Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
2011/09/13 03:11:34 (permalink)

Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe

Today, 9/13, is National Peanut Day.
Today is a celebration of the peanut, which isn’t really a nut at all. Technically, peanuts are legumes. Legumes are simple dry fruits in the same family as peas and beans.

What's your favorite recipe or a way you like to use or eat Peanuts?
Mine's a plain old Crunchy Peanut Butter sandwich with any kind of bread, (except that crappy, white, plastic supermarket bread)  and a cold glass of milk.
Or Home-made Peanut Butter Cookies with a cold glass of milk!

Peanuts are a remarkable food, highly nourishing to both the eater and the grower. Just ask George Washington Carver. They've suffered a dip in reputation in recent years, because of the one percent of Americans who have allergies to them. This number has doubled in recent years, likely because of the reverse placebo effect. Now we see advisories on candy bars and other products that say "This product was manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts."
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/09/13 03:14:43

20 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 07:24:40 (permalink)
    I was allergic to peanuts by virtue that I did not like the taste of them as a child. I was also allergic to broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage and other stinky vegetables....
    I now use them in a variety of ways in Asian cooking.  I make a peanut-cilantro sauce that rocks. My best dish using peanut butter is a Thai coconut/peanut curry soup with herbs and shrimp. Peanuts show up in my fried rice recipe. These are my go-to meals that I have made within the last month.
    That said, I still do not care for whole peanuts at a ballgame or a plain ol' PB sandwich.

mark 
    post edited by doggydaddy - 2011/09/13 07:34:41
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 11:15:41 (permalink)
    Used to love peanut butter and banana sandwiches growing up, about the only way I eat peanuts now is boiled or roasted.  I know, boring.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18655
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 11:45:41 (permalink)
    I love peanut  butter. My favorite brand is made in Columbus, Ohio -- Krema. There's nothing like a good peanut butter and onion sandwich. (Especially on "white, plastic supermarket bread." Make mine Wonder Bread, thank you.) The peanut butter cuts the onion odor effect on your breath and the onions cut the stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth effect of the peanut butter.

http://www.krema.com/
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 12:09:22 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    I love peanut  butter. My favorite brand is made in Columbus, Ohio -- Krema. There's nothing like a good peanut butter and onion sandwich. (Especially on "white, plastic supermarket bread." Make mine Wonder Bread, thank you.) The peanut butter cuts the onion odor effect on your breath and the onions cut the stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth effect of the peanut butter.
    http://www.krema.com/

That's probably the last combination I would have thought of, but then again, my brain doesn't work like yours Michael!" /> You're a true out of the box thinker!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 12:40:43 (permalink)
    Scoff as you wish. When I "forced"my girls to split one, starting the next day they started making and taking peanut butter and onion sandwiches for their school lunches.

Peanut butter and onion sandwiches are both nourishing and delicious. And it was those sandwiches, as well as pinto beans, that got me through some mighty tough times.

In fact, I think I'll go make one for lunch.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/09/13 12:45:25
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8490
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 13:35:47 (permalink)
    I rarely incorporate peanuts in cooking, but certainly love them! Salted peanuts on a sundae, dry roasted, in the shell ,red skinned for snacking. Besides a good old peanut butter and jelly on Wonder bread, My Mom taught me to like a peanut butter mayonnaise and iceburg lettuce sandwich.Somehow it works.I think I would like Mr.Hoffman's version with onion.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 18:07:46 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Scoff as you wish. When I "forced"my girls to split one, starting the next day they started making and taking peanut butter and onion sandwiches for their school lunches.
    Peanut butter and onion sandwiches are both nourishing and delicious. And it was those sandwiches, as well as pinto beans, that got me through some mighty tough times.

I wasn't "Scoffing", just thought it unusual. I'll try one for lunch tomorrow. What kind of onions do you use?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 18:26:30 (permalink)
    Here's a best of both worlds recipe:
    Soft Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 to 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, semisweet or milk chocolate

Preparation:
    Heat oven to 375°.
    Line a baking sheet with silicone liner or spray with baking spray.
    Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
    In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter and peanut butter together until light. Beat in sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
    Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
    Slowly beat in the flour mixture until blended.
    Fold in chocolate chips.
    Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, drop dough onto a baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies.
    Lightly press each cookie a few times with the tines of a fork.
    Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned around the edges.
    Makes 3 to 4 dozen, depending on size.

smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 22:53:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme

They've suffered a dip in reputation in recent years, because of the one percent of Americans who have allergies to them. This number has doubled in recent years, likely because of the reverse placebo effect. Now we see advisories on candy bars and other products that say "This product was manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts."

