Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/23 07:00:44 (permalink)
The New Perry Hotel in Perry GA always served a veggie plate with celery, olives, pickles, (maybe something else) and those rock hard little biscuits at every meal.  I got very tired of it when I was sequestered there during a murder trial.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/23 13:07:56 (permalink)
Diva, hmm, what's missing? Maybe some of those little round mild peppers? Maybe not?

You post somehow reminded me of those celery sticks stuffed w/ pamento cheese that my family has during the holidays. Love that stuff!

Oh, PAGE 3!!!

Like Arnold says "I'll be back!".
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/23 14:14:56 (permalink)
5. What famous award winning chili recipe containes celery?

C.V. Woods Jr's 1969 Trelingua Chili Cook Off winning chili recipe.

Was it the chopped celery, or the use of chicked stock, that helped him beat out Wick Fowler and "Chili Man" DeFrates to become the first all out winner of the Trelingua cook off? For several REAL strange reasons no all out winner could be declaired the prior two years of the contest. Woody, as many called him, was quite an interesting character. He was the guy who  had London Bridge moved to Arizona, was a key player in building Disneyland, and was married to actress Joann Dru. Some say his knowledge of celery was the key to all his success. Oh, is's maybe just me who says that? :~)

6. What famous hot dog sauce contains celery seasoning?

This is one I thought you Roadfooders would get;

New York System Hot Wieners

This is the hot dog Rhode Island is famous for. Some call these Rhode Island Style Hot Wieners also called  "Gaggas". Some say the amount of celery salt used in this chili sauce is almost overpowering. Many say it's just right. I can't beleive yall didn't get this one!

Anymore Pop Quiz celery questions yall???
Joe
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/23 23:38:46 (permalink)
PapaJoe, I have eaten many a celery stick with pimento cheese.  Also celery stuffed with peanut butter.  Yum!  Just never had either one at a restaurant.  Mom would usually serve these delacacies with Macaroni casserole (goulash to you Northerners) and garlic bread.  My dad & brother wouldn't touch them so more for me!
post edited by pcdiva - 2010/10/23 23:39:56
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/24 01:05:55 (permalink)
I'll bet I'm the only certifiable pimento cheese-aholic on Roadfood. 
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/24 04:38:48
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/24 14:10:17 (permalink)
Diva, I also love both PC and PB stuffed celery. W/ that Goulash they sound great. And would be a side dish. After looking around the net I found houndreds of recipes for stuffing celery. I do wonder why almost no restaurants offer stuffef celery?

Nope Mellow... I love piminto cheese also! We always have it at my house. Prices brand. Homemade even better but...
Joe
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/24 17:00:27 (permalink)
A restaurant called Cold Turkey opened this year in Cincinnati

They served a stuffed celery appetizer

They went out of business within 2 months
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/24 18:28:16 (permalink)
TJ, great news... Oh... out of business... shoot!

I'm thinking about a new restaurant called ... hmm, not sure???  that serves stuffed celery, celery soup, celery w/ chili, celery in stew... just everything w/ celery.

I only need 2 million to get started. Oh, but I am not looking for a job...  but I would consider a position in an advisory capacity, :~)

Just joking yall! Who wants to eat celery anyway.... But???
Joe
MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/24 20:22:55 (permalink)
PapaJoe8
Nope Mellow... I love piminto cheese also! We always have it at my house. Prices brand. Homemade even better but...
Joe

But I'm a certifiable pimento cheese-aholic, and I'm a card carrying member of P.C.A. (Pimento Cheesers Anonymous).  Not only have I been tweaking my recipe for 10 years, I collect pimento cheese recipes.  Also, I generally have a big bowl of my spread in the fridge and hand out tubs or jars of it to friends for gifts.   I want to stay on the subject of celery, so let me add that I bought some celery today for two purposes:  to stuff with pimento cheese and to have as a topping for chili rice.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/25 18:14:49 (permalink)
Mellow, OK I guess I'm not at you PC level yet. My made great PC but I just do thejalapeno Price's. The closest I come to making my own is to add chopped jalapenos to cheep store brands.

