Catfish Houses

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/05/10 00:34:09 (permalink)
Being from FL, I feel I need to put my 2 cents in on this one. As a royal catfish lover, let me recommend central FL to you all as a fantastic place to consume catfish. If anyone is in cetral FL (ie: Disney World, etc.) let me know and I will throw over a few suggestions.

Rich Cowell
[url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]
Atlanta_Tider
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/05/30 00:13:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by queenb

There's a very good, HUGE catfish house in Anniston Alabama...it's River Edge or Riverside, something like that (everyone in town knows!) It's very good, and so big you rarely have to wait.
Like the last few posters above, I love that fresh caught fish! I'm having fits right now because crappie season is "on" and the wind has been too dangerous for the boat, or else raining buckets every time we've had days off lately! But this week looks to have possibilities so a fish fry may not be far away!
That would be Top of the River, yes that place is great!
clemspal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/05/30 14:58:39 (permalink)
re : "Atlanta has a wondrous old-time catfish eatery - The Rio Vista on 42 Highway on Conley"

my dad & i were in the rio vista , for the 4th of july , 1979 , before going to fulton county stadium , to see some rookie make his major league debut ( wish i could tell you he turned out to be some star , but he was back on the bus by the 3rd ... ) . ANYWAY , we were always on the lookout for a catfish dinner , and as i recall , the fish at the rio vista were EXACTLY as advertised

but to this day , nowhere has come close to the old j&s fish camp , on lake ockechobee ......................all you can eat , fingerling cats , right out of the big lake .............. , those were the days .
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/06/17 13:31:03 (permalink)
I live in Gastonia, NC so I know of all the good Fish Camps here that we are fortunate to have. This Tuesday night, I went with a group to eat at one called Riverside (borders the South Fork River). I had the Senior Platter of Catfish-I prefer the bone in -they offer bone in and filet. My plate had about 9-10 pieces of catfish, a baked potato,
hushpuppies and a side dish of coleslaw for 6.50. We have so many different ones to choose from, it is hard to choose or to decide which one is the best
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
There are a slew of fish camps in the Gastonia, North Carolina area. This is some sort of a tradition there (akin to livermush, which got its commercial start in Shelby, 20 miles or so west).
In this vicinity, there are quite a few catfish places, but I haven't been lucky enough to be dragged to any as of yet. I will report back when I find something.
Atlanta has a wondrous old-time catfish eatery - The Rio Vista on 42 Highway on Conley. It's only a skip outside I-285, heading south toward Macon, out in the midst of all the truck terminals. It's not only most Sternable, it's nearly as quaint as Pilgreen's Steak House in S/W Atlanta ever was. If any of y'all go, see if they'll light their huge neon sign for you so you can get a photo: it still works. Unlike me, anymore than I have to.
Not Johnny-Come-Filetly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I have no bone to pick with anyone (the old Rio Vista ads read "Come pick a bone with us.").
southernfive
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/08/08 00:03:21 (permalink)
I could use some suggestions on good fried catfish in the Baltimore-DC corridor. We moved here last year from Kentucky and haven't found any good catfish yet.

I'm especially looking for an all you can eat catfish place.

Southernfive
BigFella
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/08/11 10:34:13 (permalink)
There are a couple of great catfish places in Guntersville Alabama:

1) Crawmama's
2) Top O the River

This place is at the headwaters of the Tennesee River and a hotbed of activity when it comes to fishing and fun
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/09/07 18:06:22 (permalink)
Two excellent catfish houses have not yet been mentioned. The Cypress Inn is on a lake a few miles NE of Bossier City off of Airline Drive. Signs along Airline Drive make it easy to find. Whenever we are in Shreveport, my thoughts turn to the Cypress Inn. In Biscoe, Arkansas - midway between Memphis and Little Rock - at Exit 202 is a wonderful place for catfish. I don't recall the name, but Biscoe is two miles south of I-40. Turn left (east) for two miles to the last right before the Cache River. Turn right and go about 300 yards. Order inside, then walk to the covered pier and await the arrival of your piping hot catfish, hushpuppies, fries, etc. They are only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for lunch and dinner.
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/09/09 16:06:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigFella

There are a couple of great catfish places in Guntersville Alabama:

1) Crawmama's
2) Top O the River

This place is at the headwaters of the Tennesee River and a hotbed of activity when it comes to fishing and fun

The headwaters of the Tennessee are much further north, in Tennessee actually. The French Broad (Don't ask how it got its name) and the Holston Rivers join at Marbleton just east of Knoxville to form the mighty Tennessee. Catfish places are found all along the river from there to where it empties into the Ohio. There are a couple of particularly good ones near the Shiloh battlefield in lower west Tennessee.
cleveland66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/09/09 16:21:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Milt

Two excellent catfish houses have not yet been mentioned. The Cypress Inn is on a lake a few miles NE of Bossier City off of Airline Drive. Signs along Airline Drive make it easy to find. Whenever we are in Shreveport, my thoughts turn to the Cypress Inn.

