Catfish in Milwaukee?

Author
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 940
2009/01/15 17:16:53 (permalink)

Catfish in Milwaukee?

In a year-long "discussion" with a non-Roadfooder, I've been told that there is really good, Wisconsin-caught Catfish to be found in Milwaukee and/or Wisconsin.

I disagree for two reasons -

1. I've had Catfish in Louisiana and Tennessee
2. I've had Catfish once here in Milwaukee - at Barnacle Bud's - and it was terrible.

So, in the interest of giving him a fair shot - can any of the WI Roadfood crew chime in and let me know a good place in Milwaukee and/or somewhere else in WI that had good Catfish?

Thanks.

15 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 18:46:59 (permalink)
    X1

.........can any of the WI Roadfood crew chime in and let me know a good place in Milwaukee and/or somewhere else in WI that had good Catfish?

Thanks.

Perkins Family Restaurant

Crawdaddy's

Maxie's Southern Comfort

Bayou

That's Amore (Wednesdays)

Club Timbuktu

Singha Thai (probably not what you're looking for though)

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 18:55:27 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

X1

.........can any of the WI Roadfood crew chime in and let me know a good place in Milwaukee and/or somewhere else in WI that had good Catfish?

Thanks.

Perkins Family Restaurant

Crawdaddy's

Maxie's Southern Comfort

Bayou

That's Amore (Wednesdays)

Club Timbuktu

Singha Thai (probably not what you're looking for though)

Now Mike - I could have looked up places that served Catfish on my own.
    I want PERSONAL opinions. I daresay you haven't been to Perkins for Catfish. I mean - PERKINS?! I can't believe you even suggested it. ROFL

Also - do any off those places serve WISCONSIN-CAUGHT Catfish? As this is the whole crux of the biscuit between him and I.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 19:59:34 (permalink)
    Perkins is a soul food restaurant at 2001 W. Atkinson Ave. that I have been to. I think a Saturday visit should be our future. It's hard for me to not order the smothered pork chops if they have them the day we go.

I can't imagine anyone prefering Wisconsin (or Illinois, Minnesota or Michigan) catfish to Arkansas or Mississippi farm raised corn-fed catfish. River cats have a muddy taste that I never acquired but some old timers feel strongly that that is the better taste. No thanks. Give me corn fed beef and corn fed catfish anytime.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 20:07:15 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

Perkins is a soul food restaurant at 2001 W. Atkinson Ave. that I have been to. I think a Saturday visit should be our future. It's hard for me to not order the smothered pork chops if they have them the day we go.

I can't imagine anyone prefering Wisconsin (or Illinois, Minnesota or Michigan) catfish to Arkansas or Mississippi farm raised corn-fed catfish. River cats have a muddy taste that I never acquired but some old timers feel strongly that that is the better taste. No thanks. Give me corn fed beef and corn fed catfish anytime.

Ohhh.....not the chain, then! LOL
    Sure. I'm up for a visit. You know I am.

Well, I don't know, either. The whole discussion is that Wisconsin has just as good, if not better, Catfish than Louisiana. I disagreed, and got attacked (and am still getting snide comments) for my disagreement.

So, my quest is to find good WI Catfish, as he claims there are "lots" of places that serve it, but can't actually name any for me. Heh.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 20:18:19 (permalink)
    In Ferryville Wisconsin, just south of De Soto and across the Mississippi River from Lansing Iowa, a fella makes real Wisconsin catfish jerky. It may be the best jerky I ever had. If you weren't told it was catfish, you'd have guessed it was terriyaki whole muscle beef jerky. That's the only Wisconsin catfish I enjoy.
    p.s. X1, I'm surprised you'd think I'd eat at a chain.
    Her's Luke Hilgeman and his 41# Lake Wisconsin cat! There's a couple of plates out of that puppy!

