The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Wed, 08/1/12 2:14 PM (permalink)
Not generally given to "hero worship", I have only two autographed photos in my office; one was given me by Milton Friedman in 1975.  I am privileged to have been a student of his. 

Just as the writings of John Maynard Keynes dominated economic thought in the first half of the 20th. Century, Friedman's work dominated the latter half and continues today to influence any number of matters both great and small.

Sadly, it is not common for great economists also to be great teachers and communicators.  Happily, Friedman was a glowing exception.  Here, he uses a simple pencil to illustrate how markets and prices work; enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERbC7JyCfU

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
    Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Wed, 08/1/12 2:50 PM (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim.   This guy and his common sense was a major influence on me and many others, about what will work, and what won't work, and why. 

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
      Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Wed, 08/1/12 5:30 PM (permalink)
      Probably him and Thomas Sowell are two standouts for me whose knowledge of economics I never get tired of reading about, or watching interviews/debates with them. It can be a complex subject, but they could/can break it down in a manner in which even an average Joe like me could understand!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
        Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Wed, 08/1/12 7:53 PM (permalink)
        He was an excellent speaker who knew how to capture and hold the attention of an audience...without the feeling of being held hostage.

MetroplexJim

Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Wed, 08/1/12 8:31 PM (permalink)
          SeamusD

Probably him and Thomas Sowell are two standouts for me whose knowledge of economics I never get tired of reading about, or watching interviews/debates with them. It can be a complex subject, but they could/can break it down in a manner in which even an average Joe like me could understand!

Indeed, Thomas Sowell has that gift.  My former colleague, Walter E. Williams does as well.  I highly admire both those gentlemen.  Every now and then Walter does a "guest host" gig on national radio and usually has Dr. Sowell as a guest.  What entertaining and enlightening conversations these gentlemen have.  As CNN is down in the ratings, here's an idea:  give these two an hour in primetime.  It would be #1 in a heartbeat!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
            Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Thu, 08/2/12 5:24 AM (permalink)
            While Sowell & Williams are excellent, I don't think they have the ability to rise to the level of public awareness that Friedman had.
            "The Philosophy" needs a new high profile Champion to reach the general public and have an impact on business and government like Friedman did.
            Sowell & Williams tend to Preach to the Choir.
            We need a high profile, "Economic Billy Graham" and I don't know who that's going to be.
            Do You????? 
            <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 08/2/12 5:25 AM>

Tampico

• Total Posts: 84
              Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Thu, 08/2/12 6:19 AM (permalink)
              I think the government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem and very often makes the problem worse.
              He had some great quotes as well.
              <message edited by Tampico on Thu, 08/2/12 6:39 AM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Celebrating the centennial of Milton Friedman's birth Thu, 08/2/12 10:37 AM (permalink)
                Foodbme

While Sowell & Williams are excellent, I don't think they have the ability to rise to the level of public awareness that Friedman had.
                "The Philosophy" needs a new high profile Champion to reach the general public and have an impact on business and government like Friedman did.
                Sowell & Williams tend to Preach to the Choir.
                We need a high profile, "Economic Billy Graham" and I don't know who that's going to be.
                Do You????? 

Yes, I agree.

I didn't mention this as some might think it a "swipe" at Messrs. Sowell and Williams, but even they would agree that they are not economists of the rank of the magnificent Friedman whose brilliantly original technical work led to his being awarded the second Nobel Prize ever given for the Economic Sciences. 

Paul Samuelson received the first for his Foundations of Economic Analysis (not to be confused with his famous textbook!) which revolutionized the methods of economics.  Friedman's masterwork, A Monetary History of the U.S., revolutionized the understanding of the macroeconomy.  It should be noted that Samuelson's masterwork preceded Friedman's by about a decade.

BTW:  the great Lord Keynes said shortly before his death "I am not a "Keynesian"!  Friedman and Keynes are, in error, often thought of as philosophical opponents.  That is simply not the case.  In fact, I use this quote from Keynes under my e-mail "signature":

"The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens". 
                                                             --John Maynard Keynes

Friedman (and Sowell & Williams) would be first to agree!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com