Milt: I went to highschool in Shreveport (I live about 65 miles east now, in Ruston), and have eaten at the Cypress Inn approximately 1000 times . I've never had a bad catfish dinner there. A little further west on I-20 there's an outfit called Jan's (it's between Shreveport proper, and Greenwood, LA). If you're ever heading in that direction, follow the signs. They're grade A , as well.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/11/25 20:46:23 (permalink)
There's a great roadfood place technicly in Bristol, VA. It's called the Hillbilly Deli, on State St. One side is VA, the other is TN. It's a deli type place but I highly recommend the catfish as being superb.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/11/27 15:16:03 (permalink)
I am by no means a catfish officianado, but on my last trip through Austin, TX, we stopped at a place called the Catfish Parlour on 183 (I think?), somewhat near the airport. I found their catfish to be quite good and plentiful in a serving. The hushpuppies were also out of this world. I know TX is more of a BBQ locale, but this a tasty diversion.

Steve
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/11/27 15:54:54 (permalink)
This following place has 2 strikes against it, A Chain....and a Chain that has gone under in this area... but whenever we visited it over the years it had Outstanding Catfish, both Filets, and Whole fish. They fried it in a batter that did have some cornmeal in it, but it was more like a batter than the gritty coarse grind corn-meal.
The place was "Po' Folks". I visited on in Buena Park,CA once and it was a disaster...but those in the Louisville & E-town KY area were great. Their CFS was pretty darn good too. They went under in this area about 6 years ago, but I think they have been mentioned by others out of this area.
You could never go wrong with the Catfish and dirty rice.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/11/27 16:17:07 (permalink)
Wasn't Burt Reynolds the actor a part owner in Po Folks. Beleive they went bankrupt some years ago.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/11/28 20:50:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Wasn't Burt Reynolds the actor a part owner in Po Folks. Beleive they went bankrupt some years ago.

Carlton,
"Whispering" Bill Anderson was the originator of Po' Folks, after his song of the same name - and his Po' Folks Band.
Apparently the stores in these parts are now known as Folks. Someone mentioned that there still were Po' Folks where they lived; this may have to do with a franchise reorganization or a gazillion other factors.
Can't recall I've ever eaten at one: there's too many good independently-owned eateries around here for me to bother with chains most of the time.
Fishing For Complements (As In Something To Finish Off With), Ort. Carlton in As-Grammatically-Correct-As-Possible Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I second the comments about the unchanging Rio Vista on 42 Highway in Conley, Georgia. This is indeed a Most Sternable establishment. Y'all need to go pick a bone with them sometime. You'll thank me. It may even beat Pilgreen's for sheer decor.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/11/28 21:23:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemaxx

Being from FL, I feel I need to put my 2 cents in on this one. As a royal catfish lover, let me recommend central FL to you all as a fantastic place to consume catfish. If anyone is in cetral FL (ie: Disney World, etc.) let me know and I will throw over a few suggestions.

Rich Cowell
All right, you're on!

I do the Orlando > Sebring and Orlando > Daytona four or five times each spring. How about throwing over those suggestions now?
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Catfish Houses 2004/12/22 12:39:01 (permalink)
Best catfish is at the Outrigger in PALACIOS, TX and at Vernon's Kuntry Katfish in CONROE, TX. Good catfish is better than candy!
Threefingers
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/01/31 13:17:29 (permalink)
The absolute best Catfish place in the midwest is
Catfish Kettle
775 Weber Rd
Farmington, MO
573-756-7305
I visit it often and have driven as much as 300 miles to dine there! It's that good. Always the same fine quality and taste.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/03/14 23:35:37 (permalink)
I have eaten at both the Catfish Hotel and the Riverview. Both are superb but I have to give the nod to the Catfish Hotel. It was rated one of the top 10 catfish restaurants in America, and I can see why. However its being about two hours from Nashville and Ashland City being only 20 minutes away I go to the Riverview more often.

Ashland City had another catfish/meat & 3 that was really good called Bill's Catfish but it closed in 2002 (a big local scandal). I think it may have re-opened in Joelton but I'm not certain it's the same guy as I have not visited the Joelton location.

