Catskills weekend, part TWO .. ..

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/24 14:18:17 (permalink)
Ellen,

I am reminded of a book that was a fun read when I read it many years ago ... I just Googled it:

http://www.amazon.ca/Taking-Woodstock-True-Story-Concert/dp/0757002935

... it isn't the cover I remember, but there can't be two books with the same obtuse theme.

I didn't see it in your collection.

nordmann
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/24 18:10:51 (permalink)
Thanks again for even more great posting on an area few know much about, but which deserves a lot more attention than it gets. There is certainly a whole lot of really good food to be had in the Mid-Hudson region. In fact, on a per-capita basis, I've never seen anything like the concentration of great places to eat in any part of the U.S. that exists there. You can walk right in and pick your table on a Friday night at 7:00. Most other regions I've been to or lived in anywhere in the U.S. have table waits of 45 minutes on a Friday night--and that would be to get into a stinkin' TGI's!

Speaking of good food in the Hudson Valley, the Garlic Festival is being held this weekend at the Ulster County Fair Grounds. Go if you can. Many of the region's top chefs will be on hand (and that's *really* saying something). Many of the region's countless artisanal cheesemakers, vintners, and farmers will be there. Chef Ric Orlando will be on hand with his famous pan-blackened string beans with spicy remoulade to show you that food that is so delicious you'll never forget it as long as you live can also be *gasp* good for you. Although the emphasis here (as elsewhere in the region) will tend to be on locally-produced organic ingredients and what you can do with them, there is also plenty of no-holds-barred, artery-clogging sin food, too. Ever try garlic ice cream? You'd be surprised. There is a very good reason why the line for it is one of the longest at the whole festival every year.
nordmann
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/24 18:31:56 (permalink)
Did you know that there are web sites of pictures of places like Grossingers and The Pines?

Here are some pages:

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/grossinger_resorts.htm
http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/the_pines.htm

Whenever I see pictures like those, I think of all the people who have had honeymoons and family reunions there, and who have happy memories of those places. But now they just look so ghastly, like something left behind after a nuclear apocalypse.

You know, in Europe, they take care of their stuff instead of just abandoning it as soon as it becomes more profitable to go somewhere else to make money. It's no wonder so many Americans talk about feeling a sense of emptiness and alienation. How can you not feel disconnected when you can't go back to your favorite childhood places while the town where you grew up has been either devastated by a nearby regional mall or replaced by one built right on top of it?
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/25 16:52:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Great report Ellen!
But yet, it is amazing how so many small towns fall victim to disrepair and disarray.
Must make lots of people feel sad when they come "home" for a visit.
Reminds me of the saying, "You can never go home again".. It's true in many cases.
But I find it odd that the Hassidic Jews have migrated to there.

hi Rooossy90! nice hearing from you again...!

yes, it is often the case that one can NOT "go home again"....
sad, but true

The Hasidic Jews were able to buy the land cheap, and took over many of those bungalow colonies and hotels that had seen better days..

it is mostly just a summer retreat for them, from Brooklyn, NYC, etc...... most of the hamlets , like Woodbourne, are mostly ghost towns in the winter..

the place in Monticello I had my good schwarma from said they close right after Labor Day...

a few "yeshivas" are open all year, with children from NYC , etc going up to study at the real religious schools
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/25 22:58:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nordmann

Thanks again for even more great posting on an area few know much about, but which deserves a lot more attention than it gets. There is certainly a whole lot of really good food to be had in the Mid-Hudson region. In fact, on a per-capita basis, I've never seen anything like the concentration of great places to eat in any part of the U.S. that exists there. You can walk right in and pick your table on a Friday night at 7:00. Most other regions I've been to or lived in anywhere in the U.S. have table waits of 45 minutes on a Friday night--and that would be to get into a stinkin' TGI's!