First of all making light of food allergies is ignorant and uninformed and dangerous.
    And you have absolutely no way to know the cause of the increase and it is merely your opinion and absolutely nothing more that suggests a likely cause is the placebo effect.

There are many many many more likely scenarios and explanations for the steep rise in food allergies.

Perhaps one of the most foolish claims you have ever made. And that is saying something!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/13 23:59:18 (permalink)
    smokestack lightning

Foodbme

They've suffered a dip in reputation in recent years, because of the one percent of Americans who have allergies to them. This number has doubled in recent years, likely because of the reverse placebo effect. Now we see advisories on candy bars and other products that say "This product was manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts."

First of all making light of food allergies is ignorant and uninformed and dangerous.
    And you have absolutely no way to know the cause of the increase and it is merely your opinion and absolutely nothing more that suggests a likely cause is the placebo effect.

There are many many many more likely scenarios and explanations for the steep rise in food allergies.

Perhaps one of the most foolish claims you have ever made. And that is saying something!

I didn't make the claim. It came from the source where I learned about National Peanut Day. You know what they say about Asses who assume stuff. Get a life. 
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/09/14 00:00:23
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/14 06:46:28 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

I wasn't "Scoffing", just thought it unusual. I'll try one for lunch tomorrow. What kind of onions do you use?

Whatever yellow or white onions I happen to have on hand.

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/14 10:39:51 (permalink)
    I don't use them in cooking or on salads but I love peanuts, roasted or boiled.  I'm currently on a Spanish red skin peanut binge and chase them with Mexican Coca-Cola.  Chocolate 'n peanut butter ice cream and peanut butter & apple jelly sandwiches are personal favorites.  One of my favorite restaurants in Nashville made a peanut butter carob candy that was outrageously delicious and I finally wrestled the recipe from them. 
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/09/14 10:44:03
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1023
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/14 13:45:36 (permalink)
    I don't mind the occasional peanut butter cup or pbj sandwich, but I just don't like peanuts enough to order any dish that has them in it, let alone cook anything with them.
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/15 19:38:48 (permalink)
    Thai peanut sauce is da bomb.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/15 19:56:11 (permalink)
    shortchef

You're right, and that's my only exception to peanuts in food.  The Thai peanut sauces I've had are outstanding.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/19 15:57:17 (permalink)
    I order cans of peanuts from a place in North Carolina. The ones we get here (even if they say jumbo Virginia ) are small and don't have a lot of taste (I mean Planters, etc.) The ones I get from NC are huge and delightful.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8075
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/19 16:17:29 (permalink)
    shortchef

AMEN!

I like peanuts dry roasted, boiled, in the shell but not the greasy kind in a can.

Love peanut butter and here's a weird recipe that if you didn't know what the ingredients were you'd swear I was lying.  It's so simple and everyone who loves peanut butter cookies, loves them.

Tofu Peanut Butter Cookies

One 18 oz jar of peanut butter  
    one 16 oz pkg of firm tofu   (you heard it here)
    2 cups sugar  (substitutes do not work)
    2 Tablespoons of vanilla

Mix all ingredients until well blended.
    Place 1-2 teaspoon size balls of dough on a cookie sheet.
    Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25-mins.

They are wonderful.

baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/19 23:12:29 (permalink)
    Occasionally I like roasted peanuts but am not a big fan - really don't like peanut butter - but I did hear this morning on the radio that the peanut crop this year was really bad and we can expect peanut prices to be up 30% or more.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/20 02:20:15 (permalink)
    baileysoriginal 
    but I did hear this morning on the radio that the peanut crop this year was really bad and we can expect peanut prices to be up 30% or more.

The floods washed all the pumpkins into Lake Champlain so Pumpkin prices are up, The TX drought killed cattle so beef prices are up. All we need now are locusts to wipe out the grain crops!
    cementhead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re:Celebrate the World's Most Versatile Foodstuff with Your Recipe 2011/09/20 12:27:08 (permalink)
    I like the peanut butter candy cakes made by Tastycake. Or homemade by my wife. Good stuff!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1