Multi pourpose celery... neat! Shanghai Jimmy's... neat! Don't forget the lemonade w that chili. Get real brave... sweet relish. I'm to tellin you to do that but Elvis was said to like it that way.
Joe
carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/26 22:16:47 (permalink)
Mellow, you may be certifiable, but you are not the only certified pimiento-cheese-aholic around here. I do not have to tweak my pimiento cheese. I do not have to collect recipes. I already have the "Best Pimiento Cheese EVER" recipe. People who hate Pimiento Cheese eat mine & want to take some home. People beg me to give them the recipe. They even threaten me. (On the other hand, my sister threatened me when I considered divulging the recipe to one of HER friends. She does not know that I have already given it to 2 of my friends.) I took a batch to my local Gas/Service Station guys & my car passes inspection every year regardless of its passability. It was my Mother's recipe (She was the one who advised me to give it to people that I wanted to ... bribe?  ) If this was my OWN recipe, I would be guilty of boasting, but I cannot claim author-ship of it. Actually, my Mother got it from a now out of print cookbook a friend of her's published ("Beat Until Stiff") I will say this: Cayenne pepper and garlic. And nary a speck of sugar. If you collect Pimiento Cheese recipes, you may already have it. But if that's so, I have to wonder why you're still collecting & tweaking. Unless you're of the sugared Pimiento Cheese Ilk. Then I'll understand. Sort of. Not really. 

And Papa, I really DO believe that it WAS Elvis you saw that day. "In The House!" 

CiaoMeowww! SBQ
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/26 22:32:05 (permalink)
beat until stiff?
I'm in!
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/26 22:43:21 (permalink)
I thought it was supposed to work the other way round Bill.
carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/26 22:48:53 (permalink)
Does this thread need to be moved to "OFF TOPICS"? 
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 00:38:23 (permalink)
G-d could I say something funny right now SBQ!

I'll be good.

smirk

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 01:01:46 (permalink)
SBQ:  Glad to know there's another pimento cheese lover out there.  Well, this wordsmith may not have used the right words.  My classic recipe is already perfected (no sugar), so I don't have to tweak it, as such.  I simply try out new combinations and collect recipes for fun because I'm an enthusiast.  I'm also fascinated with some of the ingredients others use.  My classic recipe already draws raves from pimento cheese lovers and haters alike.  One of the haters, a restaurant owner, loves it so much she wants to put it on the menu if I'll make it in a commercial kitchen.  (She even handed out samples to friends and neighbors without my knowledge.)   Another restaurant guy (who hates both pimento cheese and mayonnaise) loves it in his grits and always asks when my next batch is coming.  Go figure.  Don't want to produce it commercially, but I do enjoy making it, and it may well fit the definition of a hobby or obsession, I don't know.  Plus, it makes a great personal gift for most any occasion.  Oh, by the way: “Celery
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/27 18:54:43
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 02:52:03 (permalink)
SBQ, thanks! Now I can say that someone believes I saw Elvis eat some Chili Rice. And thanks for the secret PC recipe hints! Oh, but please don't suggest this thread be moved down there with "ketchup on a hot dog"!

Bill... no coment!

Dawn, watch that thinkin! And... shoot!!! You can be good anytime.

Mellow, we must talk more about your recipe. I think SBQ has told us all she's gonna. To bad the PM is broke. Celery... if it wasn't for celery all of us would not be talkin bout Pimento Cheese right now!

Oh, I gave some recipe ideas For Shanghai Jimmy's at that thread. Celery was of coarse a suggested topping for chili rice.

But oh, if you have not figured this out already... If you mention celery, celery salt, celery seed, or any seasoning that contains any type of celery seasoning, in the same paragraph as a secet recipe for Cincinnati Chili here at Roadfood, or anywhere near Cincinnati, ... DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! Oyster crackers, as a side, are OK though.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/28 12:11:18
MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 07:40:42 (permalink)
SBQ, PapaJoe8: I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, and it was a nice one, but perhaps the best chili I ever tasted was at the DFW airport around 1985-1986.  Wonderful chunks of beef in a uniquely flavored chili.  The menu indicated it was an award-winning recipe, and I would love to have it.  I wish I'd asked for it.  I'm pretty sure it didn't have celery in it, though.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/27 09:49:23
MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 09:35:07 (permalink)
SBQ:  I didn't want to address this, but just like The Four Tops, there are times I can't help myself.  Your mother's friend certainly had a sense of humor; the book title sounds like something Paula Deen would dream up. 
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/27 18:57:42
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 09:42:56 (permalink)
PapaJoe8
If you mention celery, celery salt, celery seed, or any seasoning that contains any type of celery seasoning, in the same paragraph as a secet recipe for Cincinnati Chili here at Roadfood, or anywhere near Cincinnati, ... DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!
I don't think this warning is really necessary - near as I can tell, there's only one person of the thousands on these forums that does this, and he's already aware (at least for the next 6-12 months) of it.  Unfortunately, after the 6-12 months is up, the same person (historically speaking) starts it all over again.  So I would just recommend a private communication to that one person, instead of posting it publicly.  That said, I have no authority here, so that is nothing more than a (hopefully helpful) suggestion
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/10/27 09:47:43
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4545
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 11:29:32 (permalink)
HUH???