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 20:24:21 (permalink)
    Well, you said "Perkins". How am I to know that there's a place that shares the name of a chain? I WAS surprised you mentioned it, for that very reason!
    Don't confuse me, man. I only have a limited amount of brain cells.

I'd try Catfish jerky. Sounds good!
    Roadtrip this summer?

stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/15 22:49:30 (permalink)
    lol i would pay good money to see MFL eat at Perkins of the huge muffin fame.

Maxie's, baby. Maxie's. Everything there is good. I do not know where they caught the fish they serve, as I had the BBQ'd Tofu. It was awesome, as were the crawfish appetizers & remoulade.

I am not sure it would compare to Louisiana fish & mudbugs, but it's worth a shot. They have an upstairs & a bar.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/16 06:24:24 (permalink)
    stricken_detective

lol i would pay good money to see MFL eat at Perkins of the huge muffin fame.

Maxie's, baby. Maxie's. Everything there is good. I do not know where they caught the fish they serve, as I had the BBQ'd Tofu. It was awesome, as were the crawfish appetizers & remoulade.

I am not sure it would compare to Louisiana fish & mudbugs, but it's worth a shot. They have an upstairs & a bar.

I've been to Maxie's a few times. It's OK - there are a couple things I like, but nothing I love. The MFLs are not fond of it at all. I think ChuckL50 thought it was OK, as well.
    I think they're pricing is a bit steep, as well.
    If I want far more authentic Southern/Louisiana food, it's Crawdaddy's all the way.

Next time I go to either of these places, I'll have to ask if the Catfish is local.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/01/16 09:22:00 (permalink)
    Oh, definately go to Perkins.Its an experience in food. Maybe i will crawl out from under my rock one of these days and join you....
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 645
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/03/29 21:21:29 (permalink)
    X1, have you talked to the folks at St. Paul Fish Co.? I'm pretty sure (though not positive) that I've seen Wisconsin Catfish for sale at the retail counter. They can (and do) prepare all fish there for on-site eating, so maybe they whip up a good Wisconsin Catfish?
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/03/30 00:51:36 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

I generally have to agree on both counts. Mississippi or other southern pond raised catfish is superior to any northern catfish I have tried. If in Wisconsin I tend to think of more local fish-whietfish and walleye and perch that is unique. And I have never found most river raised catfish with its muddier flavor preferable. Until one meal in a totally mediocre motel restaurant in Mississippi chosen because it was the only thing we could find open at three PM for lunch. Everything everone got was typical and average coffee shop food- frozen fries and burgers, lackluster service, etc. Except the special was local catfish and I was urged to try it and it was the best catfish i ever ate! With a flavor and texture missing in the farm raised varieties. Unfortunatley that means I have eaten some truly muddy catfish trying to duplicate that expereince and now mostly stick to the farm raised.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/03/30 06:41:50 (permalink)
    quijote

X1, have you talked to the folks at St. Paul Fish Co.? I'm pretty sure (though not positive) that I've seen Wisconsin Catfish for sale at the retail counter. They can (and do) prepare all fish there for on-site eating, so maybe they whip up a good Wisconsin Catfish?

I've never heard of this place - it's in Milwaukee? Where?

Smokestack Lightning - I've had the "muddy" variety of Catfish several times in Louisiana, and I like it. I'm not saying it's better than farm raised, as each have their good and bad points, but I will definitively say that the Catfish down South is better than up North.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/03/30 06:47:07 (permalink)
    The St. Paul Fish Company is in the Milwaukee Public Market.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/03/30 06:51:58 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

Ah, that explains it. I've never been in the MPM.
    Thanks, FL!

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 645
    Re:Catfish in Milwaukee? 2009/03/30 09:37:03 (permalink)
    X1

MilwFoodlovers

Ah, that explains it. I've never been in the MPM.
    Thanks, FL!

Just in case you want to call first, their phone number is 414-220-8383. It's worth going there anyway--they have a great oyster bar. The market in general is interesting and worth visiting.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1