The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Catfish Place in Camden, TN

markobop

• Total Posts: 2
Catfish Place in Camden, TN Tue, 01/13/09 10:08 PM (permalink)
This is my first post here, so I hope I'm doing things right.  This afternoon I ate at a great catfish restaurant in Camden, Tennessee, called The Catfish Place.  I was in the area on business, and the restaurant looked like a good place to stop for lunch.

They offer catfish fillets and whole fish (called "fiddlers" there).  I got the catfish plate, which had two whole catfish -- they also offer a dinner with three fish.  For $7.19 plus tax, the plate included sides of beans, cole slaw (you're choice of vinegar- or mayo-based), turnip greens, a potato (baked or FF), 3 large hushpuppies, sliced onions, two whole fish, and slew of lemon wedges.  Drinks are extra.  Everything was good, and the catfish were large (maybe 12-13") and very moist/tender. 

The Catfish Place is on the main drag through town, at 201 Highway 641 N., Camden, in West Tennessee.  That puts it about 12 miles north of the freeway (I-40), and about 14 miles south of Paris, TN.  Sort of in the middle of nowhere... :-)

Anyway, I've often enjoyed reading these forums, especially when I'm going to be traveling.  I did a search and didn't see anything about this place, so I thought I would add a note.

Regards, Mark

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Tue, 01/13/09 11:14 PM (permalink)

Thanks for the report, Mark. AND  Welcome to Roadfood. We hope you'll add more posts about places you try as time goes on.
    AL

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
      Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Wed, 01/14/09 12:24 AM (permalink)
      Yes, welcome aboard. I love fried catfish. I won't eat it any other way but fried. And, It's usually, especially good in places that specialize in it. Like the place that "markobop" mentioned above.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
        Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Wed, 01/14/09 4:43 AM (permalink)
        In the middle of nowhere? paris is home to the worlds biggest fish fry!

Welcome to roadfood.

Attached Image(s)

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Wed, 01/14/09 1:34 PM (permalink)
          Great to have you on board, Mark.What a fabulous sounding meal....and the price is incredible.You are on the right track-keep you reviews coming!

markobop

• Total Posts: 2
            Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Wed, 01/14/09 6:46 PM (permalink)
            RibRater

Welcome to roadfood.

LOL.  Yeah, I was actually on business in Paris.  There's apparently a good number of catfish restuarants around the area, as well as the World's Biggest Fish Fry in the spring.  It's still in the middle of nowhere if you ask me... :-)

Thanks for the welcome, folks.  Around the Knoxville area, my wife & I like to go to Allison's Catfish Farm & Restaurant, about 5 miles west of Maryville.  It's only open on Friday & Saturday nights Spring-Summer-Fall.  Also great catfish, but a little pricey for what you get.  I've seen it mentioned here a number of times.

Mark

Sundancer7

Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Wed, 01/14/09 7:26 PM (permalink)
              markobop

RibRater

Welcome to roadfood.

LOL.  Yeah, I was actually on business in Paris.  There's apparently a good number of catfish restuarants around the area, as well as the World's Biggest Fish Fry in the spring.  It's still in the middle of nowhere if you ask me... :-)

Thanks for the welcome, folks.  Around the Knoxville area, my wife & I like to go to Allison's Catfish Farm & Restaurant, about 5 miles west of Maryville.  It's only open on Friday & Saturday nights Spring-Summer-Fall.  Also great catfish, but a little pricey for what you get.  I've seen it mentioned here a number of times.

Mark

I have been to Allison's many times.  Like your other catfish, it is in the middle on no place but a bery beautiful setting.

The Allisons are very well known for their racing boats which have won a portion of the Orange Bowl Regatta.  They fell on hard times during the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville which apparently some of their investments did not work out but they still do well.

you are correct as their catfish is a bit pricey but it is very good and their pie is very good and the setting cannot be beat.

Paul E. Smith
              knoxville, TN

Rockbeast

• Total Posts: 44
                Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Sat, 01/31/09 12:19 AM (permalink)
                I've been to Allisons too!  You are right about the setting, very pleasant to wander around while waiting for your table.  I have visited the former Crosseyed Cricket (in Paw Paw Plains, between I-40 and Lenoir City, about 20 miles west of Knoxville) many times over the years and it was a similar place.  I think it's been closed for about 3 or 4 years now, but I always enjoyed the catfish 'steaks' and blackbottom pie!  Allisons reminds me of Crosseyed Cricket but has a bit more decor.  But does Allison's have an authentic grist mill to grind the corn meal used to fry the fish?  I can't remember.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                  Re:Catfish Place in Camden, TN Tue, 04/20/10 8:53 PM (permalink)
                  RibRater

Welcome to roadfood.
                  At the risk of copying someone else' efforts: http://www.worldsbiggestfishfry.com/
                  I expect a report, as I'm Polish, a lapsed Roman Catholic, and from Milwaukee, WI, all of which are famous for fish fries.
                  <message edited by Big Ugly Mich on Tue, 04/20/10 8:55 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com