"Shrug"
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 13:00:23 (permalink)
joerogo
HUH???

"Shrug"
Well, that was helpful.  I hope all my posts are at least this helpful, if not more.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6477
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 16:32:51 (permalink)
I just read a recipe for bleu cheese stuffed celery that sounded wonderful, may try it for turkey day
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 17:02:51 (permalink)
CajunKing
I just read a recipe for bleu cheese stuffed celery that sounded wonderful, may try it for turkey day

CK, In a blender I mix, one chunk of blue cheese, one pint sour cream and enough heavy cream to make it smooth, garnish with fresh chives  We dip rather than stuff.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 17:09:55 (permalink)
joerogo

CajunKing

We dip rather than stuff.

And I got in trouble for MY comment?
bdtn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 17:11:12 (permalink)
the french cook  celery and celery root many ways as a side dish.
celery stalks
boil celery till tender  then top with sauce ie
mornay =cheese sauce then broil(gratinee)
with marrow=topped with merrow sauce and small puff pastrys filled with merrow.
milanaise=with butter and pamisan then gratinee.
hollendaise=like asparagus with hollendaise.
puree=half celery and half potato with butter
the root is good as a purre with butter and parm
also creamed or in soup.
if you only have celery the options are endless.
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 18:16:51 (permalink)
Many of our farmers' markets sell untrimmed celery like this.  The leaves are delicious mixed in with other greens for a salad. 

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/27 18:44:02 (permalink)
Or perhaps in Green Goddess dressing!
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/27 18:45:03
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/28 10:11:30 (permalink)
RubyRose

Many of our farmers' markets sell untrimmed celery like this.  The leaves are delicious mixed in with other greens for a salad. 

RubyRose, What a great idea, never thought of it.  I am sure it would add great flavor to a salad.

bill voss, You're killin me!

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! 2010/10/28 13:09:30 (permalink)
Mellow, hmm what could have been that restauants name. I never had any chili at the airport. Hmm? what else did they serve... could be a clue? It mighta been a local DFW place that set up at the airport. SBQ, any guesses??? But, I doubt you coulda told there was celery in Woodys award winning recipe. Not enough to taste but enough to change things is the key to celery in chili.

SBQ, Mellow's "can't help myself" book title deal? Did I miss something back on P.3? Ill go look.

CK, I was gonna post about stuffed celery on the "thanksgiving" thread. Yes. I saw a great soundng Blue Cheese recipe also. Now e have one here.

Joe, thanks for the recipe! Stuffers, dippers.. midnight tippers. Hmm maybe a good song? You are the first to bring up celery dipping I think? Oh, and "HUH???" You would need to re read all of the Cincinnati Chili threads here to understand.

Bill, you... got in trouble? Naa, not you! I will need to research this to know what you are talking about.

Bdnt, thanks for the great info! I have never heard of most of those dishes. My French is a bit lacking I think. "if you only have celery" Well put and yes... it's that mother of invention deal. :~)

Ruby, nice celery pic! And ahh, in salads... yes! Thanks for the reminder! The flavor of celery, in the right praportions, can add a BIG pluss to many things.

Oh Mellow, Green Godess? does it already have celery? Or are you saying to add some?

Oh, Joe... yep it's good in salads! Hmm, what about on a burger or... a hot dog? Oh, I guess the Chicago and, Rhode Island, folks already know the importance of celery and hot dogs! Hmm, no famous burgers w/ celery seasonings of some kind? Hmmm What about "Joe & Joe's Famous Celery Burgers" or maybe just make the celery a "secret ingreadient" ???

Is there a famous regional burger anywhere that has celery seasoning of some kind?  If not... why not! Lettuce, tomatoes, celery good in salads, but no celery on a burger? There should be. Ahh, maybe celery salt and sport peppers? Or maybe a kinda Rhode Island style hot dog sorta burger chili? Or... ??????
Joe
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1