Speaking of good food in the Hudson Valley, the Garlic Festival is being held this weekend at the Ulster County Fair Grounds. Go if you can. Many of the region's top chefs will be on hand (and that's *really* saying something). Many of the region's countless artisanal cheesemakers, vintners, and farmers will be there. Chef Ric Orlando will be on hand with his famous pan-blackened string beans with spicy remoulade to show you that food that is so delicious you'll never forget it as long as you live can also be *gasp* good for you. Although the emphasis here (as elsewhere in the region) will tend to be on locally-produced organic ingredients and what you can do with them, there is also plenty of no-holds-barred, artery-clogging sin food, too. Ever try garlic ice cream? You'd be surprised. There is a very good reason why the line for it is one of the longest at the whole festival every year.

hi nordmann,
YES, I've had garlic ice cream a few times....at the garlic festival in Ojai , CA and at the garlic festival in Saugerties, NY..
(is the Ulster County one any relation to the Saugerties one?!? Perhaps a new location for it?!?)

thanks for letting us know that the Ulster County festival is coming up this weekend...
I've been running around on my days off, so I think I'll just relax this Sunday.... (but maybe next year I'll go!)

ellen

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/25 23:08:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nordmann

Did you know that there are web sites of pictures of places like Grossingers and The Pines?

Here are some pages:

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/grossinger_resorts.htm
http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/the_pines.htm

Whenever I see pictures like those, I think of all the people who have had honeymoons and family reunions there, and who have happy memories of those places. But now they just look so ghastly, like something left behind after a nuclear apocalypse.

You know, in Europe, they take care of their stuff instead of just abandoning it as soon as it becomes more profitable to go somewhere else to make money. It's no wonder so many Americans talk about feeling a sense of emptiness and alienation. How can you not feel disconnected when you can't go back to your favorite childhood places while the town where you grew up has been either devastated by a nearby regional mall or replaced by one built right on top of it?

Yes, I have explored and love those websites...(I've even signed the Grossingers "guest book" at the www.joe4speed.com website...lots of former employees and hotel guests have signed the guest book online.. I've even re-connected with a few people , like Gina, a former front desk gal from Elmira. She lives in North Carolina now, and we've been sending nice e-mails back and forth. Have'nt seen her since 1980! (since I was a cocktail waitress at Grossingers. )

I also like the website www.classiccatskills.com..

and for shopping malls, I like www.deadmalls.com...(a bittersweet website)

yes, it's a shame that it is so tough to "go back home" again..
lots of good stuff gets torn down... land gets too valuable, and developers buy it up, etc... we had a real fun place close down in the AC area, in Somers Point on the bay. It was called the "bubba mac shack"...
bands playing inside and out, good food, etc... they sold out to developers, and their new Ocean City location is very small, and seasonal..

One beautiful rare exception is my new friend . He's 60 years old, and when he visits his 91 year old mom in north Jersey, he actually stays in the same bedroom where he grew up. Pretty neat, plus I like a guy that treats his mom good!

cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/09/28 12:43:01 (permalink)
Bittersweet. Poetic, sad and beautiful.
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/10/05 18:05:17 (permalink)
Great report. I stayed at the Concord years ago, was in a golf tournament, my brother in law ran for NYC Cops and Firemen. At dinner you could say to the waiter, "I'm hankering for some Delmonicos, gimme 10, you got 10 and whatever else you wanted, I was impressed. Saw a drunk guy completely run over some poor soul with a golf cart, I was not impressed !
jkml
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Catskills weekend, part TWO .. .. 2007/10/08 09:05:59 (permalink)
I guess it was good that the Hasidic Jews moved in to some areas, or those areas might look like that sad pool. I know when I go to place I used to love, and even when they have changed for a financially better reason, I can still feel sad for what I miss. The photos you added were really appreciated. As a Midwestern child I remember reading books set in the Catskells, and wishing I could go there to see, and recently moved to the Philadelphia area, so now a trip there is definately in my future, when I am not so busy driving kids to sports and helping them with their activities and getting ready for college!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1