hold the honey you pour in from the top.
    I tried that with my first girlfriend and got slapped.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1