The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Mon, 09/1/08 9:46 AM (permalink)
Yahoo posted this article om how so many famous chefs are "reinventing" the good old hamburger. Food for thought this labor day...Check out some of those ideas and photos!!!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/the-burger-wars-celebrity-chef-edition-245164

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Thu, 09/4/08 6:08 PM (permalink)
    the whole world tries to reinvent the wheel, but what do you always go back to?

tommyeats

• Total Posts: 277
      RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Thu, 09/4/08 7:05 PM (permalink)
      the article never uses the word "reinvent." it's just a list of talented celebrity chef driven burger restaurants. i would hardly call what Tourdondel is doing at BLT Burger, or even Flay's place from what I have read, a wild departure from beef on a bun.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
        RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Thu, 09/4/08 7:17 PM (permalink)
        It's true..seems they're just trying to make a GREAT burger...nothing weird or reinvented...many are very interesting...food for thought..or eating!

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
          RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Thu, 09/4/08 7:18 PM (permalink)
          The only thing I'm interested in is are any of these chefs investing their own money in any of these places?

tommyeats

RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Fri, 09/5/08 11:34 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Baah Ben

The only thing I'm interested in is are any of these chefs investing their own money in any of these places?

can i ask why that's important? just curious. it's not exactly odd to round up backers when opening *any* kind of business, much less a restaurant. the more the better.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
              RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Fri, 09/5/08 11:52 AM (permalink)
              With as quickly as restaurants turn over and go out of business, the less money I have in for a slice of the pie, the better. If your name alone gets you in on a slice of the pie, with less financial risk, why not? Wouldn't you?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Fri, 09/5/08 12:45 PM (permalink)
                If you're looking for Burger Recipes, checkout:
                http://www.buildabetterburger.com/winners

These are the Grand Prize Winners from the Sutter Home Wines Annual Burger Cookoff.
                First Prize - $50,000.00!

Baah Ben

RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Fri, 09/5/08 9:07 PM (permalink)
                  Tommy - Finding partners to put up the $ for a restaurant is no problem? Well, I'm retired and out of the business, but back in my day, it was never easy for any of my clients. I guess they didn't run in the right crowds.

Do you think Flay has any of his own money in these gourmet burger places? Personally, I don't. But, I'm jsut guessing and that's why I posted. That's what I'd love to find out. Most of these places we're talking about here in this post (gourmet burger places) are probably in the neighborhood of $600,000 in today's prices? Maybe more? At one time it was like $300 a square foot. I have no idea anymore. I've been out of the business (restaurant planning)for some time.

If you don't have a famous name or a track record to bring to investors (doctors, lawyers, celebrities) who are you going to get to invest? A bank? I don't think so. These wealthy investors want to be able to tell their friends they've invested with a Bobby Flay don't you think? But, are you saying the common Joe businessman who wants to open a restaurant can get investors, too?

When you open a place with OP$, you sleep pretty good at night. I say few get that opportunity. You say it's easy to get investors without being some sort of a celebrity. I guess I find that very hard
                  to believe. I may be totally off on this.

Incidently, I've said this many times before on this site...I envy these guys like Flay. I am not jealous. I just find it very impressive that they can do it. Do you think Flay had to put up any of his own money in his Vegas restaurant? Aren't you interested to find that out? I know I am.

tommyeats

RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Fri, 09/5/08 10:08 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

Tommy - Finding partners to put up the $ for a restaurant is no problem? Well, I'm retired and out of the business, but back in my day, it was never easy for any of my clients. I guess they didn't run in the right crowds.

i didn't say that. i said that it's not out of the ordinary to wrangle up some capital when opening a business, especially a business like a restaurant. bobby flay's name, for example, is his currency. do i think he took money out of his money market account to open this restaurant or any of the last 5 he's opened? no, of course not. i don't have to wonder. there's a pretty good chance that he didn't.

i got the impression you think lesser of him or the restaurant because of this. maybe because you stated it's "the only thing" you're interested in (not the food i assumed, from that statement, and i apologize if i read too much into it). i certainly don't hold it against him or his restaurants. it's smart business. mitigating risk. leveraging your track record.

Baah Ben

RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Fri, 09/5/08 10:55 PM (permalink)
                      Tommy..No, absolutely not. You did misunderstand my post. Nope, I think more of him if he can generate other peoples' $. More power to him. No, I really said I was only interested in finding out if he had his own $ in this burger chain. Nothing more....Hoping maybe somebody knew or read something. That was it.

tommyeats

RE: Celebrity Chef Gourmet Burger Wars Sat, 09/6/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                        quote:

Tommy..No, absolutely not. You did misunderstand my post. Nope, I think more of him if he can generate other peoples' $. More power to him. No, I really said I was only interested in finding out if he had his own $ in this burger chain. Nothing more....Hoping maybe somebody knew or read something. That was it.

ah. well please accept my apologies! so often people make loaded statements instead of just coming right out and saying what they mean. i guess i'm jaded!

i don't think anyone on this forum is going to know the answer to your question. but i think it's pretty reasonable to assume the answer is no. why would he?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com