Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe?

Author
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
2003/12/07 09:33:33 (permalink)

Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe?

Does anyone have a good recipe for Cauliflower-Cheese soup? I had the Sheila Lukins recipe once, and made a great soup from it, but have since lost the recipe. If anyone can help, great!

PS: It's turning into soup weather here in Florida. We're going through our "fall" period while the Northeast is buried under a blanket of white stuff...

18 Replies Related Threads

Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/07 10:36:36 (permalink)
    Kristi.....

Here is one of the best Cheddar Cheese soups I have ever had. I would say you could easily add some cauliflower to this recipe. I would add when you put the other veggies in.

If you prefer a much simpler version, I have included one after the first recipe.

Enjoy!

Stogie

Cheddar Cheese Soup

3 tablespoon(s) Butter
    1 medium Onion(s), minced
    1 small Shallot(s), minced
    1 medium Carrot(s), diced
    1 small Celery, stalk(s), diced
    1 Garlic clove(s), minced
    2 tablespoon(s) Flour
    2 1/2 cup(s) Chicken stock
    2 1/2 cup(s) Half and Half
    1 Bay leaf(s)
    1 pinch Cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoon(s) Sherry, dry
    3 cup(s) Cheddar cheese, sharp, shredded
    1/2 teaspoon Thyme, dried
    Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat until foaming. Add the onion and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. (ADD CAULIFLOWER DURING THIS STEP)Add the carrot, celery, and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables, until the mixture begins to brown on the bottom of the pot, about 2 minutes.
    Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and half-and-half. Add the bay leaf and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
    Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the cayenne and sherry and allow to cool slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Slowly whisk in the cheese and thyme until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

For Smoked Cheddar Cheese with Bacon version...........
    Cut 4 bacon slices crosswise into 1/4-inch strips and fry in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Follow the recipe for Cheddar Cheese Soup (above), substituting the bacon fat in the pot for the butter; substituting 6 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (about 11/2 cups), for an equal amount of sharp cheddar cheese; and reducing sherry to 2 tablespoons.

Cream of Cauliflower and Cheese Soup

1 lb. Cauliflower, fresh
    8 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded
    8 oz. butter
    1 cup flour
    4 cups chicken stock
    4 cups Half & Half
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. white pepper

Clean and cut Cualiflower into 1/2" pieces. Steam in 1/2 cup water until tender. Do not drain. Set aside

Melt butter in sauce pan, add flour to make a roux. Cook for 2-4 minutes. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil. Turn heat to low. Add cauliflower, cheese, Half & Half and salt and pepper. Heat but do not boil.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/07 11:12:13 (permalink)
    This is a quickie version:

CAULIFLOWER-CHEDDAR CHOWDER

1 cup fresh cauliflower florets
    1 cup water
    1 package Knorr’s Cream of Leek Soup
    3 cups milk (I use 1% fat)
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Put cauliflower and water in medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until done but not mushy. Drain and return cauliflower to pan. Mash with potato masher or fork. Stir in soup mix. Gradually add the milk and mix thoroughly. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture nearly comes to a boil and is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. (This soup love to stick to the bottom of the pan so be sure to scrape the bottom.) Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.

Notes: I get the cauliflower at the salad bar in the grocery store – no waste and a lot less than buying a head of it. Broccoli can be substituted for the cauliflower. Frozen cauliflower can be used, just shorten cooking time. Reheats well in microwave over medium heat, stirring a couple of times. Some dried tarragon can be added with the soup mix.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 11:24:11 (permalink)
    I make a fair amount of different kinds of soups. I suggest you use some or all of the water you cook the cauliflower in for the finished soup. It will add a really good depth of flavor along with the other ingredients.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 11:51:50 (permalink)
    I suggest that you buy the whole cauliflower, discard the leaves and the obviously large stem. Then continue to separate the florettes. Trim the bottoms off and slice thinly and set aside. Start to sweat some onion in butter, add the thinly sliced bottoms and add chicken stock. Simmer awhile then add the florettes, cream and cheese. Thicken with roux. Garnish with mini cheddar pate a choux and some chopped chervil. Voila. Potage Dubarry!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 12:00:09 (permalink)
    Alas, poor Madame du Barry (one of Louis XV's lovers) was guillotined at the age of 47 on Dec. 7, 1793........I hope it was not because of the soup." />" />" />
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 14:16:12 (permalink)
    Oh no, clothier, it was not like that at all! She was one of Louis XV's courtesans (she started off being a cook in Paris then became a prositute).......she was forced to marry the Compte du Barry so that she could become part of the entourage of the royal court. Unfortunately, Marie Antoinette was not so enamoured with her, and when Louis XV died,she was accused of conspiring against the French Republic and was guillotined. How and why they ever named a cauliflower soup after this wench is a mystery to me, but it's always been known as Potage DuBarry. Go figure. The French......ah......that explains it!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 14:17:25 (permalink)
    Oh and one more last snarky question: just exactly WHAT IS SOUP WEATHER IN FLORIDA?? The chilly 60's??
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 14:34:07 (permalink)
    clothier, remember, there were several Louis' that were kings. The scenario you're thinking of probably happened during the reign of Louis XIV, the Sun King. I will go back through my French History files and find something to this effect, I'm sure. But I liked that transition..........from cook........to prostitute.........hmmm........
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 14:53:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

clothier, remember, there were several Louis' that were kings. The scenario you're thinking of probably happened during the reign of Louis XIV, the Sun King. I will go back through my French History files and find something to this effect, I'm sure. But I liked that transition..........from cook........to prostitute.........hmmm........

as long as you washed your hands first.

can I lick my fingers first??
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 14:55:19 (permalink)
    OK, we need to get back to the topic: Cauliflower Cheese Soup!!!!!!!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 15:07:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Soup, yeah, that's what we were talking about.

A can of campbell's cream of celery, mixed with a can of cheese soup, then add the frozen cauliflower. How am I doing so far?

Don't invite me to your house for the Holidays!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 15:11:56 (permalink)
    quote:

Well, it's not like I could type what I was thinking.

Which was what? A better, super duper deluxe version of Mme. Dubarry's soup?
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 15:29:33 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh and one more last snarky question: just exactly WHAT IS SOUP WEATHER IN FLORIDA?? The chilly 60's??

Soup weather in Florida is when we can turn off the AC and open up the house.

When do we get to hear the trip story about pheasant hunting in Iowa? Is it going to be its own forum?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 15:32:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cakes

quote:

Soup weather in Florida is when we can turn off the AC and open up the house.

When do we get to hear the trip story about pheasant hunting in Iowa? Is it going to be its own forum?

YES! as soon as I get all the pics posted to a web "host" and then do the formatting, should be tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for asking! P.S. Soup weather here is when it gets below zero.....brrrrr.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 15:40:13 (permalink)
    quote:

I went to visit my grandparents in FL once in July. It was about 150-160 degrees out, with the humidity in the low 300's, and we went out to eat. My grandmother ordered soup, and then she sent it back to the kitchen because it wasn't hot enough.

OMG!!!!!!!!! Was Granny wearing a mink coat too? " />
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 16:00:10 (permalink)
    quote:

Ok, snarky, it just happened to dip down to 41 last night....
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 16:04:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:

I'm gonna send you some soup right now.........as soon as I find out who won the martini contest. If I won, wake me up tomorrow and I'll send ya some then. Mme DuBarry's finest cauliflower cheese.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Cauliflower-Cheese Soup recipe? 2003/12/08 17:59:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:

32 in my parts!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1