CatfishCC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/03/17 16:16:04 (permalink)
Anybody know of a catfish place in Beebe, Arkansas?
pseiler
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/03/18 11:42:30 (permalink)
I've tried many, but Middendorf's in Louisiana for catfish is still the best. It's about 45 minutes NW of New Orleans on I-55, right on Lake Maurepas at Pass Manchac...you can't miss it from the elevated interstate. The catfish is sliced extremely thin, fried to a greaseless perfection & comes with the perfect coleslaw on the side. And the tartar sauce is wonderful as well. It's been there for generations and still draws people from New Orleans on a regular basis. Actually, it's hard to go wrong with anything on the menu. The boiled crabs and crawfish, (in season,) are spicy, juicy and as fresh as it comes, having been caught right outside their doors.
CatfishCC
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/03/22 00:09:16 (permalink)
or -- anybody know of a catfish place in Alabama named Anchor?
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/04/21 14:45:40 (permalink)
I got to eat at Vernon's Kountry Katfish recently, and thought I'd write more of a review.
It is in Conroe, TX, nearly to Montgomery on 105.
It is a rambling place full of families, nearly any time we go. Our group was large, and service was excellent, all the food came out at once.
Best on the menu is their fried, cornmeal-crusted thin filets of catfish, either 4 or 6 to a dinner, with choice of salad or slaw and fries or green beans. Small, somewhat dry but very tasty oniony hush puppies and tomato relish are served before each meal.
I tasted a fried oyster someone had, and it was fresh tasting, fairly small, batter crusted. It was very good, but that catfish is hard to resist.
None of us had room for dessert. They serve several pies includine one made with fruit and cream cheese that looks wonderful.
lobster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/04/25 18:20:24 (permalink)
I have only eaten at the Catfish Kettle in Farmington, Mo. It was wonderful! All you can eat catfish, chicken strips, hushpupies, fries, and coleslaw. When I was in the area for about 2 weeks our crew ate there several times. We ate too much each time. It was also very inexpensive as I remember.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/04/28 14:58:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemaxx

Rich Cowell
All right, you're on!

I do the Orlando > Sebring and Orlando > Daytona four or five times each spring. How about throwing over those suggestions now?

This question wasn't directed at me, but I just ate last night at a restaurant in St. Cloud, right on the 192 corridor, called The Catfish Place. The fish was delicious and plentiful. I think a dinner, which was served with choice of potato and slaw was around $12. For an extra dollar you can upgrade to "all you can eat"....and you don't need to decide until you want more! Personally, I am a pretty good sized fellow, and could eat no more than they served, but I imagine a guy who made preparations to do so could do a little damage in there.

This is no fine dining experience, but you will see the parking littered with cars driven by businessmen and pickups driven by the loud and proud Florida Redneck.

Two thumbs up.

Steve
CCBAMA21
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/04/29 14:16:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CatfishCC

or -- anybody know of a catfish place in Alabama named Anchor?

If you mean The Ark, its in Riverside, Al off I-20 near Pell City.

Wow, what a great thread! I have eaten at sevearl places mentioned in this thread, like Top O'The River in Anniston (also a great location of same in Gadsden), Jerry's in Miss, and the Catfish House in AL.

One I have not seen mentioned yet is an old favorite in the Barnesville, GA area, off Hwy 36: The Country Kitchen. If you like 'em on the bone, this place is for you. And they offer the sweet cole slaw that melts in your mouth, like the fish.

Others of note from my experience are Catfish Haven in Russellville, AL, Perry's Catfish in Corner, AL, and Red Top in Blountsville, AL.

CCBAMA21
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/04/29 14:36:31 (permalink)
Oh yes, one more: Rubin's in Columbus, MS...
CatfishCC
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/04/30 03:26:05 (permalink)
That was it, CCBAMA21, The Ark. I had the name wrong. Thanks for your help!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8074
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/05/03 02:01:51 (permalink)
First place I ever had catfish was at Kuntry Katfish in CONROE, TX and I was hooked! But there isn't good catfish anywhere in Los Angeles.

The last place I had really great catfish was at WINDY'S CATFISH It's just across Denison Dam in Cartwright, OK. Delicious! While waiting for them to fry your catfish they serve an absolutely delicious sweet pickled green tomato relish and crackers that I've not been able to find anywhere.

It's about 90+ miles North of Dallas on I75.

Don't miss it if anywhere in the vicinity.
CCBAMA21
Junior Burger
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/05/03 09:43:28 (permalink)
Yet another few, though fair warning, this first ones a buffet:

Abbeville Catfish, just outside Oxford, MS.

And a brand new one: Chuck's Catfifsh House, Tuscaloosa, Al, which replaced a long standing chain location of Ezell's Catfish. Ezell's is all around the SE.

There is one in Athens, Ala I have been longing to try but have not yet: Catfish Cabin.

CC
shmuelio
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Catfish Houses 2005/05/06 11:52:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

Missed this topic too. If you are ever in Dallas, Check out Top Cat. Good fish, little breading, good hushpuppies and excellent fries. I think there are two or three locations in town. I go to the one on Lemmon Ave. Near by on Lemmon is the "Prince of Hamburgers" that's a drive in with curb service that's been around since the '30's. Both Top Cat and Prince's are near Love Field airport.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1